PDA

View Full Version : Cat Litter Dangerous To Dogs

Gay Larsen
05-05-2006, 12:06 AM
Subject: New cat litter potentially dangerous for dogs
This came from a different site I'm on:
Hi All--

We have therapy dogs who come in to the school for disabled kids where I work. Today Teddy, a yellow Lab, came in with *both* forelegs shaved, & knew something was up. Regular blood work would only have one leg
shaved. Asked his mom, & she told me this story. She has cats also, & bought a new litter called "World's Best Cat Litter", which she got @ Petsmart. It's made from corn; no dust, no odor, yadda, yadda. I have not seen it, but it seemed similar to Feline Pine, from her description.

The difference is, no dog would eat Feline Pine, but Teddy found this
corn-based product quite tasty & it darn near killed him. Apparently he at enough of it (unbeknownst to his Mom) to cause lethargy *several days
after the initial ingestion* & a visit to the vet where he went on a
downhill slide very quickly.

Mom said Teddy was in very great pain & she had never seen him in such a state before. Apparently, I/V fluids & supportive care helped to pass the mass of corn grits that was discovered clogging his intestines on X-ray. He was in doggie hospital for three days.

Permission to cross post --don't let this happen to your dog.:sosad:

I thought you girls might be interested in this, as someone on the other Board just went thru horrendous issues that sounded almost just like this & when the dog finally passed some of it, his colon, etc. was full of sand. IF you have a litterbox with ANY kind of filler in it, I suggest possibly putting it up some-where where your dog can't reach it. GAY

Patt
05-05-2006, 02:13 AM
Thanks for the info., all our litter boxes are out of reach.

Lisa
05-05-2006, 07:47 AM
Thanks Gay! That is great information.