PDA

View Full Version : Cami Update/2nd Opinion

catstamm
04-20-2006, 09:38 PM
I not only want to give everyone Cami's update but, want to stress the importance of a 2nd opinion!!!!
I took Cami in to get her stitches out today...well they think maybe she did have some inflammation in her spinal cord...because she is much more coorinated since the spay and the meds that had her on was a non-steriod anti inflamitory. They don't want to but her on long term steriods so they want me to give her 1/2 a baby aspirin a day and watch her activity. They did her nails for me and said I should have named her "drama queen" the only 6lb dog that had to be muzzled and restrained to do her nails! Spoiled little girl....haha
Today I learned how important a second opinion is.... We have this little girl Layla that is 6 mths old and her family took her to be euthanized because the vet diagnosed her ...some strange leg problem (can't remember the medical term but her fibula is turned outward) as will as congenital spinal defects....well, I took her medical records and xray to cami's nuerologist today....she doesn't have congenital spinal defect. She has a couple of disks that are fused (not unusual) and a narrowing between two others that may or may not cause her problems in the future (not unlike any doxie LOL)...if she does develop a problem it is nothing that steroid therapy and crate rest wouldn't cure! WOOHOO... she said if we really want to be sure about her legs we can take her to an ortho for a check but, she thinks she'll be fine....and her head was on the chopping block until we came along.
Actually the first time I we took cami in for xrays the vet said "You have a heartbreaker here, if you want you can take her to a neurologist and see what they say but, I think she's a heartbreaker!" Good thing we didn't take his word for it!
Sorry no animation I have a meeting to get to ...

lotsadox
04-20-2006, 09:49 PM
Thanks for posting that. Sometimes we forget how important and second opinion can be. You've proved it. In Layla's case it was life and death. I'm so glad that you saved her. :banana: You're an :angel7:

K2
04-20-2006, 09:53 PM
Second opinions can make a huge difference! Thanks for all you do for those little babies!! :bighug:

oceangirls
04-20-2006, 10:09 PM
awwww, Cami IS a little heartbreaker, but not the way that vet meant - she is a heartbreaker because she is so freaking cute and we all are not lucky enough to have her:hearts: !! :D

That is great news for Layla - I agree a second opinion is always recommended, for humans as well as dogs.

Lisa
04-20-2006, 10:18 PM
That is great for Layla!! And yes Cami is a total little heartbreaker (the way Kim means!)....the Drama Queen story made me :lol:

Laurie' s Dachshunds
04-20-2006, 10:55 PM
Oh yes! I highly recommend 2nd opinions!

Patt
04-21-2006, 02:21 AM
Second opinions are always a good thing! Glad you got some good news. :appl: Hooray for Cami finally getting her sutures removed, I'm sure she is going to be feeling much better. :hearts:

Jen
04-21-2006, 10:00 AM
For our doxies and for ourselves, a second opinion is crucial! And perhaps even a third!

Glad Cami is doing so well, despite the nail trimming trauma!

Bella's Mom
04-21-2006, 02:47 PM
Great news on Cami. She is a heartbreaker yes, but in the way once you look at her you could never let her go! She is a sweetheart and I'm so glad she found you.