PDA

View Full Version : Weird Bailey

Linus
04-29-2006, 11:02 AM
Last night a friend of mine and I decided to get domestic and actually cook a real dinner; meatloaf, green beans, and mashed potatoes. Bailey is normally right under foot when I'm in the kitchen, but right from the start he was acting funny. It's easier to make a list of the happenings:

1. Jenny's crate is in the kitchen, and he was inside it all hunkered in the corner...he HATES crates.

2. He was shivering like crazy and it certainly wasn't cold, so I thought maybe he needed to go outside. We went and he did #2, but went straight back to the crate.

3. I fed them because it was getting late and he ate just fine, but then walked around the house "leaking" little drops of tinkle and pooping in random places. He never does that either! I would find him hiding in the smallest possible places.

4. When I checked on the leatloaf I dripped some of the grease and so the oven started smoking like crazy. The smoke detectors both went off at varying times until I could get the place aired out enough. This has happened before, and it didnt freak him out, he just barked at it.

5. After the smoke and the fire alarms he WOULD NOT stop shaking. I had him on the couch under a blanket shivering. No matter what I did he wouldn't stop.

6. I opened my room door later and he ran in and hid somewhere...I couldn't find him and didn't come out until Alissa left and I was getting ready for bed.

He's seen smoke before...I have no idea what could have freaked him out this much. :scratch:

Tex
04-29-2006, 11:18 AM
Interesting, maybe he's just not a big meatloaf fan? Hope is feeling better now & back to his happy normal self.

LUVMYGUNNER
04-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Hope he is feeling better.

Jacqueline
04-29-2006, 12:18 PM
Was there something different about your friend? Had he/she been somewhere around another animal? Wearing new clothes or shoe....cologne? Started smoking? Stepped in something outside?

Jen
05-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Did you ever figure out what made Bailey act so weird??

Linus
05-19-2006, 01:22 PM
Nope. Sure didn't. He still gets nervous and shivery when I use the oven, and it doesn't smoke anymore. Poor guy is traumatized for life I think. I don't act any differently towards him when the oven is on...I certainly don't baby him about it...but it hasn't really helped. He's been with me his whole life so there isn't a bad past with ovens or anything. I dont know, maybe someday he'll realize things aren't so bad.

Jen
05-19-2006, 01:38 PM
Something we just don't smell?

We'd been dealing with thunderstorms here for two days now and just go about our normal business which Tasha majorly pants, long tongue hanging out, so scared. Ignoring his stress and not babying him is about all you can do.

Da Brat
05-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Is there a possibility that he could be under the weather?? I know that any behavioral changes in cats warrants a visit to the vet, but I can't say that for dogs... But I think it would be better safe than sorry if money is available for a trip.
:pray: and :bigrayz: that he feels better and gets back to his normal self soon!!

Alex's Mom
05-20-2006, 07:27 AM
My guess is that it was the smoke detector. Alex was always underfoot when I cooked, until I had a similar experience and the smoke detector went off. From that time on (and that was about 6 years ago), as soon as the oven goes on and starts heating up, she's in bed, hiding under the covers. She usually won't even come out when I've started eating...a unique and pleasant dining experience for her mom :rotfl: I think that that horrible noise the smoke detector makes must REALLY hurt her ears! :sosad:

K2
05-20-2006, 08:22 AM
Is your stove a gas stove? Maybe the smell is to much for him???