PDA

View Full Version : Heidi/Princess vet visit yesterday

Michelle
04-12-2006, 01:40 PM
Well I took Heidi and Princess to the Animal Shelter yesterday to see the vet and have their vaccination records verified for the Off leash Dog park near my house. They require the vet to sign off on the application and verify the vaccinations and Rabies.

So, while we were there, we had the girls weighed :shocked: I have been dying to see how much Heidi really weighs cause I think she needs to loose a pound or two..

Princess has maintained her weight well, she is 10.4 lbs and was the same weight in November when we visited the breeders, they have a scale there.

Heidi is now 14.7 lbs... Not so so bad,,, since she is a Tweenie and stature wise she is much larger than Princess. In November Heidi weighed in at 12.8 lbs at the breeder. so Heidi has gained two pounds since November..

I cut her food down at night and she will be getting a lot more exercise in the off leash dog park near our house. I plan on taking them there a few times a week to run their silly little behinds off. They run a lot in the backyard, but still I think they would enjoy the park.

I had to buy their Heartguard this time, and wow :shocked: :shocked: I had no idea that stuff was so expensive, the same thing with the flea and tick medication.. :shocked: :shocked:

I guess I was spoiled the first year with them cause my step-mom gave me a year's supply of that stuff for free, she used to get her stuff free from the Animal Shelter since she worked for them, but now they make all the employees pay for everything, I got Heidi and Princess spayed for free right before they changed their policy..

So, anyway!!!, I could not belive how expensive that stuff is,, my goodness,

I opted to not buy the K-9 Advantix this year cause I just can't afford over $100 for only 3 months worth of that stuff,, so I think I am going to try the BioSpot it is much more resonable and I read some good things about it, so I will give it a whirl..

We do not have any problems with Fleas or Ticks where we live, but since they will be going to the Off leash dog park I am a little apprehensive about taking them there with No protection at all from Fleas and Ticks in case some other doggies are there that have gotten into some infested areas or if those other dogs go into the Forest Preserves..

HotDogMama
04-12-2006, 02:08 PM
That is about the same as what Molly weighs, and I have cut her food back a little and she seems to be slimming down some. Glad the visit went good!! All the prevenitives give me a heartattack everytime I have to buy em, you were lucky to get them free for a WHOLE year, :wow: But I guess they are worth the $$ in the end if something were to happen to them!

Bella's Mom
04-12-2006, 02:17 PM
Meds are expensive. I just picked up Bella's last week and about fainted. She's well worth it and then some but geez..... :shocked:

Mama S.
04-12-2006, 05:08 PM
Try buying for 8:rotfl: :rotfl: I tease Doc all the time about riding in his truck that I'm buying!!Oh well, I'd spend it on something stupid otherwise so it's money well spent!
Sandi

Patt
04-12-2006, 06:14 PM
Michelle, I'm glad the visit went well. Yes, the flea/tick products are expensive but sometimes you have to use them to control the flea populations. I have heard bad things about Bio-Spot but actually anything you use could have adverse reactions. After applying the flea prevention of your choice always keep an eye on your pet for a week or so. If you see any symptoms of them having a reaction,

1. Bathe immediately in mild soap and rinse with large amounts of water.
2. If signs continue consult with your vet ASAP.
3. Report it to the manufacture and US EPA.

Jen
04-13-2006, 10:31 AM
I'm glad the visit went well. We use Frontline on Tasha, no problems, and you can get a better deal online with a reputable supplier like Drs Foster & Smith. I also have bought some from EntirelyPets.com, and looked up the info to make sure its not counterfeit and it was fine. But there are a lot of fakes out there, so do be careful where you buy. Some won't do anything, others can be harmful to your dogs.

Mama Sandi should get a bulk discount on Flea/tick/heartworm meds! :lol: