PDA

View Full Version : Pokey's Heart and Breathing

Pokeys Mom
04-27-2006, 03:58 AM
My poor baby Pokey! Hopefully he's just stuffy. We were supposed to start his Enacard (for his Level V-ish heart murmur, his heart getting bigger than last year and having more fluid in his lungs,) mid-week after he finished his Flagyl.

He's been peppy and active, and just coughs sometimes after sleeping a full night. He was fine all day. I went to work, came back late and found DH with the Hound Health Handbook out. He said Pokey's breathing was rapid and that he was having some trouble. Me = :sad3: just mentally.

Took a breath went to call E-Vet, decided it would be good for me to assess Pokey first... d'oh... sounds likes like he's very stuffy, but still breathing fast. However, very zippy and trotting around looking for food and booting Marta out of her bed. DH said Pokey was almost running outside on his leash during a long walk an hour before I came home. :boogie:

Implemented recent Vet advice: Wiener Steam! His snout cleared right up after a good steaming. :pray: Thank heavens... breathing clear, but still fast.

It was time to give his first dose of Enacard, so he enjoyed his treat. He wanted to be held and hooked his chin over my shoulder. His breathing seemed to calm down a lot, but still was a little on the fast side.

Read Hound Health Handbook... no reason to rush him in... DH calmed me down about calling E-Vet... *gulp* Can I say that the Handbook is NOT good bed time reading material!?! More internal :sad3: for me. Grrrr.

Time for bed... Pokey trotted outside for "last call" just fine was eager to eat treats, seemed better breathing and wanted "snuggies" from mom.

In his bed... zonked. Very tired with fast breathing. Slower, though. :please: I'm not able to sleep anyways due to a late work night. I'm ready to crawl in Pokey's bed. I'll keep checking on him all night.

He has seemed comfortable all evening and never was panting.

Anyone else experience this from heart troubles? There are extra things blooming outside allergy-wise (he's on benadryl). I can't stand seeing my baby not at 100%!! :hissy:

Sophie and Lili's Mom
04-27-2006, 05:26 AM
Oh Renee!! You poor thing...and Pokey too. I had a dog die of congestive heart failure. I think this is what that sounds like (not the death part). She had it..gosh 3 or 4 years (as did her son now that I think of it). Now we have Celsea who has a heart murmur. She is fine...13 or maybe even 14 but fine. The meds can do wonders for helping this settle. I lived through more than a few moments like you are describing. The drugs were not as good back then. Still the end was very different and I knew it was the end. Pokey still has a lot of life in him and just take it one day at a time (and give him a kiss from me each day too). Your loving is the best nursing and meds that Pokey can get!

Lisa
04-27-2006, 07:03 AM
I am sorry I don't have anything to offer but support and lots of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

:bighug: Renee! Please keep us posted, I think it's a good sign he is so zippy though. What exactly is a wiener steam? I think I know, but how do you keep them in one place?

Tex
04-27-2006, 07:21 AM
Pokey is just precious!!! He looks like my daddy's wiener, Ginger. Anyway, sorry I don't have any experience with heart problems, but......BIG HEALING :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: from Julile, Jax & me. I'm glad that he's on meds that seem to help. Please keep us posted. Lots of :pray: your way!

Fluffy
04-27-2006, 07:29 AM
Oh Renee!!! :bighug: and :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: headed your way for Brave Sir Pokey (did i get it right this time?? :lol:) The fact that he's got a lot of spunk in him is a very very good thing!! Once he gets settled on the meds, I am sure you will see a turn around in him. You are sucn an :angel7: and Pokey loves you so much. Your love and TLC will help him get better too!! Please keep us posted on his progress w/ the meds!!! :bighug:

areese
04-27-2006, 08:09 AM
Many many :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Pokey and Mom. It does seem like a good thing that he is peppy and active!

lotsadox
04-27-2006, 08:57 AM
I had a dachsie mix named CC who had heart problems (murmur and irregular heartbeat). As she got older she had problems with rapid heartbeat especially after I'd take her for her walk. I talked to the vet about it and we adjusted her medication. She still had the rapid heart beat after walks, but it wasn't as bad. However, she would also act fatigued, not peppy like you describe Pokey so there may have been other complications with her. :scratch:

Rae
04-27-2006, 09:22 AM
Peppy is good! Sorry to hear that Brave Sir Pokey is not 100% and that mom is having :sad1: . Here is big :hearts: from Duchie and a face lick too. I know how hard it is to see them not just right, Renee, and I appreciate all your kind and encouraging words when Duchie was sick back last June and all summer.

They ARE resilient little pooches and I am so glad you know to steam him... glad it is helping.

Love you guys and sending big (where the heck is that valium smilie?) :bigrayz: and :pray: for sweet BSP to be much better very soon.

Jen
04-27-2006, 09:41 AM
Oh Renee, how worrying! :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: for you and :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Sir Pokey!!

Do tell how the steamng works--run a shower in the bathroom with the door closed? I know that's good for me when I'm congested!

K2
04-27-2006, 10:34 AM
I can only give you :hug99: :hug99: and some :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and :pray: :pray: for Pokey.

Michelle
04-27-2006, 11:53 AM
OH nooo, Poor Pokey,, Sending lots of healing rays for him!!!!
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :pray: :pray:

Pokeys Mom
04-27-2006, 12:16 PM
Do tell how the steamng works--run a shower in the bathroom with the door closed? I know that's good for me when I'm congested!

First of all a big THANK YOU to everyone for the rayz, support and sharing of past experiences! :hug99: I slept on the floor with him, but was only able to catch 2 hours last night, so I'm a little bleary!

His breathing is still labored, but a lot less than last night. I walked him this morning and he was trotting with perked ears and an upright tail. :hearts: He snorked all of his breakfast after barking that it wasn't coming to him fast enough! (-never does that!)

We have known that he would face congestive heart failure at some point down the road. Last week the vet gave us the meds to help slow down that process. DH is going to call the vet when they open just to make sure things sound right. With the stuffy nose, I wonder if he has a virus... :scratch: ... but he gets a stuffy nose a lot.

Wiener Steam: 1) The easiest is to take his bed in a small bathroom while I take a steamy shower, or just create a lot of steam in the shower. (I usually pick him up and let him sniff around at the end since the steam rises.), 2) Quick Steam: carefully fill up a sink with very hot water, get a towel to form a tent, and let your pupper breathe in the steam while standing on the counter. (-I have to use a peanut butter lure and put my own head under the tent too! I pass the time by talking to him and pointing out things in the water, real or imaginary.) :rolleyes:

Thanks again for the support. :hug99: I'm going to take a nap with him and then plow through some work plans for tonight. (bleary eyes!)

Pokey's Dad
04-27-2006, 12:37 PM
Yes, thank you so much, all of you! We love our little guy so much, and he's usually such a resilient guy, that when he does show signs of being ill, it takes us by surprise. You're the best bunch of people, and we really appreciate the advice and good will.

Pokeys Mom
04-27-2006, 12:38 PM
Pokey's Vet said that since his energy level seems normal, that it's probably not a big problem. She recommends continuing to give him the meds, and keep an eye on him over the next couple of days.

If he starts to become lethargic, then we should bring him in.

*whew*

Patt
04-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Renee, I am so sorry to hear about Pokey and his heart problems. They usually give oxygen to ease the breathing, but it sounds like a good steaming helped him. My experience is as follows. Several years ago I had a 12 yo Bichon named Angel with CHF. She was on a number of meds; the ones I can remember are Lasix, Digoxin (Lanoxin), Enacard and Pred. Sorry I don’t remember if they were all administered at the same time or at different times. Morning cough was the biggie in discovering her heart problems. Panting and fast pulse were the other signs. My vet diagnosed CHF and we took Angel to a cardiologist for x-rays, EKG’s and ultra sound to determine her exact problem. Note: In the future, if they give Pokey Lasix, it will make him urinate more, but it helps get rid of the fluid build up. I found an up-to-date link that explains CHF a little better that you might want to check out.

http://www.2ndchance.info/conghtfaildog.htm

Sending mega :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and :pray:ers to Pokey.

Yolanda
04-27-2006, 12:46 PM
Lots of special :pray: :pray: :pray: and :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Pokey.

laura
04-27-2006, 12:59 PM
Harold has heart problems too. (16 years old and going strong) He gets a heart medication, but CoQ10 is a supplement that the specialty vet clinic here actually endorses! We have seen a huge difference in him since putting him on it! Can be found in liquid and capsules. About 15mgs a day divided in two doses.

Laura

JuneyTrixie
04-27-2006, 01:24 PM
I don't know have experience with congestive heart problems, but I do want to send you rays for Pokey. I hope he starts feeling lots better. He is such a cutie. :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: :rayz::rayz::rayz::rayz:

HotDogMama
04-27-2006, 03:08 PM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: Lots of rays, and kisses for the Pokester!!! :pray:

samandissy
04-27-2006, 04:20 PM
:bigrayz: to Pokey and his Mom and Dad. I just learned that my seven year old has a murmur and after reading the replies for Pokey, I do feel better and hopeful that he will live many many more years with me. Best wishes for Pokey. Susie

Frzframe
04-27-2006, 04:58 PM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz:'s for Pokey. I'm glad he still has spring to his step cause that's a good sign. Keep us updated on how he's doing.

Mama S.
04-27-2006, 07:42 PM
Will keep sending major Pokey :bigrayz: that all will get better! Am I seeing things or do we now have a Pokeys Dad as well?! FABULOUS!!!!!
Mama