PDA

View Full Version : Anticipating trouble...

Tex
04-19-2006, 09:09 PM
OK. Let me paint you a picture. BF & I buy 13 pieces of new furniture-couch, love seat, coffee table, lamps, rug, etc.) We're moving into a new apartment on the 19th of May. Jax (our wonderful UN-NEUTERED little boy) is a marker.....do you see where I'm going with this. We plan to have him neutered as soon as possible (hard to have extra money after new apartment and furniture), BUT he's almost 5 years old so I know he's still going to want to mark stuff after he's de-manned (that's what the BF calls it:huh: ). Anyway, I'm going to invest in some belly bands, buy some No-Go spray and maybe plastic wrap the couch and loveseat for the first few months. If ANYONE has any other ideas, PLEASE send help. Thanks:sad125:

Anatresia
04-19-2006, 09:13 PM
Wow! Good luck! Mr. Butters was neutered at 6 months, so he never really marked (doesn't pee with a leg up, either- my little girly man!):rotfl: As a result, I have no advice.

I have heard good things about belly bands. Oh, and you might want to look into the Spay/Neuter assistance programs. Call your local ASPCA or shelter. I was going to have Rigby spayed for only $80 or something, but chickened out and had her go to the regular vet for $250:shocked:. Males are easier to fix, though, and I'm sure those programs are safe.

Lisa
04-19-2006, 10:39 PM
I agree about looking for the assistance with the neuter. Belly bands are excellent and really should help. Otherwise, I don't have much to offer either other than some sympathy for your furniture, and hope he doesn't mark long after the big snip.

Helen
04-19-2006, 11:01 PM
Yikes. I think you have great ideas. Charlie was one when he was neutered, but he was marking everything before it was done. He came home, marked one more time, and never lifted his leg inside again. I know that's a lot younger than Jax, but sending :bigrayz: :bigrayz: it will take care of the problem like it did for us!

Frzframe
04-19-2006, 11:53 PM
I've had two foster boys who were 2 before they were neutered and let me tell you they marked everything. It about drove me insane until I discoved belly bands. Then after they were neutered after around a week they really didn't mark any more in the house but would outside. Hope your boy does the same. :)

lotsadox
04-20-2006, 08:44 AM
You have a good plan. I"m thinking about making some belly bands myself, since I have one boy who pees in the house when he's stressed. It would help save my furniture and floors. Since when he starts the others follow! :shocked:

Do look into some of the low cost clinics. I don't believe that SNAP (Spay Neuter Assistance Program) operates in Austin. They're in Houston and San Antonio. If your local SPCA or Humane Society can't help, you could try SPAY USA. They're at www.spayusa.org

Jen
04-20-2006, 09:19 AM
No advice since my only doxie is a female and only marks outside. I think getting him fixed ASAP is a good idea.

doxiechick
04-20-2006, 11:37 AM
Save some money on the belly bands and just use a #5 baby disposable diaper and duct tape. Wrap the diaper around his middle covering his little "weiner" (not like a regular place diaper) and then duct tape it on the back of your pupper. It will be cheaper than buying belly bands and no laundry. LOL

Chris
04-20-2006, 12:06 PM
I will really have to agree...the most surefire way to stop him from marking is get him neutered. His testicular cancer risk will be almost nil as an added bonus. And you won't have to ever worry about him getting away from you if he smells a female. (and trust me, even if you are good about controlling him, if he gets a whiff of that, the adrenaline rush will be so high, its like the stories of people lifting cars of their child when they otherwise would never be able to lift it. He will dig through, climb over, pull, or even bite you and not "mean it" to break free.)

We got Alex before he was neutered. He was with us for about 3 weeks to a month before he was neutered, and what a difference - and not just marking.

As far as salvaging the furniture, try nature's miracle on the upholstery (but test areas first). If it gets to that point, call servicepro/servicemaster and tell them specifically its dog stains and they have a neutralizer.

Chris
04-20-2006, 12:10 PM
BUT he's almost 5 years old so I know he's still going to want to mark stuff after he's de-manned (that's what the BF

Not necessarily. Alex marks outside when he smells another dog has been in the yard, but thats about it. When we moved into our new house, he went once in the house because he was a bit confused (it was an ordeal with flying on the plane, sleeping at someone else's house, and then finally getting into our new house). But i attribute that to stress more than "marking".

Oh, the other thing i wanted to say is that when you get into the new place, he will probably mark it all again as the new place won't smell like him yet. (the floors and maybe even the furniture again.) so just be prepared.

As far as "unmanning"....my husband knew it was best for Alex, but still thought badly about putting him into surgery but when he came out, and was no longer agitated, marking, and challenging other male dogs, and he could relax and enjoy his pampered life..if he had to make the choice again he would have done it immediately.

Bella's Mom
04-20-2006, 01:07 PM
Ooooh, no advice here but wishing you tons of luck! Bella was spayed when she was 5 months and the male dogs I had as a young girl were neutered pretty early too. Hope it works out with the "marking."

Mama S.
04-20-2006, 04:33 PM
I have 4 boys - Pete was neutered at 6 months and still 11 yrs later hikes his leg. Oscar was done at 3 years and never hikes inside! Hershey is my perfect :angel7: :rotfl: He would never do anything wrong!!! Sam doesn't lift his leg - he squats and potties to cover up what he doesn't like. I've thought long and hard about belly bands also. I've just gotten to where I grab my spray bottle and clean up .
SAndi

Dijon04
04-20-2006, 05:56 PM
could someone post more info about belly bands please? i've never heard of them....

Patt
04-20-2006, 06:31 PM
Sounds like your on the right track, with plastic on the furniture and belly bands. I know when we adopted our intact :angel7: Dodger at ten years, we had him neutered within a week and he never marked or raised his leg agagin.

Look for her "D Boomerang" belly bands- made especially for dachsie shapes.
http://www.decotogs.com/

http://www.dog-breeds.net/dog_diaper_belly_band.htm

LUVMYGUNNER
04-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Check with your humane society they do it realy cheap and they have excellent doctors.

Frzframe
04-20-2006, 07:19 PM
I just though of something else you might try with him. Keep him gated in the same room with you. He should be wearing a belly band and that way if he does hike his leg you can correct him. :)

Dijon04
04-20-2006, 07:32 PM
thanks for the info patt :)