PDA

View Full Version : Boomer needs to gain some weight

Frzframe
04-20-2006, 12:08 PM
I've been trying to put a couple of pounds on him but it's not sticking. I'm feeding him around 1 1/4 cups of food a day plus numerous treats. One day he'll look better then later I can see his ribs and his backbone. Any ideas what I can do to put a little meat on him?

Jen
04-20-2006, 12:09 PM
Cheese? Some raw meat? Wow, a rare problem for a doxie to have! Is there a canned food designed for dogs who need more calories?

Lisa
04-20-2006, 12:10 PM
I would suggest you send him here for a while, I have NO problem getting weight on dogs.

I think Beckie Decker has a receipe for putting weight on the dogs...Satan's balls? :scratch: I can't remember what they are called, but I'll see if I can find the link.

Lisa
04-20-2006, 12:12 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Okay NOT Satan Balls, but Satinballs!!

Here is the link - Satinballs (http://www.doxielovers.com/dlc/showthread.php?t=2256&highlight=balls)

Chris
04-20-2006, 12:15 PM
Why do you think it is that he is not gaining?

Does he have a nervous little stomach or a really high metabolism?

And I am sure you already covered it 2 times over...but is there a thyroid problem?

squirrel818
04-20-2006, 12:38 PM
I think I will make that recipe for Annie. How many a day should I give a large hound?

Frzframe
04-20-2006, 12:43 PM
At first I thought he was thin because of his being moved around a lot and then there was the fact he wasn't neutered. His first foster mom had trouble getting him to eat but I never had that problem. I'm taking Mitzi in to the vet next week so I'm goind to ask about Boom-Boom to see what they think.

Thanks for the link Lisa.

Bella's Mom
04-20-2006, 01:05 PM
I would suggest you send him here for a while, I have NO problem getting weight on dogs.

Too Funny! :rotfl:

Jen
04-20-2006, 01:07 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Okay NOT Satan Balls, but Satinballs!!

Here is the link - Satinballs (http://www.doxielovers.com/dlc/showthread.php?t=2256&highlight=balls)

I liked Satan Balls better!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Courtney
04-20-2006, 01:15 PM
Being the food snob that I am (only about dog food of course) I would not recommend the Satin Balls. They are full of SUGAR.

That said, has he had a fecal to rule out worms? Every time I have had a skinny foster that has been the case - and one had even had a fecal before and been treated for worms, but had some again. It fixed the problem.

second, may want to try putting him on a puppy food and/or feeding him 3 times a day if possible. There's no reason not to up the food - he may just not be an "easy keeper."

Patt
04-20-2006, 09:57 PM
I second the suggestions of possible worms maybe even tapeworms and a thyroid problem. Also you could try 'A/D' purchase from the vet, it's great for weight gain. ;) Please keep us updated.

Frzframe
04-20-2006, 11:41 PM
I was supposed to take Mitzi in yesterday but changed it because I decided to sleep in and go into work around noon. I've been working 15 hour days so yesterday I got in a mere 11 1/2. :faint: Oh any way back on subject so I'll take Boomer in when I go on Thursday.

catstamm
04-20-2006, 11:51 PM
I second Courtney's thoughts exactly....and that is a LOT of food. Ribs and backbone would scare me ...something is definetly going one ....keep us posted.... Satan's Balls Hu!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

lotsadox
04-21-2006, 09:42 AM
Let us know what you find out at the checkup. That's as much food as I feed Scooter and he's 45 lbs and pretty active! :shocked: I don't know if I'd feel the Satinballs. Total cereal and oatmeal? An awful lot of grains. I would especially watch the total cereal. That's a lot of processed food for a dog's system. :scratch:

oceangirls
04-21-2006, 10:27 AM
I certainly wouldn't feed the Satin Balls as a regular diet, but if it is a matter of getting weight on a malnourished dog before he starts to have complications... and he likes them... then it certainly wouldn't hurt short-term. I think the Total cereal is in there because it is vitamin/mineral-fortified... if worried about that, you could leave it out and give a pet vitamin supplement.

Agree with first ruling out thyroid, worms; also diabetes, cancer, infection, etc.

When you say 1-1/4 cups of food a day, what type of food are you feeding? Is he a really active dog?

Anatresia
04-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Send him here! I can't seem to keep my dogs from getting fat!:rotfl:

Mr. Butters says lunchmeat works pretty well.

Frzframe
04-21-2006, 11:55 AM
He's getting Natural Balance and he is getting active.