PDA

View Full Version : More Fiber (hates canned pumpkin)

jessica967
05-08-2006, 08:28 AM
Riley needs a little more fiber in her diet. She is currently on Chicken Soup dry. Supplemented w/ some chicken soup wet or Natural Balance rolls. We tried her on several dry foods (Merrick & blue buffalo), but she didn't eat them. I want to add more fiber other than the apple she eats. Any suggestions (she hates pumpkin)?

Thanks!

Alex's Mom
05-08-2006, 08:34 AM
What about carrots? Alex :hearts: :hearts: those little mini carrots...I often use them as treats for her. Lots of fibre there!

oceangirls
05-08-2006, 12:24 PM
First I would ask why you think she needs more? Are her stools loose or too frequent? If so, you might just need to try a different food - there might be an ingredient in her food or treat regimen that is too rich for her stomach.

If you do want to add more vegetables, pumpkin is an easy one, but if she doesn't like it, you can try canned or frozen no-salt-added green beans, lettuce, zucchini, winter squash, carrots like Paula mentioned. Most fruits are okay but be cautious of the sugars and calories.

Fruits and vegetables that have been associated with toxicity or long-term problems in dogs include grapes/raisins, onions, potatoes, and tomatoes... so I would avoid those.

You can feed dogs grains (like your own cooked rice or oatmeal) and some experts advise giving a dog a diet that routinely includes these foods. But other experts say dogs should not eat them. You can also give a fiber supplement, but I would check with your vet first. You might just need to experiment with a different diet. :) I was feeding my girls Evo and was needing to add a high-fiber food because their stools were too loose. I finally figured it would be make more sense to just stop the Evo; it was just too rich for them!

I am sure others will have more suggestions... by the way, welcome to DLC!!

jessica967
05-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Her BMs have been looser since switching from puppy food to adult food. (We did it over about 3 months.) We first tried mixing Merrick in w/ her puppy food, but she would pick around it. Then we tried Blue Buffalo and no dice. Lastly we tried the Chicken Soup and she love it. We are now 100% on that and her poop is runnier.

Thanks for the advice so far!

Bella's Mom
05-08-2006, 02:04 PM
I chop up baby carrots for a treat for Bella and fresh green beans. She loves both and it helps keep everything running smooth.