PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE! What on earth is wrong with my dog???

Chris
04-25-2006, 12:21 PM
What happened to Ollie????

He is all sacked out on the bed.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/cmastrangelo/olliesackedout2.jpg

Hmmm...this is what's wrong...

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/cmastrangelo/mastiff.jpg

He has exhausted from barking at the dog in our florida room!
The "crazy dog people" bat signal was blinking last night and a guy working construction down the street brought her to us.

Courtney
04-25-2006, 12:28 PM
oh, what a gorgeous dog!!! Hopefully someone is missing her and you can find them!

Lisa
04-25-2006, 12:31 PM
Oh she is cute! Of course Ollie is totally gorgeous too!! What is with this young lady, was she abandoned or just lost?

Jen
04-25-2006, 01:04 PM
What is the story on the lovely lady? No wonder Ollie is exhausted, company is tiring!

Rafi
04-25-2006, 01:16 PM
The good thing is she's in good hands, she could have gotten hurt out there by herself.

Please keep us updated on her status. Does she have a collar? maybe she's chipped?

Bella's Mom
04-25-2006, 01:47 PM
Ollie looks so sweet laying there. Have you heard anything about the owner's of your houseguest yet??

Nancy
04-25-2006, 01:51 PM
what a big cutie!!! has an owner stepped forward yet?

Chris
04-25-2006, 01:53 PM
Nope. No Collar. If she did, she'd be home by now :(

We find out if she has a microchip late this afternoon. (pending being able to get her into the cab of the truck...don't worry its a crew cab!). If we can't get her in there someone may have to come to us with a scanner. LOL She will technically fit in there, just getting her in if she is unwilling will be impossible.

We don't know her story. All we know is he saw her early in the day wandering along the boulevard , probably 3-5 miles from us and made if over to our side of town earlier in the day. And she is rather slow and deliberate so that took awhile. He sort of thought that because he ended up seeing her again on the construction site, he definitely had to do something. The construction worker was extremely kind to knock on doors. He has three of his own (two he adopted from Animal Control...YAY our kinda dude!) He is also dog sitting his neighbors dog right now who doesn't take kindly to new dogs so his house was too full to take her home.

I am not good at estimating age of the bigger dogs, but DH and I both agree that she is not a young dog. Not a senior, but definitely not a young pup. It definitely looks like she has had several litters and has some lumps and bumps that make me think she is not extremely young. We don't think she is used to being in a house, as she froze when we approached the front door (so took her around back). but is definitely crate trained or something as she has had no accidents. She definitely was a little dehydrated but it was a hot day yesterday.

We don't know at this point if she is lost or was dumped. We'll find out.

I would think a very large and very slow dog would be difficult to lose, but stranger things have happened.

areese
04-25-2006, 03:57 PM
OMG! She's so pretty. And so big! I hope she's just temporarily lost...

oceangirls
04-25-2006, 04:41 PM
I enjoyed your post, though. I hope the little girl (BIG girl) gets home soon. She's cute, and Ollie is just so adorable I could pick him up and hug him through the screen :hearts:

Dijon04
04-25-2006, 05:52 PM
is she a mastiff? this could be way off but maybe they have some sort of message board like we do for dachshunds? maybe you could post something on a board for that breed and maybe someone knows something? long shot i know but????

Chris
04-25-2006, 07:03 PM
Angela,

Yup, though i don't know what "type". Definitely not a Neopolitan.

I took your suggestion and found one Mastiff forum (the rest were long dead bulletin boards). It was very breeder oriented ("puppies wanted" "puppies available") but I posted anyhow. They don't seem as nutty as we are here on this board :(

Dijon04
04-25-2006, 07:08 PM
well they just aren't as cool....

hope the big little girl finds her home soon

bumpergirl
04-25-2006, 07:13 PM
Looks like a bull mastiff to me. I would start there.

Good luck!

Dijon04
04-25-2006, 07:24 PM
http://clubs.akc.org/aba/

sorry forgot what button to push to add a link.....but that goes to bull mastiffs....emails/phones of officers and directors of american bullmastiff association....

not sure where you are but maybe someone is close?

Mama S.
04-25-2006, 08:20 PM
Poor Ollie, prob isn't sure what that Moose is:rotfl: I sure hope you have some luck finding her hooparents and then killing them for letting her get loose.
Mama

K2
04-26-2006, 06:17 PM
They are both cuties!! Any new info on the "moose"?

Chris
04-27-2006, 10:29 AM
Well, no new scoop. (except that we christened the pooper scooper!)

She has come out of her shell a little more and had a nice roll in the grass. I should say non-grass because we have a drought. I put signs up and am running 2 found dog ads. No calls yet. We are going to get her scanned tomorrow. Today didn't work out with the logistical getting her inside a vehicle situation but its tomorrow for sure.

She does have a hernia it looks like (I was able to see it when she rolled), the kind that they usually fix when they spay. She still has a lot of skin hanging down between her hind legs from pups.

OKAY...DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU ARE EATING!!

Anyway the scarey thing was...is that when we found her she had a little bump on the head that looked like it could be a tumor. I didn't really touch it but it looked hard and beigey colored. And then the next day it started looking really soft like the kind that drain like an absess or like when a human has a pimple. Anyhow...this morning it was gone. Just like taht. and i could feel a very tiny bump that almost just like a mosquito bite. so Nothing. I thought "that was weird! i didn't know something would reduce that fast.

And then we looked at the ground when we got home and DH said "that looks like that thing was on her head" and that thing had legs!

So we put it in a bag and are taking it to a clinic tomorrow.

A really HUGE giant woodtick do you think??

GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poor baby. SHe had diarrhea (imagine that size of dog with that!) and she was doing better on the boy's nutro ultra because it makes less stool volume so it dried her up but maybe it wasn't just the love and the food...but a nasty huge tick was not posioning her anymore!!

I can show a picture if you want to see it in the baggy NOT = that would be too gross.

EEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

Chris

Chris
04-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Alright I have a real update now.

2 ads running plus signs.

I finally got a phone call. Not from the owner, but a guy who has been leaving food out for her and giving her water for quite a long time. He doesn't know what house she came from, but she has been basically neglected to fend for herself. She wouldn't come inside his house, and he has 5 big dogs already and couldn't keep her, but wanted to try to get a roof over her head. he hadn't seen her in 4 days, is glad we got her and hopes that the owners never come forward so she can get a home with people who will let her in the house and spoil her like a queen like she deserves. And he agrees...she popped out a bunch of litters.

There are already calls out to place her in Mastiff rescue if they do not come forward.

I don't know if they do come forward can we charge them with neglect. Or do we have to give her back no matter what. Crossing my fingers, really, that she can get some new people that really deserve a huggable dog like she is.

Jen
04-27-2006, 02:45 PM
If they'd stopped feeding her I doubt they'll bother to claim her. And easier for you to get her in rescue, even if it means they don't pay for their cruelty.

Let us know if that was a giant tick...it may show up in my nightmares, ewwww!