PDA

View Full Version : Poor Laikaweener's ears

areese
04-19-2006, 06:08 PM
Laika and Owen went in this afternoon for their heartworm tests and a check-up. Dr. Bobbie said Laika's ears were really bad (and I looked through the ear thingy and they were yucky inside!) I clean them every other day with alcohol...but they were smelling yeasty. She wasn't scratching at them or shaking her head or anything. I think it's allergies. Now she has ear drops and ear wash and an antihistimine :(
And new dog food with absolutely no corn in it. Why does all the nutro have lamb in it????? She's allergic to lamb...
I got her chicken soup for the pet lover soul cuz I knew it was on that list posted here in the food section.
Owen is really hard to examine. Laika's so good (she loves Dr. Bobbie) but Owen was afraid and thrashed around like a flopping fish.
Good news is they are neg. for heartworms and she gave me all the preventative for free cuz I've referred so many people to her (she just moved-opened her own practice)
AND she will still come out and trim Scouty's feet-he's got an appointment next week. O joy.

oceangirls
04-19-2006, 06:17 PM
that sounds good, except for the ears :( Hopefully the meds and food change will clear things up. You might consider a different cleaner than alcohol in the future... it can be pretty drying and may aggravate the irritation. I hope she is a good girl about the drops. I remember chasing Tristan around the room to give ear drops - I was not very successful (how can a 12lb dog be so strong?). Luckily, his oral antibiotic did the job :rolleyes:

areese
04-19-2006, 06:46 PM
I have a great big bottle of ear cleaner now! I bet I got water in her ears too...she's had a lot of baths lately cuz of digging in muskrat holes and running through mud.... not to mention rolling in racoon poop... INside they were very wet and yucky.

Mama S.
04-19-2006, 06:50 PM
I've noticed we have many ore ear problems with Stinker & Pete (long hair on ears) versus the smooth crew. :bigrayz: for her uckie ears!!! My guys HATE the ear wash..
Mama

Nancy
04-19-2006, 07:03 PM
Piss bag is really good about me cleaning her ears. she just closes her eyes and let's me clean. nail clipping on the other hand is a wrestling match! :rotfl:

LUVMYGUNNER
04-19-2006, 08:12 PM
Amy have the vet show you how to clean the ears Gunner and Petunia get theirs done once a week. I bought stuff at the vets and they showed me and its not that hard to do.

oceangirls
04-19-2006, 09:46 PM
Piss bag is really good about me cleaning her ears. she just closes her eyes and let's me clean.

I think sometimes they like it, especially if it itches and you can reach it better than they can :)

Piss bag? Oh, that poor misunderstood pupper :)

Lisa
04-19-2006, 10:36 PM
Lots of rayz for Laika's ears. I hope it's not too serious, and the new ear drops clean up the problem! :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Laurie' s Dachshunds
04-19-2006, 10:41 PM
Oh yeah, the vet has the best ear stuff. My pups groom each others ears & do a really good job, I' m gonna miss it if they stop doing it!
Reesee & Shadow are OK with gettting theirs done. I do it after bath time. They are always relaxed after a bath!

Jen
04-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Tasha has had lots of ear troubles so we clean them once a week with ear cleaner, and keep a good eye on them. We've had drops which we HARD to give her, and one that was more of a cream with a long applicator spout--that was better. And yes, cotton balls in the ears at bath time are a good idea--our vet told us Tasha is a 2 cotton ball girl....Oh yeah, and don't let them eat the cotton balls. :rotfl:

Ear :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: ! Good news that the rest of the exam went so well!

Chris
04-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Why does all the nutro have lamb in it?????

I don't think Ultra does but i will look.

Maybe the alchohol was drying them out too much. Ollie has chronic yeasty ears too. He has been that way since we rescued him. Laika just might be more susceptible to them like he is. We went for a round of meds that cleared it up and then cleaning as a follow up after the meds were done. But no matter how meticulous we are, he sometimes has an episode. Alex never has that prob

quavec
04-20-2006, 10:25 AM
:bigrayz: for the pretty girl. Hope her ears clear up soon!

Tex
04-20-2006, 10:33 AM
Healing:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: to Laika. I don't have too much trouble with Julie or Jax's ears, but their both short-hairs. I found that the only way Julie will let me clean her ears is after a bath when I have her all wrapped up in a towel. Then she can't escape:happy2: . Good Luck!

areese
04-20-2006, 10:45 AM
I cleaned them today and HOPEFULLY got the drops in. She's very mad at me now though. I get the evil eye when I go near her or she'll come into the room where I am, see me, give me THE LOOK and leave the room.
Glad it's not Owen though. He is SO diffcult to do anything to. He panicked at the vet, while Laika gave Dr. Bobbie kisses after her blood draw..

LUVMYGUNNER
04-20-2006, 10:55 AM
Amy I usualy have hubby hold them, then I gently move the head to the side and squeeze some of the ear cleaner in, then I gently rub the bottom of the ear for a few seconds, then use a cotton ball the get excess out.

Bella's Mom
04-20-2006, 01:04 PM
Overall it sounds like a good visit! Sending some :bigrayz: :bigrayz: Laika's way for her ears to clear up quick!

areese
04-20-2006, 02:31 PM
Amy I usualy have hubby hold them, then I gently move the head to the side and squeeze some of the ear cleaner in, then I gently rub the bottom of the ear for a few seconds, then use a cotton ball the get excess out.

That's what I did this morning. She was ok for me...she just layed on her back and let me. And I rubbed it like you said-I could hear it squishing around then I dried it out with a cotton ball. But the drops she's supposed to get...there's a long tube on the bottle and I'm not sure how far to stick it in. It's kinda thick liquid...
Now her ears are all greasy looking and she's mad. Actually, I think she's over it now. I'm gonna get the Big Ball out..that will cheer her up!

lotsadox
04-20-2006, 03:01 PM
Ear problems can be so hard to deal with. I don't have much trouble with mine, but they do clean each others ears. I remember having trouble with Pebbles ears when the stuff she was allergic to was in the air. It was awful! :sosad: Good luck. Sending clean ear rayz :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Michelle
04-20-2006, 03:13 PM
Awwwhh, Poor Laika Lots of ear healing rays for her :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

so far I have been lucky and have not had any ear problems with Heidi and Princess, is this common with the longhaired doxies??

Their ears always looks clean when I check them and I don't really notice any smell or odor..

If they did have ear problems, what kind of symptoms would I be seeing from them?? aside from a really bad smell to them, what else should I be looking for????

areese
04-20-2006, 03:41 PM
Laika had no symptoms you would expect from yucky ears...no head shaking or scratching at them. But they aren't infected I guess... just wet and out of wack and dirty. They smelled yeasty if you put your nose right in there but otherwise it was nothing you would notice. They were maybe a little bit pinker than usual...but not really red or anything. And not dirty that I could see cuz I had just cleaned them..there wasn't a lot of gook in there or anything. And she felt great all weekend -she must have to run so well at the agility trial..

Patt
04-21-2006, 12:05 PM
She was ok for me...she just layed on her back and let me. And I rubbed it like you said-I could hear it squishing around then I dried it out with a cotton ball. That's perfect, you want to hear the squishing sound. Ditto on no more alcohol as a daily cleaner. Sending many healing :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for clean ears soon.

LUVMYGUNNER
04-23-2006, 02:09 AM
I use Vet Solution the nozzle is about an inch long I just but it in the ear about a 1/4 of an inch then squeeze.

Alex's Mom
04-23-2006, 06:02 AM
Alex :hearts: having her ears cleaned!!! she comes running when I shake the Q-tip box ... If I have to do a deep clean (not very often...she actually has really clean ears) then I use either Otic cleaner (from vet) or a vinegar and water solution (very wise old vet suggested this years ago for Maxe, who's ears needed cleaning more often and who HATED it!!!!!). Have Laika's ears cleared up?

oceangirls
04-23-2006, 09:34 AM
If they did have ear problems, what kind of symptoms would I be seeing from them?? aside from a really bad smell to them, what else should I be looking for????

some symptoms: like Amy mentioned, head shaking and scratching at them; and when you look at them they might be red or irritated looking or have brownish stuff in them and/or an odd smell.

I am not sure if it is more common with LHs or not :scratch:
Angel has some mild chronic problems; the vet said there was no overt infection but just to watch them. Cassie has the cleanest healthiest-looking ears ever; her sister (who loves to groom people and dogs) cleans them for her :D.

areese
04-23-2006, 10:02 AM
Alex :hearts: having her ears cleaned!!! she comes running when I shake the Q-tip box ... If I have to do a deep clean (not very often...she actually has really clean ears) then I use either Otic cleaner (from vet) or a vinegar and water solution (very wise old vet suggested this years ago for Maxe, who's ears needed cleaning more often and who HATED it!!!!!). Have Laika's ears cleared up?

They seem ok to me now...they smell like medicine LOL. And I really didn't notice any other symptoms and they weren't really red or anything so I guess they are ok. I had tried vinegar and water before..it seemed to irritate her ears and she ran around rubbing her head on the carpet but maybe she had a little scratch in there or something. I have the oticalm cleaner right now from the vet. Just did them (much drama!! but now she runs for the fridge right after cuz she knows she gets a treat) She gets rechecked May 3. Hopefully everything is ok. Her ear hair is all slimy looking now from all the stuff running out :(