PDA

View Full Version : Germy raw chicken kisses--am I paranoid?

Jen
04-12-2006, 03:22 PM
Ok, beef doesn't bother me, but when I feed Tasha the raw medallions I worry about her licking my face and hands and giving me chicken "germs". So, for those who feed raw or medallions, should I be worried about getting bacteria laden Tasha kisses? Is there a time period, 30 min, 60 min, after which its safe? :scratch:

K2
04-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Look Mom~I am NOT crazy!!!

I was just pondering this as well. :) Okay, so right now Pippit eats and then I wipe his face, ears and paws with a baby wipe. But I'm wondering the same thing.

I hope someone has the answer....:confused:

Michelle
04-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Ummm,, I'm not sure about the time frame, I was told to watch the germy kisses after eating raw too, but I don't know for how long, I think an hour would probably be good, :scratch: :scratch:

Lisa
04-12-2006, 03:45 PM
I give them either a CET chew or brush their teeth after dinner and hope for the best. You're not alone Jen!

So far, neither Rafi or I have never gotten ill from their kisses.

Jen
04-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Its a good way to get me motivated to brush her teeth. I'll start doing that tonight! And thanks, I'm glad I'm not alone. Though if Mama Sandi hasn't gotten sick getting kisses from 8 raw eatin' puppers, maybe I'm worrying in vain???

Mama S.
04-12-2006, 05:00 PM
I guess I have the Mama don't get sick from nuttin factor riding with me! I never even thought about the germ factor other than doing a good job of cleaning the area I use to cut up and bag their meat! PJ is the germ phobe, he still swears I'm going to kill him feeding the dogs:rotfl: This from the man who ate a spider on a dare :duh:
I must admit that I take the bag outside, hand out everyone's dinner then go back in the house putting the doggy door flap in to lock them out. They normally take less than 15 minutes to eat then I let everyone back in and of course since it's been a WHOLE 15 minutes since they saw me last I have to get kisses from everyone!!
Sandi

Patt
04-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Personally I would think you would have a big worry after they ate raw chicken or even the area they are eating in. :scratch: It is terrible that one has to be so careful with any raw meats now days. I remember a long time ago we thought nothing of handling meat with bare hands with very little worry of taking ill. It's quite different today!

JanUet
04-12-2006, 06:53 PM
I don't really think of it as being GERMY. I always handle the meat before I cook it and have a great experience playing with Hamburger meat (Ground Beef) when i make Meatloaf or Meatballs. Just squeezing it thru my fingers makes me giddy, especailly when you crack an egg into it ( call me weird..I know ya want to)

I wash my hands with an antibiotic soap twice and then clean up the pupperz mats with an antibiotic (twice)as well. I launder the tablecloths every other day.

I don't wipe their mouths or paws ( I just didn't think about it)

oceangirls
04-12-2006, 07:04 PM
I always handle the meat before I cook it and have a great experience playing with Hamburger meat (Ground Beef) when i make Meatloaf or Meatballs. Just squeezing it thru my fingers makes me giddy, especailly when you crack an egg into it ( call me weird..I know ya want to)

mental note: when offered a meatball at Janet's house, politely decline and just eat the spaghetti plain. :D

Courtney
04-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Do your dogs eat poop, lick their butts or drink out of the toilet? And have you gotten sick from that? Bacteria is EVERYWHERE!! Even in regular dog food! IMO there are standards for human-grade meat, so when it is defrosted/handled properly, risks are low. So, I am not worried and I don't sanitize my dogs (the kitchen counters and sink and cutting boards, you bet) and I have never gotten ill in more than a year of doing this! :)

K2
04-12-2006, 08:43 PM
mental note: when offered a meatball at Janet's house, politely decline and just eat the spaghetti plain. :D

Very good to remember!!

Rafi
04-13-2006, 02:27 AM
I would imagine its the same Idea when people get salmonela from handling reptiles that are fed raw food.

Michelle
04-13-2006, 09:55 AM

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

jenfer
04-13-2006, 11:32 AM
:lol: :lol: great idea, Kim. :D