View Full Version : Raw and Gaining Weight

K2
04-13-2006, 01:57 PM
Okay, Pippit has been on Raw since Saturday. Even my mom said last night that he looks heavier. So, I weighed him. Sure enough, he is now 14.5lbs. He's gained a pound. I am giving him about 4oz of chicken right now. If he's gaining weight on that~how much should I give him? Also, he's on an antibiotic from his dental (Clavamox I think) could this be causing the gain?

Mama S.
04-13-2006, 02:05 PM
Hmmmm - my guys all gained a bit when I took them off kibble and onto raw but I'm pretty sure that it was due to them losing fat and gaining muscle as they look smaller yet are firmer:scratch:
Sandi

Michelle
04-13-2006, 03:05 PM
Hmmmm, Karen, that seems like a lot of weight to gain in just a few days are you sure that Pippit was only 13.5 lbs right before you started him on Raw??

I would be freaking out right about now if Heidi gained another pound that quickly. Right now she is 14.7lbs pounds, but I think I can subtract 7 ounces for her collar, tags and her hug-a-dox harness that was on her when she got weighed the other day..

so at 14lbs, I am giving Heidi 1/4 cup of kibble in the AM which she hardly eats any of it. then at night she gets 2 medallions or a raw chicken thigh or pork rib. I don't have a scale so I don't know how much I am giving her when I give the raw from scratch. I'm waiting to see how much weight she will loose. I used to give her 3 medallions at night, but I want her to loose at least one pound.

Do you give Pippit the raw chicken with the skin on??, Maybe all that extra fat caused the weight gain, I always take the skin off when I give them the chicken thighs. :scratch:

Jen
04-13-2006, 03:10 PM
It sounds like a big weight gain in a week. I'd suspect the meds too--anyone have experience with them?

K2
04-13-2006, 03:18 PM
When he had his dental on the Monday before he started raw, he was 13.9(and being the obsessive person that I am~especially with scales~I know that the vet's scale is almost a half a pound heavier than the one at home. I'm going to weigh him again tonight and hope it was just the scale being off...

I leave a bit of the skin on, but take most of it off.