PDA

View Full Version : Nipping during nail trim

Helen
05-06-2006, 08:21 PM
I took Charlie to Petsmart today to get his nails trimmed. She said he was nipping at her so she had to muzzle him. My question is, should I be concerned? Do any of y'all have to muzzle your dogs when you trim their nails? (Or when you have someone else do it?)

I'm leaning toward thinking it was the way she was handling him. I didn't see or anything, but I know that the only person he's ever even gotten mouthy with is me. I'm sure he could tell that I was really nervous and hesitant when I tried to trim his nails (as tough as I tried to be!). Maybe this girl was new and just not very confident? Or maybe he was just having a bad day? He's always just turned away and let whoever trim the nails. It just seems surprising to me that after 2 years he would have to be muzzled all of a sudden.

Patt
05-06-2006, 08:29 PM
Trixie is muzzled every time. She does not like her nails done and has never bitten anyone but I do not want to take the chance. It only takes about 5 minues or so and all is done and everyone is happy. When you handle a lot of dogs it is good to be careful, you never know when one will bite. Possibly the lady didn't want to chance getting bit and really it doesn't hurt them to be muzzled.

Helen
05-06-2006, 08:35 PM
Trixie is muzzled every time. She does not like her nails done and has never bitten anyone but I do not want to take the chance. It only takes about 5 minues or so and all is done and everyone is happy. When you handle a lot of dogs it is good to be careful, you never know when one will bite. Possibly the lady didn't want to chance getting bit and really it doesn't hurt them to be muzzled.

Thanks Patt. That's a good point. I guess I shouldn't take it so personally! :)

catstamm
05-07-2006, 12:04 AM
Cami is 6 lbs and has to be muzzled....she acts like your cutting her leg off :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
I use a dremel tool to do the girls nails ....they all hate it ...Jen-Jen trys to bit it and I have to mussle her too....Carlee ....that's one I haven't mastered yet :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Otto'sMom
05-07-2006, 09:33 AM
Otto has to be muzzled and he acts like you're trying to kill him. He screams at the vet and they're not even touching his toes yet! Grrt is a good girl and Austin manages to keep his nails pretty worn down. Dolly is good and so is Buddy. Otto, the big strong king of all he sees, is a big wussy when it comes to nail trims.