PDA

View Full Version : Alex on a jealous rampage!

Chris
04-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Well, as many of you know we have a 150+ lb mastiff in our florida room.

Ollie has just been bouncing off the walls in glee. And barking.

Alex has been the perfect gentleman and host to his guest.

Well, all that changed today. Ollie has settled down after the novelty is no longer there. Alex decided that she has overstayed her welcome! Alex is totally housebroken. If he has an accident, you should call the doggie version of 911 because he is terribly sick....or terribly mad at us.
Anyway, I open the door to the florida room so they can have their morning "saying hi to the big girl after we have taken them all out to do their business". Ollie pranced around as usual. but Alex marched over very purposefully, did the "stretch" and peed right in the middle of her blanket!!

Its in the washing machine right now.

How's that for hospitality?

I never hit or spank my dogs EVER. Discipline is always removal from the situation or with a words. ("no", "stop", "hey", "that's bad") But i tapped Al on the rump. Really just BARELY touched him. And he turns around and "cussed me out for it". Yep, he growled at me for a sec. Like how DARE I scold him!!! And then he proudly marched back into the living room!

ANyway, we are back in the house and Al is the dutiful, loving doggie again. The whole visit we have been making sure to feed him first, pet him first and give him special priveleges. But i guess that just ain't good enough for the pampered prince.

I just cannot believe he did that!

Chris

Irminsul
04-28-2006, 05:28 PM
Yep, he showed you who's boss.... As amusing as that sounds, if he had growled at me he would have gotten another tap. Followed by being picked up by the scruff of his neck and set outside. He was treating you like a puppy, not an alpha. Keep an eye on him. He clearly claims the house as his.

Have you tried taking all dogs on a nice walk around the neighborhood together? It really helps them figure out each other's body language etc.

Any knews from the owners of the mastiff yet?

Tex
04-28-2006, 05:55 PM
I can just picture your little one with the mastiff......hope they get along better....or that the owner of the mastiff shows up!! Still think ya'll are :angel7: s for taking him in.

Chris
04-28-2006, 06:53 PM
I took them all for a walk - a few laps around the outside of the house. I am not going to take all three farther down the road until DH comes home so he can take a dog. In the yard, Ollie and the big girl wear leashes (as well as any other visiting dog), Alex doesn't. So maybe that is part of the problem. Maybe Alex should have to wear something too besides his collar to be reminded he's the doggie, we're the people.

Maybe we are too soft on the boys (Alex mainly). In other ways he really does know his place. But i think there are times when he thinks the rank goes DH, Alex, Me, Ollie. Ollie thinks the rank is Me, DH, Alex, Ollie. (ollie was the exhausted little doggie i showed the pic of in the hot dog forum)

Of this writing, the mastiff is not going to her old home unless something radically changes in the next few days, she will be going to mastiff rescue for her chance to have a loving family as soon as we wait out the number of days legally required in the county to stop looking for her family. No responses from 2 ads (except someone missing a Corgi. Knew it wasn't her dog but was calling every ad just in case someone had called me about a found one), signs, calls around to area vets in case anyone asked them, etc. I finally did get a phone call from a nice man who was not the owner but has been leaving food and water outside for her for quite awhile as off and on as a stray on the other side of town. He was able to describe her to a T and said that he thought she was used to crank out pups and then maybe went beyond her usefulness and the people didn't look after her anymore or left her to fend for herself. He was worried sick the last few days hoping that she was not picked up by animal control where her chances of being put down are great. He couldn't keep her as he had several big dogs already, and he was so glad we picked her up and she would get a chance at a good life if her owners didn't come forward if they even cared enough to.

Oh BTW, no microcip (surprise, surprise) and Lisa at our favorite rescue thinks she is about 4 years old.

I was connected with a wonderful lady at mastiff rescue that i was referred to who has owned the big dogs for over 30 years, and when the days run out, I feel very comfortable about her taking the big girl.

Normally i would hold onto a dog for a long time if we can't find their owner, but with the report from the man who called, I am honoring the ads, etc, I have running, but that is about it. If there is an owner out there, they do not want to meet me!

This doesn't look like this is going to end in a happy reunion like all the other dogs we have found in the past, but she would be better off getting a brand new situation where she is loved like crazy. We love her, but know that a person who is more experienced with huge dogs would be better for her.

K2
04-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the update. I'm glad you got in touch with some people who could help her out.

As for Alex~he really did let you know what he was thinking. :) I hope it doesn't happen again. Thanks for looking after this big girl! :hug99:

Jacqueline
04-29-2006, 01:01 AM
If the owners should show up, I would tell them that they can't have the dog released to them until they speak with animal control and the police first. That should effectively get rid of them.

I think that they will not be darkening your door. Sounds like she was used as a puppy factory, and either outgrew her usefulness, or made good her escape. She did good, either way, landing on your Florida room floor.

Thanks for being her angel.

Chris
04-29-2006, 03:18 PM
Well, there's no way we couldn't take her in. The only other option was to have the guy who brought her take her to AC and NO WAY on that. It was funny, we didn't even have that split second where we looked at eachother (DH and I) and have the "are we crazy?? what are we thinking" look like we had when we brought another dog home a different time.

Here's the latest photo of the big girl:

http://doxielovers.com/dlc/showthread.php?t=4422

Alex has minded his manner today pretty well around her. But i think we are going to curtail a couple special priveleges with him so he gets the feeling that he is not the ruler of the roost. (ruler of all dogs is okay, but not emperor of all people)

I should have known though...Alex "picked" his name. DH had the biography listings in the unabridged dictionary and he said whatever Al pointed his paw at would be the name that he "picked". (maybe that sounds crazy) He put is foot paw down on Alexander the Great, and looking back, nothing could have been more fitting for his loving but at the same time"entitled" acting 'Tude!