PDA

View Full Version : Dachshunds & Agility, flyball etc.

catstamm
04-28-2006, 07:36 PM
Any information on this subject would be appreciated...... has any one extensively researched The impact agility training has on a dachshunds spine? Working in rescue we see more downed doxies than you can imagine. Some stats indicate 1 in 4 Dachshunds will develop a back/spine problem! I realize I know NOTHING about the subject but, I can't see how the movement, jumping, climbing and impact could be good on a dachshunds spine..... Is the course different for a dachshund? Are some of the obstacles left out? I'd appriciate any info anyone can give me....Thanks:scratch: :scratch:

areese
04-28-2006, 09:12 PM
The course is not different for a dachshund nor is anything left out. My dogs jump 8 inches. The height of the jump depends on the height of the dog but not the breed. I wouldn't jump them higher than 8, though, and I don't like a super tall aframe either so I don't do venues that require a 12 inch jump or a 5'10" a-frame. I do running contacts so they aren't jarring their back stopping at the bottom of the a-frame or dogwalk.
I will share with you some emails I got when I was researching agility for dachshunds. I will add my dogs run through the woods, up and down hills, fly off the porch, leap over logs, and many other things. The breeder where I got Laika has had no back issues and her dogs run wild on their farm. I believe the stronger the dog's back and esp. tummy muscles and the more fit they are, and NOT OVERWEIGHT, the less likely you will have problems. Except if genetically there is a disc problem. Then nothing is going to prevent difficulties anyway...
here's one email: (in resonse to someone from New Zealand)
While Dachshunds are not by any means the primary breed at agility
trials here in the US, there are quite a few doing agility with their
Dachshunds and the number is rising. There was a very small informal
agility match held this weekend in the Dallas Fort Worth (Texas) area.
The weather looked iffy so I think many just stayed home. I don't think
there were more than 25 total dogs but of those, 8 were Dachshunds.

The match organizer was joking about having enough for a major and it
seemed as if we were having a Dachshund specialty. Several others
commented about the number of Dachshunds and wondered if there was a
specialty coming up. <ggg> Just the national, and close for us.

I personally do not believe that a fit, healthy Dachshund is at risk
doing agility. The A frame is thought by some to be dangerous so they
choose to do only Jumpers. I don't think it's necessarily dangerous
unless you have dogs who insist on flying off rather than going all the
way to the bottom, whether you do a run off or two on/two off. Fly offs
are dangerous but they are regardless of the breed. My first agility
dog has NO problems going all the way to the end. The new one I've
started DOES like to fly off and I'm going to have to pay particular
attention so that he doesn't do it.

I've seen big dogs fall off the dog walk but no one raises concerns
about agility being dangerous for them. Actually, the dog walk is far
more difficult for the big dogs than it is for our guys. As in
everything, common sense and teaching so that it's the most safe and
consistent will be your guide.

Yes, sometimes things happen. Sometimes in life things happen. It's a
personal decision as to whether or not you feel safe having your
Dachshund run in agility. I hope that you are able to show your agility
community in NZ that it can be done safely. Have fun; enjoy!

and two more:
Amy - Thanks for your e-mail. Doing agility is wonderful for doxies! My dogs love it (as you can see from the pix.) Doxies get back problems from jumping down from heights, such as jumping down from a high bed or chair. Or from being overweight (too much weight to carry between front and hind legs.) A healthy dachshund doesn't have problems from jumping off of the ground over 8" bars!! It is great exercise for their little bodies, too. The Dachshund Club of America even sponsors an agility event every year for only dachshunds to participate. It is so much fun. Go to www.DCA2005.org to see!

Amy -- It is a shame that a vet (of all people) would know so little about dachshund activities. Keep it up with your little girl! It is a great team sport! Thanks so much for the photo of your doxie- she is lovely! Try to find AKC events so she can jump 8". I have a very little dachshie (Abby - her photo is on my agility site) who has been jumping "preferred class" at 4". She started when she was just 12 months old, so I didn't want to affect her growth plates by making her jump higher. (She measures just 7.5" at the withers, so she is really small.) I will probably put her on 8" jumps when she is 2. (You can't earn a "MACH" in preferred class, and she is really good!) Please keep in touch and let me know how your search goes. I can try to help you find local agility trials if you tell me where you are in Michigan. Karen

alfina
04-28-2006, 09:12 PM
There was some research done recently and doing a whole lot of agility is hard on any dog. For instance, when you train your dog to do contacts "two on two off" way, they often run at full speed and then have to stop all the sudden at the end. As well as landing after going over a jump.

That's why warming up and stretching is important for dogs as it is for any athlete. Being in tip top shape, not overweight, etc.

I teach Seb to do contacts running. He trully enjoys his agility class. He was leaping off and on furniture at home before we started agility. Sabrina, on the other hand a lot of times, wants to be lifted on and off, carried downstairs to go out. I would never sign her up for agility. So, I think it is a call for your own judgement on how safe you think it is for your dog to be involved in such active sport.

But I do believe that a lot of back problems in dachshunds are genetic. And especially in dogs that come from BYB or puppy mills.Which is the sourse of most dogs in rescue.

Tex
04-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Great post Amy!!! and thanks for asking the question Cathleen...I've been wondering about agility. I know Zandra (aka Sophie & Lili's mom) does agility too. Maybe she'll post when she gets back from her NY trip......

catstamm
04-29-2006, 01:57 AM
Thanks Amy.....great info, I'd like any more information you can give me. It is very interesting and a subject I'm not familiar with. I'm sure I'll be asking you more questions :confused: I've never seen a dachshund on an agility course...I'd love pics :banana: What exactly is Flyball?

samandissy
04-29-2006, 02:11 AM
Flyball is amazing, but I just can't see a doxie doing that. All the doxies I know would grab the ball and run away with it. It is really something to watch though. S I S

Chris
04-29-2006, 09:21 AM
I have heard with flyball/frisbee dogs that they teach the dogs to land on all fours at the same time, versus taking off and landing on their hind first and that is what saves their backs.

I can imagine teaching an Aussie to do that, but don't know how that works with a doxie.

oceangirls
04-29-2006, 09:35 AM
Flyball is amazing, but I just can't see a doxie doing that.

Tanya's Peaches does flyball... she would be a good person to ask about that.

I tend to agree with Olga's assessment. I would guess (although don't quote me :D ) that you would find just as many dogs with back problems who did not do agility (or any heavy jumping/stairs, etc) as those who did participate.

Tanya
04-29-2006, 10:31 PM
Peaches is in classes for both Flyball and Agility right now, though she is not ready to compete in either yet.

I'll start with agility...I am not really very concerned about her developing back problems as a result of participating in Agility. Like others have said, dogs that don't compete in agility could develop back problems. There are many benefits that outweigh whatever risk there might be...
* Teamwork between me and her
* A structured outlet for her to release her energy
* Socialization with other dogs
* A "job" that challenges her physically and mentally

Like others, we also do the running contacts. Which I think is better than the two on, two off. So far, Peaches hasn't jumped off the obstacles, but it would concern me if she started doing that. However, if a dog is doing that...it's the handler's fault.

Peaches is in very good shape and she seems to enjoy agility, so we are really looking forward to competing. :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

--------------------------------------

Now Flyball! Very few doxies compete in Flyball. There are only about 30 doxies registered with the North American Flyball Association vs. 4210 border collies! :shocked: However, I am really hoping to see Peaches compete. She is getting better and better each week of class and has practiced with a team twice.

This page gives a good description of what Flyball is: Flyball (http://www.flyball.com/speedracers/flyball.htm)

Basically it's a relay race with 4 dogs per team. They jump over 4 hurdles, hit a box that releases a tennis ball, the dog catches the ball and races back over the hurdles. Then the next dog goes. Peaches jumps 8 inch hurdles. The jumping over the hurdles is really no different than agility, so again I am not very concerned about that. Nor am I concerned about her hitting the box and catching the ball.

My biggest concern is she will get run over by another dog. I expressed this concern with our instructor the very first day of class. Basically you need to be aware of what your dog is doing and know who she can run with. There are dogs that will consciously move out of the way and others that only see the ball and will do anything to get to it. On the way down, Peaches is one of the dogs that only sees the ball. She will plow over (or under :) ) another dog to get to her ball. However, on the way back with the ball she will move out of the way of another dog.

We have been in class for about 6 months now, and thankfully have had no problems. However, like I said, I think about who she is running with. There are a few dogs that I absolutely won't run Peaches with or I simply won't release her until the owner has their dog under control. Once we are on a team, we will work as a team and figure out where it is best for Peaches to safely run.

She is in absolute heaven when we are at class. She LOVES tennis balls and running, so what better sport for her! If anyone is interested in seeing her practice, here is a video I posted awhile back: The Flying Sausage (http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?userid=5853&cdate=20060311&ctime=142142)

So basically, there are risks in a lot of things...that's life. I think as long as your dog is healthy and you are aware of what you and your dog are doing, participating in dog sports are a great experience for both you and your dog. :twocents:

catstamm
04-30-2006, 12:48 AM
Interesting...thank you everyone for all the great info....the flying sausage video is GRRREat!!! One thing is for sure and overwieght doxie is more pron to back problems than a physically fit doxie....thank you thank you !

catstamm
05-01-2006, 12:14 AM
Amy
Carlee was a mill dog and never socialized, she has an extremely fearful, submissive behavior and although see adores me and follows me everywhere she is still a dogs dog (does that make sense?) She looks to my other dogs to help her with what she should do because she is uncertain and likes to have me and or the other dogs in her view at all times. She is such a gourgeous doxie and I want to help build her confidence...she is 2.5 yrs old very long slender and athletic (she looks like a greyhound when she runs) I have heard training can be quite a confidence builder? Do you think Agility or something would be good for her?
What I need to know is the time involved with doing agility training....I work 55 hrs a week and do rescue most of my other waking hrs? I don't want to get highly competitive just help her with confidence....
What are your thoughts? Or anyones for that matter?
Thanks
Cat

Tanya
05-01-2006, 12:23 AM
If you haven't done an obedience class with her yet, I recommend that before starting agility classes. It will make agility a lot easier if she already knows basic commands and will do them reliably with other dogs and humans around. Peaches was in obedience for a year before we started agility, and I think it was worthwhile. You definitely don't have to wait that long, but I would recommend at least a class or two.

catstamm
05-01-2006, 01:22 AM
Thanks Tanya...I'll look into that ...she is such a wonderful sweet girl I know she will blossom....Damn a doxie that knows commands and listens! What a concept :rotfl: :rotfl: I'm the listener in this house:rotfl: :rotfl:

areese
05-01-2006, 07:27 AM
hey Cat,
I think agility training can be a HUGE confidence builder...I have seen SUCH a posititve change in Owen since he started agility., He's a rescue also and was timid and just fearful of anything new. Not terribly so. He also wasn't very active...he (most prob cuz of his nervousness) sat on the couch most of the day. Laika takes her share of naps but she was a lot more active and busy than Owen. Since he started agility, it's like he's found his "physical self" and his confidence and has just blossomed! He comes home from class or practice just all full of himself. He gets toys out and runs (he was afraid of toys) and pokes Laika and tries to get her to chase him cuz he just feels so good.
I wouldn't necessarily do obedience first but you do need a failry solid recall. I did obedience with Laika but not Owen. Agility is about movement and fun...I wanted to do something fun with Owen and get him running, get him playful.... He was very bonded to me though (happened very quickly) but I think it makes him feel very special to go to classes with me without Laika!
If you just go for fun without planning on competing you'd just have your class once a week prob....I practice a lot but I ahve the time. Our school has a really cool class to take before beginning agility called foundation and focus. Just geared toward getting the dog paying attention to you and motivated to learn...getting their brains working in that direction...a little clicker training...it's fun games and stuff. Owen took that first.
That's when I realized he's a genius LOL