View Full Version : Raw Feeding and Bile Barfies

Auggie's Mom
05-05-2006, 05:10 PM
Auggie is now on day 7 of the raw diet. So far I've only given him chicken thighs. He seems to love them, and devours each one in less than five minutes. For the last two mornings, I've woken up to him throwing up (once right next to my pillow). Both times it was mostly bile, but I found a little bit of undigested bone each time. Is it possible that he's just not able to digest the raw bones? Or is he just eating too fast and not chewing enough? Should I cut up the bone into smaller pieces? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lisa
05-05-2006, 05:15 PM
I am sorry, I don't know, I used to get the bile barfies on kibble which is why I switched to Raw, and haven't had any since.

Maybe raw isn't right for Auggie? I would first try another protein source and then if you still get bile barfies you might want to go back to whatever he was eating before (assuming he had no tummy issues!)

Courtney
05-05-2006, 05:24 PM
This really isn't unusual when you first start feeding raw. Think of the barfing as a good thing, as his body working properly to get rid of something it cannot process. I would give him a cookie or two at bedtime and see if that helps for a couple weeks. And no don't cut up the bones - just keep doing what you are doing. Nothing is wrong! I promise!

Auggie's Mom
05-05-2006, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the reassurance, Courtney! I'd like to continue with the raw feeding, as he seems so much more energetic and he LUURRVVES it! He's never been one for biscuits (he won't eat dog treats unless they're meat based), but maybe I'll give him a few bits of kibble at bedtime for a little while. Thanks for the advice!

Now, if I could just get him to stop puking IN THE BED!!!:shocked:

Courtney
05-05-2006, 05:49 PM
Yeah, any sort of snack at bedtime will work. I went through the same thing with Napoleon for a week or two when we first switched. Nothing will wake you up faster than the sound of a dog gagging!!!!

catstamm
05-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Maybe I'm way off here or missed something :duh: If all you feed you dog is chicken thighs....where to they get the other nutrients they need for a balanced diet?:shocked:
It isn't regular chicken from the store is it? God only knows what they pump chickens full of ....or is it organic?

Courtney
05-05-2006, 06:08 PM
First of all, balanced diet is a phrase beaten into our minds by pet food companies. In the raw diet, you get the "balance" from a variety of meats and bone and from organ meat. Dogs are carnivores. Carnivores eat meat. Thus, carnivores can get complete nutrition from a diet of meat, bones and organs.

Second, it's not like Auggie will only be eating chicken thighs. It's recommended to start the raw diet with one protein source, usually chicken, then gradually introduce new things. My advanced raw feeders (haha) eat chicken, turkey, fish, beef, pork, lamb, goat, rabbit, duck...etc.

Third...yes it's "regular" chicken from the store. USDA regulations prevent the injection of hormones so the chicken is not "pumped' full of anything.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Chicken_Food_Safety_Focus/index.asp

Sometimes chickens will have a salt-water solution injected into it, which is usually not a problem for most dogs, or obviously people for that matter. It is a heck of a lot better than feeding what goes into most dog foods, for sure.