View Full Version : We fell in love w/ a pup we met on our walkie!!

Kerie
04-27-2006, 05:15 PM
Today Oscar and I walked over to a nearby apartment complex. We met a Red Dachsund Beagle mix. She is so gorgeous and so well behaved. Picture a red short haired/smooth dachsie with all it's features scaled up in size, weighing about 45 lbs! A GIANT DACHSIE!!! She had a dachsie face and ears but had 2-3 crinkles on top of her forehead. She was watching us approach from up the block, but she was just sitting and waiting for us to get to her. We didn't know if her family wanted Oscar to approach but then they brought her to us. I can't even explain how sweet she was. She looks like a puppy but the little boy said that she's "a grownup." I wish I could ask to take a photo. AND GET THIS--HER NAME IS CORTNEY. So, a giant dachsie is named after someone we all know!!!

Cortney's owners warned me that their neighbors have a beagle that is very crazy. We talked about it a little and then lo and behold, the woman with the beagle came out. Oscar and the beagle played a little and their leashes got all tangled up. I was scared because they seemed to be having fun but also seemed to be sizing each other up and I was wondering if one of them was about to assert himself. I have a friend who tells me to just let the dogs work it out for a while, buit that can be so scary. We could not let them off leash where we were. So, when we left, the beagle was barking like mad but Cortney just sat and watched Oscar go!

As for Cortney, this was the first time that we were ever able to approach an unknown female and I didn't have to wonder if she was in heat or whether any "funny business" was going to start with Oscar and her. Oscar is snipped now. It was not until I was home for a while that I realized that the situation was less stressful for me!

Oh, I wish I could tell you how cute this pup (Cortney) was. I was wondering if she is a designer dog (crossed breed on purpose, very expensive) but I have a feeling she is from North Shore Animal League, which is where so many Long Islanders get their pups.

Lisa
04-27-2006, 05:22 PM
Don't leave home without your camera again - EVER! :D We need pictures, I love Beagle and obviously Doxies - I can only image how adorable she is.

I am happy to hear the Oscar's neutering is already making your life easier and less stressful. :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

lotsadox
04-27-2006, 05:40 PM
What fun to meet a dachsie mix! :banana: :banana: As the owner of several mixes (past and present) I know what wonderful dogs they can be. Bandit was a dachsie/cocker mix. We called her a "dacher" and Scooter is a lab (we think)/dachshund mix so we decided he's a "dachsador". What would be dachs/beagle be? :scratch: Could be a dachle or beachshund? :rotfl: :rotfl:

Kerie
04-27-2006, 05:42 PM
I like "beachshund."

The call a pug beagle a puggle. So maybe we'd have a dachsle.

Mama S.
04-27-2006, 07:23 PM
Sounds like fun for all and no headache for Mama!! Next time - pictures!!!
Mama

K2
04-27-2006, 07:30 PM
Yup~bring your camera next time!! Sounds like fun and it sounds like Oscar's neuter was good for you~as well as him! ;)

Jen
04-27-2006, 07:36 PM
Ooooh, will she bring the dachsle to the Spring Fiesta on Sat? A 45 lb doxie I have to see!! Sounds great and its nice that Oscar's snip allows you to relax more when meeting other dogs.