PDA

View Full Version : Owen ate BUTTER

areese
05-10-2006, 03:30 PM
I came home from shopping and stuck the bags in the kitchen, then went out to quickly plant some plants I got last night at our Art Association plant exchange. Cuz it was starting to rain...it's been really dry and I thought it would be a perfect time to get the plants in the ground and not have to water them....
Laika went out with me, Owen's afraid of rain.
Long story short, he ate a bit more than half a stick of butter (and wrapper). I had to go buy peroxide which took prob. 20 minutes but it looked like he threw up a LOT of butter (and wrapper) after I got some peroxide down him. Really a lot of butter. Plus the cheese he had for treats cuz we practiced some agility earlier too. And some dog food from this morning. I really think the majority of the butter came up....I hope he'll be ok. I'm afraid of pancreatitis from all the fat...

Lisa
05-10-2006, 04:32 PM
Good quick thinking! I am sure since you saw cheese and part of his morning breakfast he will be fine.

If he exhibits any signs like he is restless or seems weak, irritable, have diarrhea or refuses to eat, you might want to bring him in.

Lots of rayz little handsome guy :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Anatresia
05-10-2006, 04:39 PM
:bigrayz::bigrayz: :bigrayz: I hope Owen feels better soon!

Mr. Butters said to tell everyone not to worry- he wasn't the butter Owen ate!:rotfl:

areese
05-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Good quick thinking! I am sure since you saw cheese and part of his morning breakfast he will be fine.

If he exhibits any signs like he is restless or seems weak, irritable, have diarrhea or refuses to eat, you might want to bring him in.

Lots of rayz little handsome guy :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

I'll be watching him closely!

Courtney
05-10-2006, 04:56 PM
I don't think butter will hurt him other than act as a laxative! But if he threw it up I am sure he'll be ok. just keep an eye on him. :)

Lisa
05-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Mr. Butters said to tell everyone not to worry- he wasn't the butter Owen ate!:rotfl:
Glad to hear Mr. B is okay too!!

quavec
05-10-2006, 05:08 PM
HOpe it all comes out and he is okay. Let us know. I'd think that with how fast you acted, he should be fine. :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Good job Mom! :appl:

Patt
05-10-2006, 06:21 PM
You did everything right and emptied his tummy. I think he will be fine but as Courtney stated he may have diarrhea. I know you will be watching his every more. :)

Sending feel better tummy :bigrayz: :bigrayz: to Owen.

areese
05-10-2006, 06:26 PM
He was so hungry-he's got a 5:30 timer set in his little belly. So I made him some rice with some chicken in it which he gobbled, made him wait a half hour then gave him some more. He seems fine. He pooped a fairly normal poop, too. I am so hoping I got the butter out fast enough so he won't be sick.

Patt
05-10-2006, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the update, glad the little man is back to normal. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Mama S.
05-10-2006, 07:16 PM
DId he get some Reddenbachers with that butter?:rotfl: SO glad he is doing ok! Will continue to watch for updates!!
Mama

Otto'sMom
05-10-2006, 11:12 PM
That's what I was going to suggest! Next time, wait till it's ON the popcorn.

oceangirls
05-11-2006, 12:02 AM
I think he will be fine... even if you hadn't induced vomiting. I knew a girl in college whose dog ate like a quart of frying oil with no lasting effects (just some diarrhea). Of course, they fed this dog a lot of misc. table scraps, so it had an iron stomach anyway :rolleyes:. I sure hope he enjoyed his little snack - at least it is free of trans-fats :lol:

lizzieb38
05-11-2006, 12:11 AM
Glad he's better! Did you give him peroxide or pepto? Pepto Bismol is actually safe for dogs.

Lisa
05-11-2006, 07:30 AM
I think Amy gave him peroxide to induce vomitting to get everything out of Owens tummy. With Pepto the butter still would have went through his system and could have led to pancreatitis.

Tex
05-11-2006, 07:41 AM
That's scary. Good quick thinking Amy!! Glad to hear that Owen is feeling better!

areese
05-11-2006, 08:10 AM
Thanks for all the thoughts. He seems just fine...just ate (inhaled) breakfast. He did wake me up to go outside about 5 am..no wait, that was Laika. They wouldn't stay out long enough to go last night cuz it was pouring.
But so far so good with Owen's tummy :-) I don't know how long it would take him to show symptoms if he was gonna have problems though...

Bella's Mom
05-11-2006, 01:14 PM
This is why I love the DLC! I never knew to give Bella peroxide if she ingested something like butter! Love this site!! I learn so much...

Jacqueline
05-11-2006, 06:06 PM
How much peroxide do you give a dog - safely - to make them throw up? Daisy is obsessed with stuffing. I found more today in the livingroom. I don't think she ate any, and there wasn't any of the fuzzy batting in there....but really!! I know it can't be tasty.

And it's not like I am not feeding them, toys and bones everywhere.....yikes!!

areese
05-11-2006, 07:11 PM
How much peroxide do you give a dog - safely - to make them throw up? Daisy is obsessed with stuffing. I found more today in the livingroom. I don't think she ate any, and there wasn't any of the fuzzy batting in there....but really!! I know it can't be tasty.

And it's not like I am not feeding them, toys and bones everywhere.....yikes!!

I used about a tablespoon at a time. He ended up with three doses though before he puked. I poured it down and waiting like 4-5 minutes, then tried more. It sure worked!!
He's doing great today. I ran him on the agility course after Laika's class today and he was just wonderful and energetic so I think everything is just fine :)