PDA

View Full Version : What is going on when

Laurie' s Dachshunds
04-19-2006, 09:55 AM
a pup poops & it looks like it has alot of mucus in the stool? I never seen this with any of my dogs before. I haven' t changed anything in the diet & I started the pups on Heart Guard almost 2 mos ago. Just gave the 2nd one last night. Any advice is much appreciated!!!

quavec
04-19-2006, 10:29 AM
:scratch: I haven't a clue. Cricket's was liek that right after we got him, but after a few food changes, his stools got 'better' (lack of a decent term here).

Lisa
04-19-2006, 10:34 AM
Pogo does this once in a while, we are not sure what triggers it, but it usually only one poop, either his morning or evening and then everything is completely normal again. I would wait and see how his night poop is and if it is still has mucus in it, I would take him into the vet.

Lisa
04-19-2006, 10:43 AM
I found this on the internet:

from here (http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-constip.htm)

For dogs, straining to poop frequently, sometimes producing a stool that may be mucus coated or bloody or even liquid squirting when they strain, is far more commonly caused by a large bowel infection that constipation. The analogy I can give you is that of someone who is lactose intolerant, and eats pizza, is going to need to visit the washroom soon after due to the burning sensation in their large bowel. A similar situation occurs with dogs causing frequent urges and attempts to poop, causing straining. Eventually this can cause a really bad diarrhea in dogs with squirting bloody diarrhea.

So it's possible they may have been a little constipated, I would give some pure 100% canned pumpkin (a couple tsp) and hopefully the fibre will help.

Alex's Mom
04-19-2006, 10:53 AM
alex gets mucousy poops every once in a while. It doesn't seem to be a big deal, and usually clears up in a day or two. My vet told me that it means part of her bowel is a bit irritated, and to keep an eye out in case the poops become bloody. If not, just keep an eye on it. I never can tell exactly what causes it usually, although I put it down to stress (she's a pretty tense little girl at the best of times...) :bigrayz: :bigrayz: that it clears up. If it doesn't maybe a call to your vet?

Lisa
04-19-2006, 03:00 PM
My boyz went to the vet today, so I asked him, and he said exactly what was already said, sometimes they get constipated and when it does come out it can be covered in mucus. It is happening in the lower intestine and can be followed by a bright blood. The dark blood means it's happening higher up the digestive tract. Keep an eye on it, and if it's not better in a couple of days or she shows any other symptoms of not being herself, then bring her in....but what you are currently describing is not that uncommon.

Laurie' s Dachshunds
04-19-2006, 10:17 PM
Thanks so much for the info. I will keep an out on her in ther am.

Jen
04-20-2006, 10:19 AM
Tasha had one of those yesterday afternoon and I think it was irritation from eating the pillow....as it was a loose stool but with muscus.

Ain't this a lovely topic!

Patt
04-20-2006, 06:44 PM
a pup poops & it looks like it has alot of mucus in the stool? I never seen this with any of my dogs before. I haven' t changed anything in the diet & I started the pups on Heart Guard almost 2 mos ago. Just gave the 2nd one last night. Any advice is much appreciated!!! How is everyone doing today? It is fairly common but if you are still worried I'd call your vet.

Laurie' s Dachshunds
04-20-2006, 09:18 PM
Sassy had a normal poop this am, but now is puking! She chewed up some things yesterday while home with Big Daddy & ate something that is making her have tummy issues. She ate some grass & pine needles & some kind of stick & also something plastic & paper! Guess I' m in for a fun night alone with the puppers!!!

Patt
04-20-2006, 10:03 PM
Sorry to hear that, here's some tummy :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Sassy and the rest of the crew.

Laurie' s Dachshunds
04-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Thanks everybody for all the help. We greatly appreciate it!!!!
I don' t know what I' d do sometimes without you guys & DLC !!!!!

:appl: You are all so wonderful! :hearts: :hearts: The DLC members!
And the pupper pics are the best part of my day sometimes!