PDA

View Full Version : Do you need heartworm prevention in CT?

Courtney
04-25-2006, 06:11 PM
Year-round or otherwise, is it recommended for residents of CT to give their dogs heartworm prevention, does anyone know? Thanks!

Yolanda
04-25-2006, 06:17 PM
I would say yes, but then I have been know to be wrong.

When you think about the cost of the pill monthly compared to the cost of treatment and suffering for the dogs, it does not make sence not ot give it.

K2
04-25-2006, 06:22 PM
I can only say what my vet says(and I'm in Massachusetts, which borders CT) It is highly recommended that you give the heartworm prevention year round. So, I would think it is highly encouraged but mandated.

But I agree with Yo~why not give it all year and be safe.

Lisa
04-25-2006, 06:28 PM
We only give it for 6 months in our area (Janet do yours get more than that?). The boys get their treatment from May - November.

Patt
04-25-2006, 06:44 PM
Personally I give it all year long, I don't want to chance it. I did find a map of heartworm areas and CT is really not that bad compared to other states. I would leave it up to the vet in that area.

http://heartgard.us.merial.com/whyheartgard/why_problemareas.asp

Courtney
04-25-2006, 07:00 PM
I found that map too Patt, but I wasn't sure. We had someone apply to adopt and they said they "haven't needed" HW prevention yet. Uhhh ya live in TX now, you need it, trust me! We think they just moved from CT. Anyway, thanks guys. I think if you need it in MA you'd need it in CT too!

Jen
04-25-2006, 07:12 PM
I think its best to be safe--and in this day and age, didn't their Vet recommend it? Even in TX? Did they give you a reference in CT? Our NYC Vet definitely wants all patients on it!

areese
04-25-2006, 07:17 PM
We need it May-November. There aren't any mosquitos when there is snow on the ground... If we go on vacation somewhere warm, I get a dose for them when we get back.