PDA

View Full Version : Why oh why??

Frzframe
04-16-2006, 09:40 PM
It seems it's raining seniors right now. You all have heard about the older dachshunds being taken to shelters right? :pout: Well my shelter called me Saturday to tell me that a family dropped off Charlie who they've had for 10 years. They weren't even sad about it! "Goodbye Charlie" and that was it. Poor guy was scared so the shelter ladies kept him with them and loved on him and he calmed down some but they want me to foster him so I'll most likely get him on Monday. Why are people like this?? :mad3: :mad1: :hissy: :mad2:

lotsadox
04-16-2006, 11:37 PM
:mad2: I know what you mean! When I picked up Sweetums she was 13 years old and the woman who turned her in to me said "I just don't have time for her". WTF? She's 13 years old, how much time does she take? :mad:

Patt
04-17-2006, 12:53 AM
I wish I had an answer for you. This is why I prefer pets instead of people. We adopted our senior :angel7: Gretta from the shelter with rotten teeth and a huge bladder infection. I guess they didn't want to spend the money.

I'm happy to hear you will be picking up this little sweetie. I know you will make up for the unhappiness he has gone through. Sending loving :bigrayz: :bigrayz: to Charlie and big :hug99::hug99: to you. :thanx:

Pokeys Mom
04-17-2006, 01:17 AM
:hug99: :hug99: Huge hugs out to you. We adopted Brave Sir Pokey when he was 9 1/2 years old. Thank you so much for helping Charlie. I don't know why people do the things they do, but having Pokey in our hearts is the best thing ever. I think all of us are better off. ;) :hearts: :hearts:

catstamm
04-17-2006, 01:37 AM
I know what you mean....people can drive you crazy if you try to figure them out....we got in 4 doxies this weekend( I guess to make up for the 5 we placed) 3 severly obese...a pair of 14 yr olds with heart conditions and 1 with cushings, as well as a 13 yrs old standard who was once a champion!!! oh they gave us all his ribbons...oh boy!!:sosad:

Alex's Mom
04-17-2006, 05:44 AM
Personally, I think there's a special place in hell for the :bleep: people who dump seniors. My only (very) faint comfort is that they are teaching their children that old = useless, so get rid of it. If there's any justice, these will be the same people who end up dumped into an old age facility and never visited by their families. What goes around comes around..... Bless you for taking this old guy in! Some people are puppy people, but I must admit, seniors hold the soft spots in my heart!!!!!

Nancy
04-17-2006, 07:49 AM
I just dont get it. When I adopted Molly (and my previous two pooches) I requested OLDER dog(s)! I think older/senior dogs are more snuggle-able!

In fact, I can't wait for Molly to get older! I wish I could have another pooch, but I think she would have a stroke!! :rotfl:

Laurie' s Dachshunds
04-17-2006, 08:33 AM
Personally, I think there's a special place in hell for the :bleep: people who dump seniors. My only (very) faint comfort is that they are teaching their children that old = useless, so get rid of it. If there's any justice, these will be the same people who end up dumped into an old age facility and never visited by their families. What goes around comes around..... Bless you for taking this old guy in! Some people are puppy people, but I must admit, seniors hold the soft spots in my heart!!!!!

ITA, these people will regret this one day! Sorry a$$e$ :duh: Mama said you can' t fix stupid!!!

areese
04-17-2006, 09:01 AM
That's what I think too...if there is any justice or karma or whatever...they will end up alone with strangers in their old age.
How could ANYONE dump a senior dog???? The last eyars I had with my old dog, Kerby, were the most precious years we had. Bittersweet of course....but I loved taking care of her. Yeah it made me sad a LOT but the only thing that offsets the sadness was the knowledge I was doing the very very best for her and making her happy in her last years...hopefully as happy as she made me for 16 years...
I hope eventually to foster seniors....right now my husbands job is uncertain and we aren't sure if we are gonna have to move but when things settle I'd really like to do that. If I could get DH to agree that is...

Jen
04-17-2006, 09:21 AM
As DH tell me, not all people see their dogs as family, more as possessions. It ain't right, but sadly, some people aren't raised to respect non-human animals as beings with feelings. Very sad....I wish I could foster seniors!

Mama S.
04-17-2006, 03:50 PM
Poor baby, Cinny was the same way when I got her from the shelter - sooo freaked out tummy issues from being sooo scared. A few days with us and she was rulin da roost!
I'd gladly fill up the bus headed to he** for those idiots.
Mama

Bella's Mom
04-19-2006, 01:46 PM
That breaks my heart! Poor baby... I couldn't imagine ever doing that to my girl. She is like my daughter and she will be with us no matter what comes our way. I pray he finds his forever home real soon. :pray:

Jacqueline
04-19-2006, 01:48 PM
That breaks my heart! Poor baby... I couldn't imagine ever doing that to my girl. She is like my daughter and she will be with us no matter what comes our way. I pray he finds his forever home real soon. :pray:

People can be so worthless sometimes. When I found out that Daisy was INDEED only a puppy, and not two years old like the vet suggested, I was happy.....because she would be with me longer. Imagine if the doggies could turn us in because we were too old for them.:rolleyes:

Chris
04-19-2006, 01:57 PM
It reminds of something from my childhood. We had a long haired standard girl and there was a family who lived behind us with a dog. One day an above ground pool went up (small one). And then one day the dog was gone. I asked what had happened and i was told they got rid of the dog. I didn't understand and my mother said that the kids were getting older and were now teenagers and one was driving now and they were more into pool parties and friends than puppies. I was so horrified. (she wasn't supportive of it either) I was probably in 3rd or 4th grade at the time.

Some people just think a dog is like a bike you outgrow.

Oh on the karma thing. Maybe when they are seniors they will be abandoned too and then wake up and realize that its the same feeling they gave to a poor defenseless dog.