PDA

View Full Version : So, he ate a cotton ball....

quavec
04-19-2006, 10:06 AM
yep, one of those white ones. I couldn't believe it. Here I was sitting on the floor removing my toenail polish and the bag was right next to me. This is nothing new to him. He usually just plops down next to me (tries to get in my lap but isn't successful) and hangs around until I'm done. This time was no different except instead of just sniffing the bag, he plucks a cotton ball out of it! I casually reached for it (thinking to myself 'he isn't gonna EAT the thing - it's COTTON) and he sucks the it in his mouth and swallows! WTF?!

So, I holler at DH, he comes running up (thought I meant one of the KIDS - human kind- ate the cotton ball ~ really now, I KNOW they wouldn't eat one) and tells me "well, you shouldn't have them where he can get them". :duh:

I called the vet's after hours number. He told me to wait it out since it was one ball and the all cotton kind. If he started to vomit or looked to be in distress, bring him to the nearest ER vet or call him. Well, he didn't poop it out this morning (yep, I followed the little turd - no pun intended - around) and he ate his food like normal. He is a very regular dog, so I know his poo schedule. I'll follow him this afternoon (hoping his belly doesn't rebel and decides to eliminate it while we are at work) and see if it comes out. If not, I will bring him in in the morning so the doc can see what's going on.

I wasn't too worried after talking to the vet. He asked me "does he eat his stuffed toys?" And, of course, we all the know the answer to that - cuz he's a doxie.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Lisa
04-19-2006, 10:13 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. Because it's only one, he should just pass it normally. Yet another reason WHY they are so cute.

The stuffed toys is a good example, he will be fine. Rayz the little Cricket passes it normally! :rayz: :rayz: :rayz:

Michelle
04-19-2006, 10:18 AM
:shocked: :shocked: OOOppsss,, I think he should be fine, but still keep an eye on his poops!!
Let us know when it comes out :rotfl: :rotfl:

One time my other cat Bubbles ate one of Rachel's little terry clothe ponies that she puts in her hair, Bubbles had a pony fetish and we had to literally hide them from Bubbles. When Bubbles pooped out the pony, it was red, and I saw it in the litter box and thought that she was pooping her insides out!!! :shocked: , I was scared to death, cause I had no idea that she ate the pony till I saw it in the poop. I almost had a heart attack thinking she was pooping out her intestines...

I am sure he will be fine, just will have a nice fluffy poop :rotfl:

areese
04-19-2006, 11:28 AM
I bet it will all be fine....if he ate like 10 of them or something I'd be really worried. But since he's pooping and eating nothing is blocked up in there.
Here's :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for the Passing of the Cotton Ball. :)

jenfer
04-19-2006, 11:32 AM
I hope all you will get is one cotton-y white poop from him. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: just in case.

Courtney
04-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Yeah I bet he will be fine. Trust me, I've found whole pooped-out tampons out in the yard before. (DON'T ask.) Just thinking of eating a cotton ball makes my TEETH HURT! I know that sounds odd, but that is one taste/feeling I cannot STAND - cotton in my mouth, like when you go to the dentist. I had a root canal one time and ever since then...I'd rather eat nails I think. :shocked: :shocked:

oceangirls
04-19-2006, 12:29 PM
Tristan ate a tampon once too :D

I wouldn't worry too much either, just keep an eye out. The girls have destuffed toys and pillows and eaten large amounts of fluff without problems when they were little. Cassie still eats magazine subscription cards :rolleyes:

lotsadox
04-19-2006, 12:55 PM
He probably won't have any trouble. Sweetums is a trash can surfer and I regularly find shredded cotton balls on the floor. Who know how much she eats? And Scooter destuffs toys and eats a lot of the stuffing if I don't get it off the floor soon enough. :shocked:

quavec
04-19-2006, 01:39 PM
Cassie still eats magazine subscription cards :rolleyes:

Just the cards? :scratch: Notthe magazine? :scratch:

Jacqueline
04-19-2006, 02:05 PM
Trust me, I've found whole pooped-out tampons out in the yard before. (DON'T ask.)

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Sorry, but I can imagine that....and never want to see it up close and personal. There's a reason I have nicknamed these two Hoover and Eureka.

I think a cotton ball is not going to be much of a problem. My kids eat weeds, roots, rip socks and towels apart....they all come out....in the end. Just watch for it....literally :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Good thing they are all so darn cute!

Bella's Mom
04-19-2006, 02:50 PM
He'll be okay...Bella ate a q-tip the other day and it came out. She was scooting around the yard cause it was "stringy." :rotfl:

oceangirls
04-19-2006, 04:37 PM
Just the cards? :scratch: Notthe magazine? :scratch:

Yes. My dog is slightly weird.

Patt
04-19-2006, 05:12 PM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Cricket, hope the C/B has passed by now. :)

Mama S.
04-19-2006, 05:14 PM
My idiots would sell each others souls for a q-tip. I have to be very careful - PJ - that dummy just gives them to them. They eat the cotton crunch the stick and you'd think I gave them a raw t-bone. I fuss he laughs.
Mama

K2
04-19-2006, 08:21 PM
:rotfl: What a smart boy Cricket is!!! He just got rid of the middle man(the stuffed toy)and went right for the insides!!! :rotfl: I hope everything comes out okay!

Laurie' s Dachshunds
04-19-2006, 10:47 PM
My crew has a paper fetish, they' ll eat the cardboard core of tp rolls. I' ve seen Reesee eat a Qtip & the plastic tip off my shoe laces. They can do weird stuff sometimes.

Jen
04-20-2006, 09:56 AM
Tasha ate part of the dust mite proof pillow cover she shredded the other day, probably by accident, and has paid with runny poops to evenings in a row--and I saw the evidence. Why just at night and not in the am I don't know...:scratch:

Hope the cotton ball passes with no problem!!