PDA

View Full Version : Oscar was a bad boy today!

Kerie
04-24-2006, 01:36 AM
For those who don't know, we've been working with a private trainer because Oscar is a resource guarder and he needs some overall improvement in his manners.

Oscar protectively guards anything he thinks is his. This means that if you go to take away his toy, his space on the bed, his food or something he may have taken from us, he turns from the lovable fun boy into something nasty.

We had friends over tonight.

When 2 of my friends arrived Oscar ran to the door to greet them. He then saw my neighbor across the street and darted out the front door to go say Hi to my neighbor. He ran across the street and if there had been a car coming--uh oh!! Lucky for me, I called his name and he came running back 90 mph right into the house. However, he once again crossed the street. Good that he came back, but bad that it happened in the first place. No cars coming, no injuries. But it is not hard to see that this could have been a disaster. We will talk to the trainer more about this and take more precautions, like putting him on a leash when answering the door.

We put Oscar in the bedroom while we ate. He stayed there quietly but when I went up to check him, Oscar was playing with one of my slippers. He saw me and ran under the bed with the slipper. I thought he might snap at me if I tried to get the slipper from him (that's what resource guarders do). But he left the slipper under the bed and let me go get it. Not bad and it almost seems like we are getting somewhere.

Then when our friends got up to leave, my husband was holding Oscar sitting on the couch. My husband's buddy went to shake hands and Oscar snapped at the friend and showed his teeth. He may have seen it as protecting my husband and he calmed down right away, but this is not a good situation to be in.

Well, I feel better as I write this, but only because each of the above situations could have been so much worse. We see the trainer on Wed. The running out the door thing is very new but it is something I have always feared! I guess we will discuss it on Wed.

lotsadox
04-24-2006, 08:46 AM
Do talk to your trainer about the running out the door. When I took mine to O school they had us teach the "Wait" command. It was fairly easy to teach and very effective. Now I just tell everyone to wait and I walk out the door. It makes things much easier for me. With 6 it would be almost impossible to get out the door without one of them getting out if it wasn't for the the wait command.

Jen
04-24-2006, 09:09 AM
Tasha knows wait too, and usually complies. I'm so glad it all ended well at least.

Tasha will snap at stranger who tries to pet her if she's not in the mood to meet them. We met a lady with a 2 year old wire last night, gorgeous dog, and the woman tried to pet Tasha mid-back, but she was grumpy due to the wet sidewalks and snapped (though I wonder if it was also due to the woman having a dog with her). Doesn't bite, just a warning, so though its rude, its better than biting.

Wait or leashing Oscar before you open the door sounds like a good idea!

areese
04-24-2006, 09:39 AM
Teaching "wait" at the door is a really good thing. I'm glad nothing bad happened!!! I've noticed Owen growls at people only when he's on my lap. It must be a protective thing...It doesn't happen a lot but I'll be interested in what your trainer has to say about that behavior and what to do about it.

K2
04-24-2006, 10:34 AM
I'm glad nothing bad happened. Wait is a great command. I've used it on hikes with Pippit when I drop the leash due to heavy brush/tough climbing situation and he just sits there waiting for me.

Mama S.
04-24-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm giong to have to teach ther herd WAIT. They have decided that the front door opens and they need to exit. WHen yo have 8 of them trying to pile out the door it is a collision course . Luckily we've had no problems but will start the WAIT thing tonight. Hints???
Mama

Lisa
04-24-2006, 12:21 PM
I know you must be tired of reading stuff, but Cesar Millan's new book (I am only 1/2 way through) does deal in depth on this subject and might be something that interest you as well...just as a complement to your training which I think is outstanding, Oscar is making tremendous progress...and the fact that he came back right away when you called him & let you get the slipper, don't minimize those, the are huge positive steps (even though I know you were freaking out when he darted out, you can overcome that two!!).

Keep up the great work Kerie! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Kerie
04-24-2006, 07:46 PM
None of you had problems teaching WAIT? My dachsie is defective!! But so cute!

I must say that he did look cute running back toward the house at full speed. His ears were flying. I think he thought that I would shut the door and leave him if he didn't come back ASAP. Either that or he smelled the donuts that my friends brought.

Helen
04-24-2006, 07:57 PM
None of you had problems teaching WAIT? My dachsie is defective!!

No, their dachsies are the defective ones!

Charlie always runs out when we open the door, and unfortunately we've never discouraged the behavior. We live on the second floor and have our own staircase, so it's not a problem because he's afraid to go down the stairs. He just runs around the little landing, searching for yummy bugs to bring back inside. I know we're going to have our work cut out for us when we move.

I'm so glad Oscar was okay! Your heart must have dropped when he ran out and then back. Good luck working on these issues; you've done a wonderful job already. Keep us updated!

areese
04-24-2006, 08:32 PM
I'm giong to have to teach ther herd WAIT. They have decided that the front door opens and they need to exit. WHen yo have 8 of them trying to pile out the door it is a collision course . Luckily we've had no problems but will start the WAIT thing tonight. Hints???
Mama

My dogs are really INTO the clicker so I used that to train "wait". Just remember to reward the "wait" not the release. So while they are waiting, walk to them and reward them before releasing. So the waiting is the cool thing...the release can be exciting anyway but make sure to reward the waiting while they are still doing it.
wow...just the thought of training 8 at once makes my mind boggled... I have to lock one in the bathroom all the time if I'm working hard on something.

Patt
04-25-2006, 01:21 AM
Let us know what your trainer advises for Oscar.

I know you must be tired of reading stuff, but Cesar Millan's new book (I am only 1/2 way through) does deal in depth on this subject! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:Isn't Cesar the best? I never miss his sessions on Friday. I will be seeing him in Aug. :cheer2: :cheer2:

Bella's Mom
04-25-2006, 02:15 PM
None of you had problems teaching WAIT? My dachsie is defective!! But so cute!

I must say that he did look cute running back toward the house at full speed. His ears were flying. I think he thought that I would shut the door and leave him if he didn't come back ASAP. Either that or he smelled the donuts that my friends brought.
Bella seems to have "selective" hearing at times and doesn't want to listen so we're working on that too. It is hard to be stern when they are so darn cute!

Kerie
04-25-2006, 05:55 PM
Bella seems to have "selective" hearing at times and doesn't want to listen so we're working on that too. It is hard to be stern when they are so darn cute!

I have never known a dachsie that did not have selective hearing. I do LOVE LOVE LOVE my Oscar but today I have new complaints. For the past few days, on walkies, he has been terrorizing the neighborhood. Now that Spring is here, there are other dogs, joggers, landscapers and the usual UPS man and postman to bark like crazy at. I try to ignore it and not acknowledge it except that I keep Oscar away from people who might get annoyed.

Patt
04-25-2006, 06:06 PM
Please make a note of your complaints and ask the trainer tomorrow. :)

Kerie
04-25-2006, 06:11 PM
Please make a note of your complaints and ask the trainer tomorrow. :)

Absolutely!!!

Did I ever tell you that our trainer stated the problem as, "this is Oscar's house and he's just letting you live here?" Gotta show my little guy who's in charge. We've been trying.

Tex
04-27-2006, 09:13 AM
We have that issue with our bed. I think the pupper know it's our house, but they seem to think they own the queen size bed and just let us sleep there on occasion. Good luck with Oscar!!! He is a :cutiepie2

Kerie
04-27-2006, 02:53 PM
All went well with the trainer. I am a bit overwhelmed with info from him, though. We discussed how Oscar thinks he's a party animal and that life is a ball. Gotta love that attitude from a pup!!! However, because of that, Oscar thinks he can do whatever he wants. So, we are to continue to establish leadership.

Lisa
04-27-2006, 03:16 PM
Wonderful Kerie! I think will really start to see dramatic improvement once you and your hubby are the alpha. Keep up the fantastic work! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: