PDA

View Full Version : ear yuck! what can we do

Kerie
04-28-2006, 04:29 AM
Oscar had his ears cleaned when he was out for his neuter just 2 weeks ago. 2 days ago, I noticed that one of his ears was full of yucky brown crust. I know it was not like that after the vets, or ever before. When I noticed it, I cleaned his ear with OTI-CLENS, which is something the doctor sold to us last year for maintenance. I think that this stuff is very harsh though. After I cleaned his ears by using an old (but clean) washcloth and the OTI-CLENS, his ear got very red inside and a few hours later it seemed like some of the crud had grown back (a very dark color, maybe there was blood in it?). His ear is still very red inside. It is cruddy still but not as bad as 2 days ago (close though). Can I buy somethiing to treat this??

If we go back to the vet, it will surely be $90 or more for the office visit, plus the cost of medicine. I'll absolutely take him if I have to but if there is a remedy to try, I'd like to, to at least see if it gets better in a few days. My inlaws use this vet, so my husband trusts them, but they are so expensive. I think that Oscar may have gotten this ear thing at the vet, but I still think they'd charge us over $100.

Jen
04-28-2006, 09:18 AM
That kind of what Tasha's earwax looks like--brown and yukky. We use the ear cleaner once a week, the same brand you have (stinks doesn't it--we call her gorgonzola ears after!). The additional stuff you saw may be the loosened wax coming up after you cleaned the ears.

Maybe seasonal allergies are making him produce more earwax? Is he rubbing his ears on the ground a lot? Its he's super itchy or it smells really bad it might be an infection. If its mildly smelly and he's not rubbing his head more than a few times a day, it may just be earwax, at least from my experience with Tasha.

Jill
04-28-2006, 09:55 AM
B&R get brown ear wax too. It's doesn't smell though. I just clean their ears 1x a week with rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball.

Irminsul
04-28-2006, 10:14 AM
If it has a strong odor to it, it could be ear mites... Is he shaking his head a lot, or scratching?

Jen
04-28-2006, 10:33 AM
I'd say that's the key Kat. We can tell is its an infection or mites as Tasha rubs and rubs and rubs her head on the ground, and scratches a LOT. Otherwise, normal ear wax she has LOTS of an it has an odor, but not really bad.

Patt
04-28-2006, 11:07 AM
Dirty ears can become a real problem. I would try cleaning the ear with the OTI-CLENS for 3 days in a row and see how it is. It it clears up than I would use it once or twice a week. If it is still gets red and the 'crud' comes back I think Oscar needs to see the vet. With ear problems the longer you wait the more it will cost. Good luck!

Kerie
04-28-2006, 11:30 AM
The problem is that the OTI CLENS seems to be so irritating! Anyway, the redness looks better now. It is only one ear, so that has me concerned. He scratches maybe a little more than usual but not much. I don't think there is much of an odor. I'm going to chase him down and find out!

Courtney
04-28-2006, 11:34 AM
I've not used this stuff personally but I have heard it really works. The gentian violet will stain though so be careful!

Blue Power

warm the solution before putting it in the ear by placing it in a cup
of very warm water for about a half hour or so

INGREDIENTS:
16 Oz. Isopropyl Alcohol
4 Tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
16 Drops Gentian Violet Solution 1%

Mix together in alcohol bottle and shake well. You will also need to
shake solution every time you use it to disperse the Boric Acid
Powder. To use, purchase the "Clairol" type plastic bottle to dispense
solution to affected ears.

TREATMENT: Evaluate condition of ears before treating and if very
inflamed and sore do not attempt to pull hair or clean out ear at all.
Wait until inflammation has subsided which will be about 2 days.

Shake the bottle each time before using. Flood the ear with solution
(gently squirt bottle), massage gently to the count of 60, wipe with a
tissue. Flood again on first treatment, wipe with a tissue, and leave
alone without massage. The dog will shake out the excess which can be
wiped with a tissue, the Gentian Violet does stain fabrics.

SCHEDULE OF TREATMENT
Treat 2x per day for the first week to two weeks depending upon severity of ears
Treat 1x per day for the next 1-2 weeks
Treat 1x per month (or even less frequently, depending on the dog)

All of these ingredients should be available at a pharmacy. The Boric
Acid Powder soothes the ear. The Gentian Violet Solution is an
anti-infection agent. The solution appears to work well on any and all
ear problems from mites to wax to canker. After the second or third
you can clean out the ear with a Q-tip or cotton balls. Their success
rate for this treatment is 95-99%. Those who do not succeed have
usually not done the treatment long enough or have not been regular
about it.

Dogs on the verge of ear canal surgery have been returned to normal
with only the regular follow-up treatment to keep the ear healthy. If
an infection seems to be remaining in the treated ear after the above
course of treatment, you may also have some Pseudomonas bacteria in
the site. This can be eradicated by using a gentle flush of raw apple
cider vinegar and water (warm). Use 2 Tablespoons of vinegar to one
cup of water, 2x per week.

They have found the Blue Power Solution to be effective for treating
fungus-type infections on the feet and elsewhere on the dog, for cuts
on dogs or people, and for hot spots. You may find other uses for this
simple anti-infective agent. Remember it is for external use only and
be careful not to get into the eyes.

Patt
04-28-2006, 11:48 AM
The problem is that the OTI CLENS seems to be so irritating! Anyway, the redness looks better now. It is only one ear, so that has me concerned. He scratches maybe a little more than usual but not much. I don't think there is much of an odor. I'm going to chase him down and find out!You could try another cleaner, I use Vet Solutions (from the vets).

Jen
04-28-2006, 11:53 AM
Thanks Courtney--I may try that as Tasha's ears get a bit red from both cleaners I have.

Kerie
04-28-2006, 12:10 PM
ok I just checked. Not even a faint odor. not red at all at the moment. i may just buy a diffferent cleaner at the pet store.

Tex
04-28-2006, 12:28 PM
Sounds like a different cleaner may do the trick.......have you thought about a different vet? No offense intended to your current vet or your husband, but wouldn't it be nice to be able to go in and not spend an arm and a leg?

Kerie
04-28-2006, 12:40 PM
Sounds like a different cleaner may do the trick.......have you thought about a different vet? No offense intended to your current vet or your husband, but wouldn't it be nice to be able to go in and not spend an arm and a leg?

Yah I think about changing vets a lot but my husband always says he'll just pay the extra b/c he trusts them so much. I do think that our vet is great, but more $$ than most around here. I also really like the people who work there (except when they give us the bill).

lotsadox
04-28-2006, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the info on the Blue Powder Solution, Courtney. I'm going to have to ask my vet about that. I rarely have ear problems with my crew, but it would be nice to have something less toxic to use when I do.

My vet is very expensive, but I've gone to her for 18 years and she has always given me good advice and spends as much time with me as I need. I feel that this makes up for any extra expense. It's a very personal decision, but you can sometimes spend more on second opinions and going back repeatedly for the same problem if you switch vets and don't feel that you can trust the new one or that perhaps he/she doesn't have as much experience. :dunno:

areese
04-28-2006, 01:53 PM
You can use a 1:1 ration of 3% hydrogen peroxide and water to flush an ear out. If the ear is already kinda sore, this won't sting...
Laika's been on her ear drops and this oti calm ear cleaning solution for 9 days now...her ears look great to me but then again, I didn't see the problem to start with and she hadn't been itching or rubbing or shaking her head. She's on an antihistimine too cuz a lot of times, ear infections in the spring around here are cuz of allergies. The cleaning solution never seeemed to irritate her ears but Oti Calm might be gentler than Oti Clens? She gets checked wednesday and I hope it's gone cuz she HATES the drops and cleaning. I regularly cleaned hers out with alcohol on a cotton ball which she doesn't mind but the squirting of a lot of liquid in her ears must feel really unpleasant.
The instructors at our agility class told me about some iodine solution they used with their dogs with great success but alas, I have forgotten exactly what it was. I'll ask them next week when classes start again..

Kerie
04-28-2006, 05:42 PM
My husband spoke to the vet by phone (no charge, LOL). She said that we are to clean his ears every other day for about a week and see if it clears up. It's not uncommon for more wax to rise to the top after each cleaning. I forgot to tell my husband to ask for a different cleaning solution. Some people have recommended baby oil (small amount, just on the cloth). I used it in the past with great success but if he has an infection, could it be bad? I think he needs something soothing.

Today it really looks almost normal!

JanUet
04-28-2006, 05:57 PM
I use tea tree oil to clean out Casey's and Sophie's ears.

They don't have a whole lot of brown gunk in their ears and are not bothered by the oil. They are just bothered by Mommie chasing them down to get their ears done. Once they see the cotton balls :seeya:

catstamm
04-28-2006, 07:22 PM
Sounds like ear mites to me too.... Carlee had that when I rescued her ...yuckie...it's easy to get rid of with meds...good luck

Patt
04-28-2006, 08:04 PM
Today it really looks almost normal!
The OTI CLENS must be working. :appl: I would follow your vets advice, but if you still think the solution is too harsh, Doctors Foster & Smith catalog shows Ear Clens Pads with a gentle solution to wipe away debris & dirt. Perhaps you could purchase something similar at Petsmart or Petco.

Kerie
05-01-2006, 12:47 AM
The OTI Clens seems to be working but the ear is still not as clean as the other one. We are continuing to use it but we are almost out of it. I think I'm going to try something different when we finish this bottle. Maybe tea tree oil of something that contains tea tree oil. I like that idea.