View Full Version : To Skin, or Not to Skin...That is the Question

Puppen
04-15-2006, 03:44 PM
Boy William Shakesphere had No idea how many ways his nice little quote would be used in a billion different ways! :rolleyes:
But Yep, that is my question...I'm sure it's answered here somwhere but I've been through a few posts...okay A Lot of posts and only saw the reference once about skin on / off a chicken theigh. Although they all did really well this morning with their first chickie legs...the skin seemed to be forming a bit of a problem...ie; was coming off in long threads...I'm wondering, should I score the skin or just remove it all together:confused: . Don't ask their weight, no clue, I don't even OWN a bathroom scale!! :sosad: Hub and I are going shopping either tonight or tomorrow, I plan to pick one up. :shocked: :rotfl: scarey thought! Also goign to get a food scale, since they aren't expensive and just make sure I am not Over Feeding..Esp Fawna...!!!:scale:
Anyway, I'm thinking I should probably just take the skin off, but leave some of the more (pardon the grossness) slimey fat attached? I am also currently in the works of making a deal with the butcher about 13 miles away to let me have scrap meaty bones and intrails etc. :) I hope he will be agreeable to freezing them and letting me buy at a fraction of the cost or just take once a week or something!! I would think this would be agreeable since a lot of that just ends up in the waste pit anyway!! And what about Pork items? I've gotten mixed signals about pork and want to be clear about the take on pork.
Thanks tons, in advance, for the help! (BTW..There has been NO begging for snacks yet today and usually with in 4 hours after breakfast they are wanting snacks! It's been almost 7 hours since the chickie legs at 7am!! Huge Breakthrough!! :banana:

Mama S.
04-15-2006, 06:42 PM
I'd bow to COurtney's vast experience but I leave the skin and fat on.
Sandi

JanUet
04-15-2006, 06:48 PM
I DID leave the skin on....But will be removing it the next time I give my 2 chicken.
I have a good chuckle to myself when Casey tries to pull of the skin! :rotfl:

Puppen
04-15-2006, 07:38 PM
I took the skin off this evening and it went MUCH better. Puppen concerns me with the very center of the leg, it's so skinny and she gets that piece pretty short, I worry she will give up trying to chew it and will try to swallow it! Both times she acted like she was about to try that but somehow she got it chewed some I guess cause there wasn't much of that piece left, fawna and emmy Both left the skinny part lay.

Michelle
04-17-2006, 02:31 PM
I always take the skin off the chicken thigh, but leave the other fat on along the sides. I figured if they ate too much of the skin and the fat they would get runny poopys.

Jen
04-18-2006, 10:07 AM
I would think that if it bother them, you could take the skin off....but I'll be interested to hear what Courtney has to say....

Courtney
04-18-2006, 12:10 PM
When you first start feeding raw you can remove the skin. But eventually when they handle the switch OK, you want to add it back on and feed it. The fat is GOOD for them - dogs use fat for energy! It is grains/carbs that make dogs fat, not actual fat. Or something to that effect. :)