PDA

View Full Version : Poor Amanda

lotsadox
04-16-2006, 12:32 PM
I finally made the decision that I'm going to have to start diapering Amanda. :sosad: She really hates it so I've been putting it off and just mopping floors a lot, but it's gotten to where she only makes it outside maybe 10% of the time. Yesterday after we got home from the car show at about 3:00 I mopped the floor 3 times before bed. :shocked: I think I'm going to go to Petco tomorrow and see if I can buy some clippers to clip her rear end so that it will be easier to keep her clean. I have to bathe her every other day now and use the Nature's Miracle wipes in between to keep her clean. I'll probably have to bathe her everyday now that I'm diapering her. It would be much easier to bathe her if her hair was shorter. I'm really not looking forward to this, but it will be easier than mopping all the time and coming home to a stinky house every evening. I guess I'm going to have to start clipping coupons for pampers! :D

Lisa
04-16-2006, 12:41 PM
Awww, poor Amanda! How old is she? That is :sosad: , but I would have to do the same and try a diaper.

Patt
04-16-2006, 12:42 PM
I'm sorry to hear this, I hope she won't mind the panties. :crossfin:
When Gretel & Dodger were with us, I washed the floors a min of 3 times a day so I know exactly what you are going through. Have you tried "DES"? I have previously used this medication and it takes care of this problem.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_diethylstilbestrol__des_.html

lotsadox
04-16-2006, 12:45 PM
Amanda was 17 in January and has had some problems ever since her back surgery. The main problem right now is that she can hardly walk and that combined with diminished control means she usually can't get to the doggie door in time. It's really sad, but I'm trying to make her remaining years as good as possible. She still loves her food and treats and gets excited about stuff so I feel that her quality of life is quite good. She's already outlived her mother by a year. We'll see how she does.

oceangirls
04-16-2006, 12:49 PM
I'm sorry to hear this. Totally agree with your decision, though.

Hey Amanda, see if mom can find you some underpants with flowers or hearts, maybe something pink? - pretty lingerie is very important to us ladies!!:hearts:

Patt
04-16-2006, 12:55 PM
Hey Patrice, you are the best mom! :appl: Sounds like Amanda is doing wonderful and has good quality of life. :hug99: :hug99: to both of you.

catstamm
04-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Poor Amanda....I hope she adjusts well...not to put a damper on things but how is her quality of life? What medical conditions does she have? Is she in pain? Is she happy?...17 yrs old GO amanda :cheer2: :cheer2: Amanda is very lucky to have you :angel7:

Alex's Mom
04-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Good for you, Patrice! I can relate...Alex is getting to that stage, and I must admit I've also considered the diaper route. We're not quite there yet, though! A friend of mine who's a nurse at our local children's hospital has given me a whole bunch of washable crib liners (not the right word...they're basically a heavy cozy material on top sewn to a lightly rubberized underlayer) which has made my life (and bed and furniture and floor, on occasion!) much easier! Sounds like Amanda's still got a great quality of life...a grand dowager dachsie indeed! :hearts: :hearts: seniors!

Mama S.
04-16-2006, 01:57 PM
Just make sure her don't get no frilly junk!! Oour gorgeous sentios gotta have some dignity left!!! Poor sweet lady! So glad she is with someone who loves her soooo much!!
Sandi

HotDogMama
04-16-2006, 08:29 PM
:hug99: That must be a hard decision for you to make, give her a kissie from me, I'm sure it will make things easier on everyone, what a sweetie she must be, probaly embarasses her that she can't make it outside. :hearts: :sosad:

lotsadox
04-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Poor Amanda....I hope she adjusts well...not to put a damper on things but how is her quality of life? What medical conditions does she have? Is she in pain? Is she happy?...17 yrs old GO amanda :cheer2: :cheer2: Amanda is very lucky to have you :angel7:

Other than the usual (doesn't hear or see well, slight weakening of the heart) and weakness in her rear end relating to her back surgery 8 or so years ago, she's in good health. No pain and seems happy. She loves to bark at me, the other dogs, for her food whenever and she has a great appetite so I consider that her quality of life is pretty good. She sleeps a lot, but at 17 that's to be expected.

Jen
04-17-2006, 09:51 AM
Sounds like Amanda is doing very well, given her age, and perhaps its time for diapers. :sosad: But perhaps easier on you both. Its nice that she's still barking, enjoying treats, and has had such a long life!

Frzframe
04-17-2006, 12:26 PM
Poor little girl but at least here is something you can do for her even if she doesn't agree. I would do the same since she seems to be doing good other wise. :bighug: