PDA

View Full Version : I learned something new...

Chris
05-06-2006, 09:04 AM
This is probably OLD NEWS for all the savvy and seasoned dachshund nutritionists out there.

But i learned something while caring for the mastiff.

Who knows what garbage or forest scraps she was eating before (aside from what the kind man who was feeding her as a stray left out for her when she came by his house). We fed her Nutro Ultra that the boys are on. After the first day or two she got leaner. Not rib showing lean, but we could really tell the difference. We were in a panic that we weren't feeding her enough (which is understandable when you have a small horse of indeterminate weight lol).

I was asked "does she have a waist?" and "is she using her food". (and are her ribs showing? nope they weren't). If she is going to the bathroom a lot (big piles), she is eating too much and/OR not using her food. If she is only going a reasonable amount, she is using it and you are feeding her right. If she doesn't go at all, or barely goes, she is not getting enough but is using what she gets.

Now, I am not saying base a dog's diet based on that, but they always say that the charts on dog food are "guidelines". And this is the way you see if you need to differ from it or not. (so like is say, old news to you guys).

The interesting thing i recall is that when Alex was on the first of many diets...when we got him, he was on proplan and after he was neutered, his metabolism slowed a bit (that was half the reason, and the other half i found was DH giving too many handouts!). Anyway, we went from proplan maintenance to reduced calorie. And despite cutting out some treats, he was going to the bathroom left and right and gaining! And it dawned on me now that it was all filler and not enough calories and stuff that he could actually use and was just going in and out. I knew that it was not enough for him as he acted like even a bigger little piggie when he was on it, but i was not fully on deck with all the rest.

Anyways, back to the mastiff. She probably lost the weight because she was hanging on to all the garbage as her body was storing it not knowing when her next meal would be, and also because she was getting a better food, there was more good stuff in it for her body to use versus just a bunch of filler that was sitting there.

oceangirls
05-06-2006, 09:15 AM
something that probably a lot of people have observed (like you did with Alex) but had not really thought about the reasons.

It is also true with humans :D when they switch from a fast-food diet to eating more healthfully.

Another thing that sometimes contributes to what seems like an opposite effect in the early stages is that it may take the stomach a few days to get used to a new food so you might see bigger (and maybe looser) stools, but then they get smaller.

lotsadox
05-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Thanks, Chris, that's good info! :banana:

Kim is right. I have noticed that the body (canine or human) will tend to "detox" when changing to a better diet. It seems to be purging itself of all the junk and elimination will increase for a while. I have no idea why this happens, it's just something that I've noticed does happen. :scratch:

Bella's Mom
05-08-2006, 02:02 PM
That was a little something to make me go hmmmm?? :scratch: You always wonder and then that makes perfect sense.

Tex
05-09-2006, 09:25 AM
Good post...I hadn't ever really thought about how much they poo in relation to their diet. Food for thought.....

Nancy
05-09-2006, 10:06 AM
learn something new everyday!!

Jacqueline
05-09-2006, 12:17 PM
I have seen some interesting things come out, that I am sure I didn't include in their diet. I do not feed my girls birdseed, but I have a bird (half naked Quaker named Skittles) who sees to it that they get their share of her birdseed) Nor have I offered them the snow from under the Christmas tree, but Daisy seems to feel that was part of the dachshund food pyramid. (I removed most of it this week, since it seems to be a real weakness for her)

It's true that you can pretty much tell what they ate and how it was or was not digested by paying attention to what you are picking up in the yard. The better food you give them, the more compact the results. And of course....all those interesting "additives" they choose for themselves :rotfl: :rotfl:

oceangirls
05-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Nor have I offered them the snow from under the Christmas tree, but Daisy seems to feel that was part of the dachshund food pyramid.

Am I missing something? Like about six or seven months? :christmas :snowfight :frostyh:

:scratch:

Da Brat
06-12-2006, 03:58 PM
This is probably OLD NEWS for all the savvy and seasoned dachshund nutritionists out there.

But i learned something while caring for the mastiff.

Who knows what garbage or forest scraps she was eating before (aside from what the kind man who was feeding her as a stray left out for her when she came by his house). We fed her Nutro Ultra that the boys are on. After the first day or two she got leaner. Not rib showing lean, but we could really tell the difference. We were in a panic that we weren't feeding her enough (which is understandable when you have a small horse of indeterminate weight lol).

I was asked "does she have a waist?" and "is she using her food". (and are her ribs showing? nope they weren't). If she is going to the bathroom a lot (big piles), she is eating too much and/OR not using her food. If she is only going a reasonable amount, she is using it and you are feeding her right. If she doesn't go at all, or barely goes, she is not getting enough but is using what she gets.

Now, I am not saying base a dog's diet based on that, but they always say that the charts on dog food are "guidelines". And this is the way you see if you need to differ from it or not. (so like is say, old news to you guys).

The interesting thing i recall is that when Alex was on the first of many diets...when we got him, he was on proplan and after he was neutered, his metabolism slowed a bit (that was half the reason, and the other half i found was DH giving too many handouts!). Anyway, we went from proplan maintenance to reduced calorie. And despite cutting out some treats, he was going to the bathroom left and right and gaining! And it dawned on me now that it was all filler and not enough calories and stuff that he could actually use and was just going in and out. I knew that it was not enough for him as he acted like even a bigger little piggie when he was on it, but i was not fully on deck with all the rest.

Anyways, back to the mastiff. She probably lost the weight because she was hanging on to all the garbage as her body was storing it not knowing when her next meal would be, and also because she was getting a better food, there was more good stuff in it for her body to use versus just a bunch of filler that was sitting there.

Reading through this I became I bit concerned... Ok, so i understand that if something is eaten that serves no nutritional value it just passes right through (ie. when people eat corn), but Nutro was mentioned as well... Are you saying that Nutro is full of fillers?!?! I was underthe impression that Nutro was one of the better foods because it didn't have all the fillers in it?? Am I mistaken or did I misread this??!? I'm concerned because I feed my cats Nutro Complete under the impression that it's one of the best kibbles on the market... :scratch:

Chris
06-13-2006, 02:07 PM
but Nutro was mentioned as well... Are you saying that Nutro is full of fillers?!?! I was underthe impression that Nutro was one of the better foods because it didn't have all the fillers in it??

I feed my boys Nutro Ulta. What was mentioned about Nutro is that it reduces their stool volume. Which is a good thing, because it shows that they are using more of their food. (and its a lot easier to cleanup than a yard full of diarrhea!)
We definitely saw a quick difference with the mastiff when we put her on it.

Da Brat
06-13-2006, 03:15 PM
:whew: Ok! That makes me feel much better!!