PDA

View Full Version : Good Things Coming Out of Katrina

lotsadox
05-09-2006, 07:17 PM
Check out this great article. There was a picture of Weezie on the cover. Read the article "No Friend Left Behind".

Katrina Evacuation to Change Legislation (http://www.aarp.org/bulletin/)

JanUet
05-09-2006, 07:26 PM
Reading the article and seeing all the pictures just made me cry!
Tears of Joy!
I would Never, ever leave my pets behind! NEVER!

Thanks for sharing the nesw article with us! :hug99:

Laurie' s Dachshunds
05-09-2006, 10:46 PM
Reading the article and seeing all the pictures just made me cry!
Tears of Joy!
I would Never, ever leave my pets behind! NEVER!

Thanks for sharing the nesw article with us! :hug99:

Same here!

lotsadox
05-09-2006, 10:49 PM
I know what you mean. I was sitting on my deck reading it, holding Cash and crying my eyes out. I kept telling him I'd never, ever leave him. It did make me proud to be from Texas when Rita came and they told the people in Galveston that they could take their pets on the bus with them. :banana:

Alex's Mom
05-10-2006, 07:47 AM
I have GOT to stop reading things like this at work!! *sniff* ITA...no way would my guys get left behind. Horses are a problem though, cuz it's a lot easier to travel with small animals that large ones!!

Tex
05-10-2006, 07:55 AM
Ok, I looked at the cover pic, but based on everyone's replies, I'm not reading the article until later (I'm at work right now). I can say that I would NEVER leave either of my angels behind. I love them too much to abandon them.

Patt
05-10-2006, 12:26 PM
I'm glad Weezer and his guardian had a happy ending. It is so sad to think how many pets lost their lives b/c of the rule "no pets allowed". Since I have large animals I would have to stay with my furkids.

lotsadox
05-10-2006, 01:38 PM
When Rita was supposed to hit here, we decided to stay and ride it out. I was scared to death, but with 6 dogs and the huge traffic jams we weren't going to be able to leave so we stayed. For me leaving the animals behind wasn't an option.

Chris
05-10-2006, 06:04 PM
God bless him for staying with his dachshund. :angel7:
And I think he really was rewarded by coming out of the ordeal safe.

What broke my heart the most was a woman on tv begging people that if they have cold hearts to leave their pets behind, at least unchain them, so they have at least a chance to save themselves. Some people were so tied up in that the pet is their property and didn't want anyone to steal them, that so many dogs that were physically capable of swimming or heading for higher ground died in their backyards, chained to posts.

It has caused a rift between my mother and I on the subject. She tells me that "i just don't know what people go through." Well, I am sorry but there is a seat already warmed up in hell for anyone who does that to another living creature, dog or no. If it was a child they did that too, they would lock them away and throw away the key.

Sorry if i am so passionate about it, but if the same thing was coming to where I lived and I knew it or after it hit and I needed to go, I would do without the luxury of a hotel and live out of a car for months or even just walk as far as I could north rather than risk the chance of one of my little ones being harmed or killed.

lotsadox
05-10-2006, 10:37 PM
I agree Chris. My husband and I talked about it. We decided that if they made us leave he would take his truck and I would drive my 66 Mustang because it has more room than the vette and we would just fill them up with the dogs and their stuff and start out. The idea of leaving them was never brought up. It was not an option. I don't understand how people can do it. :confused:

Otto'sMom
05-10-2006, 11:11 PM
I think alot of people were in denial. They just expected to be gone 2 days and come back to a few damaged windows. Even when they saw how bad the storm was, people just think nothing bad will happen to them. It's always 'other people'.
I'd never leave any of my anipals behind either. I drive an SUV specifically so I will have space for all the critters if forced to evacuate by my own means.

catstamm
05-10-2006, 11:24 PM
Ditto...If my girls couldn't come with me I'd stay.....

lizzieb38
05-11-2006, 12:07 AM
:sosad: Have any of you watched the program on animal planet about Katrina? It is 2 hours long, and I cried almost the whole time. Several people were finally reunited with their pets. One man, stayed on his roof with his standard poodle til they rescued him. He, ended up in Atlanta, and thought his precious dog was dead. Eventually, a gal found his dog and they were reunited. Another, man got to finally find his, "WEENIE" (what do you suppose he was?) They all cried with joy, but so many others are still in dispair.:sosad: :sosad: :sosad:

Jacqueline
05-11-2006, 02:08 AM
Dh and I are planning to go out and pick up a couple more of the ferret cages like Caesar, my Senegal, uses for his "bachelor pad" and traveling cage. After Wilma last year, we know we might have to head for the hills. It's not realistic to think we will get 2 doxies and four bird cages in the car.....and we aren't leaving anyone behind if we go.

Everyone down here knows we are supposed to be putting in hurricane supplies now...well...if it happens tomorrow, the pets are in good shape....show who counts around here. I wonder if they will share the kibble and seed?

Tex
05-11-2006, 08:10 AM
My parents live in Houston, and before Katrina they considered driving up to Austin (safer than staying there) because they could stay with me. My mom was like "can we bring the dogs??" I told her she wasn't welcome if she DIDN'T bring them. They ended up staying due to the traffic. I would never go anywhere without my puppers!

lotsadox
05-11-2006, 09:16 AM
Everyone down here knows we are supposed to be putting in hurricane supplies now...well...if it happens tomorrow, the pets are in good shape....show who counts around here. I wonder if they will share the kibble and seed?

Thanks for the reminder Jacqueline. I bought an extra travel crate last year so that we could crate everyone, but could use another one. I always start saving empty milk bottles this time of year. I keep them in a closet and that way if it looks like a hurricane is coming I have a lot of stuff to fill with water. I still have the first aid kit that I put together last year and I try to keep extra kibble around just in case. You can see who counts here! :hula1: :hula1: The DH is like "What about us?" and I said "Oh, we'll find something to eat! " :rotfl: :rotfl:

Jen
05-19-2006, 01:15 PM
My Stepmom sent me her copy of the article, such a good story! DH and I have several evac plans and they ALL include Tasha. I'm not going anywhere without her. Even if I have to jump in the East River and SWIM over to Brooklyn.

AnnMarieK
05-19-2006, 09:22 PM
I lived through this whole Katrina experience, there is absolutely no way for anyone to understand... I've seen pictures and such before and been so sympathetic of other disasters, but now I know unless you see it first hand you really have no idea. There were over 800 animals housed in Slidell after Katrina by a wonderful rescue named Noah's Wish. They literally stayed here for months caring for abandoned animals. The volunteers were from all over the country. I feel very sorry for the poor and elderly who chose to stay and many of whom perished to be with their pets, but I also feel this was a tremendous wake up call for everyone. If you have pets you have to have an evacuation plan that includes them. I know if may not be easy or convenient. I fled with my car stacked with crates...it was not fun, but we all survived. We stayed for 2 weeks with my son & his wife..there were 9 dogs and 2 cats and believe me they were VERY HAPPY when we could go home :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: We really can't depend on anyone else to take care of our pets we need to be ready...they depend on us.