PDA

View Full Version : I need help please

Frzframe
05-08-2006, 07:37 PM
Tonight is the second time in 4 days the while outside Dudley and Boomer have gotten into horrible fights. The first time I thought Dudley started it but now I'm not so sure. Here's what happened the first time. I was outside talking to a guy that was working in the church parking lot well Dudley is not friendly until he gets to know someone so he was doing his barking/growl routine. I usually tell him to be quiet but this time what I think happened was Dudley started going after Boomer. I had to grab Boomer by the tie out because he wouldn't let go of Dudley's ear/eye area. Dudley had a hold of Boomers leg. Dudley had cuts about his eye and on his ear.

But then tonight...

I was going to pick up Dudley because he wouldn't stop barking at the privacy fence and the mowing neighbor. Well I'm bending down to pick him up to bring him inside and in swoops Boomer going for Dudley's head again and Dudley goes for Booms legs. I had an awful time getting them apart and got bit in the process. This time I know it was totally Boomer but I want to know why he's doing this. Dud wasn't barking or anything at the time. In fact he knew he was in trouble and was laying on the ground.

What the hecks going on?

Linus
05-08-2006, 09:05 PM
I'm no expert....but it sounds to me like this may be an alpha battle. The only thing I can suggest is to establish yourself as the alpha as is spelled out in books like "The Dog Listener" and even in Cesar Milan's new book. Also, Boomer is a foster, correct? When I have fosters I always make sure Bailey is fed first, gets more attention, sleeps in the big bed...just to let him and the fosters know their place in the pack. They aren't neglected by any means, but they know that Bailey is special.

Lisa
05-08-2006, 09:32 PM
I wish I had advice for you. I like what Linsey suggested!!! When mine fight it is once and then not for months and months. Lots of rayz for your cut though. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Frzframe
05-08-2006, 09:34 PM
That's the thing I do all that and Dud is by no means the alpha.

I talked to my dad and told him what happened and he thought maybe Boomer was trying to protect me. :confused: I don't know but I do know it has to stop before someone gets really hurt including myself.

Patt
05-08-2006, 09:37 PM
When Gretel was alive, the same problem existed between her and Trixie. In that case Trixie was the aggressor. Just like your Dudley & Boomer, our Trixie and Gretel engaged in some terrible fights. It finally escalated to the point Trixie was actually trying to kill Gretel. In desperation we contacted a certified dog behaviorist. In our case [because Gretel had terminal cancer] she recommended we keep our two dogs apart. Since Dudley & Boomer appear to be on that same downward path and their fights are becoming more frequent and deadly, I highly recommend you do the same. I don’t think your situation is going to get any better until you have a professional intervene.

A professional behaviorist deals with the most serious behavioral problems like aggression, fears, anxiety or compulsions. So please seriously consider consulting one as soon as possible.

Chris
05-08-2006, 11:00 PM
I am just wondering aloud....especially since this seems to have really gotten intense in the past few days.

Since bringing the cute new gal into your home.. (or it could be a coincidence)

Do they think the pecking order is out of balance in their minds (or perhaps just one of them), and there is opportunity for a reshuffle (or they merely feel threatened that there will be) or just do not know what to do. Not that she is challenging them overtly, but just for the fact that there is another dog in the house that didn't come with a manual telling her she must sit still and be content to be last in line.

I am really not surprised that you say Dudley is not the alpha.

When other dogs come to our house for a period of time, they all seem to know Alex is the alpha. He doens't challenge anyone because he doesn't have to. He sits back like The Godfather and surveys his territory/subjects. They roll over to him. It is Ollie as sweet as he is, who is afraid someone will knock him out of being dog number two that is more likely to get riled up.

Tex
05-09-2006, 08:29 AM
Man that's a tough one. I'm not behavior expert.......but I am good at sending :pray: your direction. I like what everyone has said so far, and wish you the best of luck sorting this out. I know you love all your puppers very much and I can only imagine what it's like having them fight.

lotsadox
05-09-2006, 08:48 AM
I haven't had too many problems since the days of Bandit and Pebbles getting into fights (usually over a chewie or bone), but it does sound like you might need professional help with this since it seems to be getting more serious. Other than keeping them separated which is a pain, I don't know what you can do. I do know that when I bring a new foster in, it can upset everyone. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Frzframe
05-09-2006, 09:25 AM
Mitzi is the alpha in the house. Once in a while a foster will try to take her on but they never win. All she has to do is grumble at them and they back way off. Dudley on the other hand is aggressive when newbies come in. He thinks he has to show them he's the bed bad boy right off. I really think this is because of fear. He gets them before they can get him. It happens not only at the house but anywhere he meets new dogs. He did this both times he went to obedience classes. Usually he'll do that and then a hour later he's fine and wants to play.

Oh one other thing this only happens outside. Once they both are inside they are fine. I never let them out together unless I'm with them and when I'm not home everyone goes into their crates (well sometimes Mitzi and Dudley get sweet freedom but that's all).

Chris
05-09-2006, 10:33 AM
Mitzi sounds exactly like Alex. Doesn't mess with anyone, but the dogs know she can.

I don't know why Dudley is fixating on Boomer though....

Jacqueline
05-09-2006, 12:05 PM
I wish I had advise for you. My two have been rough-housing, and even tho they are playing, have scratched each other's throats up. I asked if they wanted to be the first doxies to be wearing spiked collars. The only way I can get them to calm down when they get too wound up is to crate them for about 10 minutes. But they are just playing with each other.

These two do pounce on each other, grab ears, legs, harnesses, tumble, etc. And then they kiss, get a drink, and start all over. Are your pups actually hurting each other?

If they can't get along, I would try keeping them apart when they aren't supervised. And even if they are playing....like these two...keep an eye on them when they rough-house....just so they don't hurt each other.

Frzframe
05-09-2006, 12:30 PM
These have been all out fights and if I hadn't gotten them apart when I did someone would've gotten really hurt (most likely Dudley). I used to leave them outside to hunt squirrels in the back yard but no anymore. I bring Dudley inside and let Boomer have more outside time since he doesn't mind the wet grass.

laura
05-09-2006, 01:42 PM
It has been my experience that whenever a new dog comes into the mix, especially one of the opposite sex, that the entire clan has to "re-order" itself.

I am suspecting that is what is happening with you if you recently brought in a new female. Very disturbing, I know!

I can recomend a very enlightning book. "Animals in Translation" Been on the New York Times Bestseller list for sometime. It is in paperback. It really blew my mind when I read it and it speaks to these type issues in a way that "ordinary dog experts" can't.

Laura

Frzframe
05-09-2006, 01:48 PM
Thanks Laura! I see if I can get one over-nighted to me. :)

Patt
05-09-2006, 02:24 PM
I also recommend Cesar's way of introducing new dogs to the pack. Hhe believes in long walks beforehand to "clear their mind" and focus their attention on you, their new leader. If at all possible try to see his program on NGC, it will give you a lot of insight to all types of behaviors and suggestions on what to do.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/dogwhisperer/index.html

Cesar Millan's new book "Cesar's Way" can be purchased at CostCo.

Frzframe
05-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Patt I agree but that doesn't work with Dudley. The bugger!! I've walked him in the heat of the day, got him good and tired then had my mom bring the foster to the park and he still went after them. But it usually is late at night when I get home with a new foster so there is NO way to go out walking the dogs. But this time it wasn't Dudley it was Boomer who was the aggressor. :( He is listed as going to a home where he can be an only child.

Patt
05-09-2006, 04:15 PM
This is really a tough one. :scratch: Perhaps a professional would be more helpful in handling this behavior so it does not escalate in both dogs. I guess at this time you had better keep them separate, I know this is could be difficult but it can be done w/x-pens.

Mama S.
05-09-2006, 10:17 PM
I've had zero expereince so can only send lots of positive :bigrayz: that things sort themselves out!
Mama

Bella's Mom
05-10-2006, 02:20 PM
I'm no expert....but it sounds to me like this may be an alpha battle. The only thing I can suggest is to establish yourself as the alpha as is spelled out in books like "The Dog Listener" and even in Cesar Milan's new book. Also, Boomer is a foster, correct? When I have fosters I always make sure Bailey is fed first, gets more attention, sleeps in the big bed...just to let him and the fosters know their place in the pack. They aren't neglected by any means, but they know that Bailey is special.
Great advice! I hope everything is settling down for you!