PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of dogs growling...

Anatresia
04-13-2006, 02:34 PM
Miss Rigby and Butters have not been getting a lot of chewies lately because of their diets. Today, I needed time to clean my closets, so I used a chewie as a diversion.

As soon as I came close to her, she started shaking, with her head bowed. I proceeded to get in close, as she needs to learn she can't give me her attitude, and she started growling and growling. I said, "No. No growl." and she just sat there shaking and looking pathetic.

I've had dogs growl over food before (not precious Butters) but I've never seen them shake and act submissive while growling. it goes with her evil/scared personality, I guess, but I'd never seen it.

I am wondering what to do in this situation. If I scold her, she just thinks I'm being aggressive to get the bone. If I coddle her, I'm teaching her that it's okay to growl at me. What would you all suggest?

(She is SO high maintenance. Does anyone want her??? If she weren't so darn cute...)

Alex's Mom
04-13-2006, 02:58 PM
That was Alex when she first arrived. Patience patience patience is the key, and not getting aggressive back, but just being firm in your response. If she's reacting by stopping when you tell her to, that's ok, even if she does look pathetic. Another dog would just accept that she's backed down and move on, and that's what it sounds like you've been doing! she should eventually give up on the growling and just look pathetic! :) At least, that's what happened with Alex. She's never shown any food aggression with me since she was a very young dog (although I wouldn't suggest that someone she doesn't know try it!) You're on the right track, from the sounds of it!! Way to go!!!!! :appl:It'll get better, just needs a lot of work.

quavec
04-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Ah...but then who would Mr. Butters play with? I'd take HIM in a heartbeat - just to see DH's confusion as to who is who :rotfl:

I have no advice though. Interested in what everyone has to say.

Jen
04-13-2006, 03:12 PM
Tasha growls when we try to take the chewy. We give her a firm "drop it" which never works. Then we either trade for hot dog or cheese, or go for the force method. Grab treat, pull gently, eventually she gives in--though often the front paws come up off the floor!!

So not the best advice as its a problem for us too. But taking it when she growls strikes me as a good idea--you're the alpha!

Michelle
04-13-2006, 04:13 PM
I would start practicing right away with taking away the chewy every few minutes. It takes some patience to sit there and keep doing this, but this is what we had to do with Heidi and Princess. As I mentioned before in another post, H and P now know that at anytime me, Napoleon or Rachel will come up to them and just take whatever they have out of their mouth.

The chewy's and the bones seem to be the big thing that gets them going with that aggressive growling. We started off by never leaving them alone to chew it for more than a few minutes at a time and we just kept at it until they finally understood that we are the Boss, and we may come to them at any point and just take it away..

I would start out with letting them have the chewy for about 2-3 minutes, then walk up to them and start taking it away, if they growl just a firm NO and a little pat on the nose with your finger, and look real mean too when you say it to them. I don't give them my happy face when I was doing this.

Then i increased it to every 5 minutes, then every 10 minutes, 15 minutes, etc.. so you get to the point that they never know when you are coming to take it away and they get so used to you doing it,

Rachel and her friends can now safely take anything away from H and P without them growling or getting aggressive.