PDA

View Full Version : VERY Scary Experience!

Auggie's Mom
04-25-2006, 11:57 PM
I took Auggie out for his late night walk tonight, and as we rounded the corner, he went for a chicken bone lying on the street. Although I tried to pull him away, he got to it before I did. Suddenly, he started coughing, shaking his head, and trying to smoosh his face into the sidewalk. I knelt down and got my hand in his mouth, only to see that he had snapped the bone in half, and it was lodged horizontally between his back teeth (stuck to the roof of his mouth basically). That's when he started to FREAK OUT. Crying, shaking, whining and not letting me get anywhere near his mouth. I scooped him up in my arms and ran home. By the time we got here, he was foaming and bleeding from the mouth. When I got him inside, I was able to calm him down enough to get it out. There's just a minor scratch on the roof of his mouth and no more bleeding.

The funny part is that after I got it out, he tried to get it back and eat it! Will he never learn?!?

Sometimes it's hard being a mom!

Tanya
04-26-2006, 12:13 AM
Oh poor Auggie! What a scary ordeal! :shocked:

I am glad you were able to get it out and he is ok. :hug99:

jenfer
04-26-2006, 12:22 AM
I am glad he is ok. :relieved: From my experience, they never want to learn. :rotfl: Yea, I can't really have a very relaxing walk, because I have to keep an eye on Gi to make sure she doesn't eat everything on the ground.

Patt
04-26-2006, 02:29 AM
That was a close call. :shocked: I'm glad everything turned out okay. A few :bigrayz: :bigrayz: to heal that minor scratch.

Jacqueline
04-26-2006, 03:30 AM
Almost makes you want to muzzle them on walks, doesn't it? Daisy got a piece of chicken bone, and while I wrestled it away from her, Taffy found a piece of one. I grabbed her, and of course, Daisy located another smidgen. Then....pulling them to the car, they found and argued over who got to eat a humongous bolt.

This is why it's called exercise.....we get plenty of it. And it's all cardio....look what it does to our hearts.

:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for you that you recover soon....and NO...they don't learn....and neither do we....we take them out again....:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

K2
04-26-2006, 05:30 AM
Phew!! That must have been so scary. I'm glad everything was okay in the end. :hug99:

Lisa
04-26-2006, 05:45 AM
I am very happy he didn't actually eat the bone, if it did that to his mouth, imagine it inside his body :shocked:

Lots of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: that his mouth heals fast, and :appl: :appl: :appl: to you for getting him home and it out of his mouth!!

Yup, THIS is another shining example of why they are so friggin' cute!!

areese
04-26-2006, 06:26 AM
Scary stuff! I'm so glad he's ok!!!!!!!!!! :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for his mouth (and for your near heart attack!)

Tex
04-26-2006, 07:34 AM
Glad ya'll all came out of it ok. Julie always goes for the stuff she shouldn't eat when we walk. Lots of healing :bigrayz: your direction.

HotDogMama
04-26-2006, 08:06 AM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: Poor Auggie, and Mommy!! :hug99: I'm glad he is OK!! How scary!! :shocked:

lotsadox
04-26-2006, 08:45 AM
That is scary!!! Pebbles did that with a twig she was chewing on years ago. Luckily she did freak out. I couldn't get it unstuck with my fingers and had to use a pair of needle nose pliers! :shocked: She was so good, she just sat there and let me get it out with a minimum of fussing and head shaking.

A chicken bone would be even worse! A lot more scary. And they never learn. She did the same thing a year or so later. :rolleyes:

Jen
04-26-2006, 09:55 AM
How scary!! Glad you got the bone out finally and without too much damage to Auggie's mouth!

Tasha got a flossie stuck in her back teeth once and was making the worst noises...I was ready to start shaking her upside down, thinking she was choking, when Rich pointed out it wasn't in her throat, but in her teeth. Whew.

As the weather gets warmer, there's more and more junk on the sidewalk for the puppers to try to eat! :rolleyes:

Nancy
04-26-2006, 10:17 AM
poor auggie and you!!! glad things turned out o.k.!

Bella's Mom
04-26-2006, 10:26 AM
So glad he's okay! That is scary!

Auggie's Mom
04-26-2006, 10:49 AM
Thanks for your kind thoughts and rays everyone.

If I see anyone drop a chicken bone on the street, I'm going to kick their a@@. I mean, who walks down the street eating chicken anyway? :confused:

Jen
04-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Its those damn cabbies!! They park, eat, toss the chicken out the window.

And Casey, you do like 1/2 block from a chicken place on 9th, next door to that jewelry place. I'll bet a lot of people stand outside and eat. :rolleyes:

Btw, I know you had problems with someone leaving chicken out for the pigeons by the playground (eww). Did that person ever stop?

Laurie' s Dachshunds
04-26-2006, 11:17 AM
Maybe it' s a good thing it got caught in his mouth. Sorry it was so scary for you.I' m glad Auggie didn' t eat it. Chicken bones are very bad. I' ve known of dogs that had punctures internally from eating them.

Auggie's Mom
04-26-2006, 11:33 AM
Jen-
The next time I get in a cab, I'm going to ask the driver if he eats chicken! If he says yes, I'm getting out!

That psycho is still leaving chicken, bread, even cooked fish by the playground. At least I know it's coming and can prepare myself and Aug.

For all-
I'm about to start feeding Aug a raw diet. Is this not a problem with raw chicken bones? Now I'm a little scared!

Jen
04-26-2006, 11:40 AM
I swear, the worst street for leftovers I found is 45th between 10th and 11th by the gas station. I think the cabbies all park for dinner break and dump all trash, leftovers, etc in the gutter there. I only ever saw ONE actually go to the trash can on the corner and use it!!

I think raw bones are just fine. Tasha chews on marrow bones no problem, and I know Sandi's crew eats bone in chicken!

Mama S.
04-27-2006, 07:27 PM
Cooked chicken bones are def a NO NO as they splinter and can be deadly. Raw bones are soft and pliable- mine eat them at least 3-4 times per week with no problems at all! As an extra treat tonight they each got a chicken neck - not much meat but they soo love to crunch those bones!
Sandi

JanUet
04-27-2006, 07:44 PM
OMG! That is scary! My 2 know well enough that when they try and grab anything from the sidewalk, grass or street...my hand will go directly into their mouths! I just say a firm "NO!" and surprisingly they listen!

I hope Auggie is okay! and :pray: that he LEARNS from the awful experience!!!

oceangirls
04-29-2006, 09:39 AM
not at all surprising that he reached for it again after you got it out :D - I'm glad he's okay... hopefully your heart rate has returned to normal now!

I would get so mad seeing all that litter on a daily basis!! How hard is it to find a trash can?? :mad2: :mad1: