PDA

View Full Version : vaccination questions sorry,,

Michelle
05-11-2006, 11:54 AM
I know that this has been posted previously, probably many times, I know I should have copied it, but if someone could point me back into the right direction where it was listed I would be happy..

Heidi and Princess are now coming up to the time when they need to be getting their Rabies vaccination again, last year they had it in July, so it will be expiring..

I wanted to know what vaccinations I should get them this time.. I am very hesitant to vaccinate them for things that they have no chance of catching, like Leptospirosis,,, but since they now go to the dog park, I am a bit concerned about Parvo and Distemper..

I know that some people only vaccinate just for rabies and nothing else,,

but I want to start researching this whole vaccination thing thoroughly now that the time has come for me to make that decision as to whether or not to vaccinate them for certain things..

I think it was Patt,, that posted something very very detailed about over vaccinating pets, and what really is recommended,,,

And, how does this whole 3 year rabies vaccination work,, I don't understand it at all,, Heidi and Princess are 1yr old now and had their first Rabies vaccination last year, their Rabies tag expires in July. Could I now ask for a three year rabies vaccination and then they are good for 3yrs legally speaking,,,

I remember reading here I think that the Rabies vaccination does not protect them from getting Rabies, so what is it for then,, protecting them from transferring it to humans if they bite a human???, I am confused by this..

I just don't want to give them unecessary vaccinations...

LUVMYGUNNER
05-11-2006, 12:04 PM
Gunner and Petunia get what is required by the state and county-rabies. they get distember, parvo. My doc does not give Lepto anymore. I also give them bordetella--because I take them to the groomers.

Lisa
05-11-2006, 12:18 PM
For the rabies it 100% depends on the area you live in. We are in a 1 year rabies shot zone, although my vet is on a committee to try and get the officials to change it to every three years.

The rest, I discuss each case with my vet, why he would or would not recommend them. Mine do not get the Lepto shot.

lotsadox
05-11-2006, 01:10 PM
I only vaccinate for rabies and only once every 3 years. However, I go to a holistic vet which means that a lot of work we do with my dogs is preventative in nature. Their immune systems are kept in top form which means that they are much more able to handle infection than many animals. There are a lot of risks involved in vaccination. A lot of which is just now coming to light. It's mostly a matter of your personal philosophy concerning vaccination and the recommendation of a vet that you trust. I know this is something of a "non answer", but sometimes you have to go with your instincts.

Bella's Mom
05-11-2006, 01:12 PM
For the rabies it 100% depends on the area you live in. We are in a 1 year rabies shot zone, although my vet is on a committee to try and get the officials to change it to every three years.

The rest, I discuss each case with my vet, why he would or would not recommend them. Mine do not get the Lepto shot.
I agree with Lisa. Talkto your vet. Bella had a bad reaction to the Lepto last year and will not get it again. :shocked: