PDA

View Full Version : Do I have a Fever? The Fostering Bug Strikes

Chris
05-11-2006, 01:11 PM
I guess the 150 lb dog wasn't enough.

Somehow the "foster home vibe" went out on the airwaves and we were approached to foster 30 lbs of tail wagging fun. (from the rescue where we got Ollie).

This is Xena:
http://wwww.petfinder.com/fotos/FL592/FL592.6093344-1-x.jpg

She is thought to be Aussie and Spaniel X and as I understand it, is quite the tail wagger.

Unfortunately, we have to make sure that fun keeps a lid on itself. She is heartworm positive and will be starting treatment next week. As soon as she gets her first treatment, she is coming home with us complete with crate. I don't know how we are considered a "quiet home enviornment". No kids that is for sure, but we have an Ollie living here. Alex will be fine, but I don't know *HOW* Ollie is going to deal with knowing there is another dog in the house as friendly as this and not be able to be glued to its side. We can probably keep her crate in my office, but am not sure how we are going to keep Ollie from going bananas.

We DID keep a raccoon in the house for a night with out the boys managing to know. They knew "something was up" though. (we kept it in a carrier in the guest room - very sad wildlife rescue story). But there is just no way they are going to fall for it with another dog.

So...who else have fostered a heartworn pos dog and can give me some reassurance that I am not sick in the head and this will all work out? We are pretty much her only shot at the quick (30 day) treatment versus the 2 years on preventative treatment because everyone else's home is too full of active fosters to help her through it.

Lisa
05-11-2006, 01:57 PM
Way to Go Chris!! That is so great that you are helping out this sweetie pie! Lots of rayz for the heartworm treatment :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: Please keep us update on the progress.

She is really gorgeous.

Courtney
05-11-2006, 01:58 PM
We get HW+ dogs in all the time unfortunately and most make it through with no issues. They might get really bored in the crate, but as long as you can keep the dog quiet, maybe on a leash, they don't have to be crated ALL the time. good luck!! She is really cute!

catstamm
05-11-2006, 02:47 PM
Awwww what a great picture....is her tongue bluish purple or is that just the picture.....if it is she must have chow in her.....Good Luck with the heartworm treatment....this is one thing I am no help with

Chris
05-11-2006, 03:28 PM
I made the grave mistake of calling my mother for advice. She is a rainy day in seattle. She fostered hw+ dogs before and "warned me" if you don't keep her basically immobile she could have a heart attack or her heart could explode. Why did I even bother if she only gets me worked up or upset instead of trying to look at the positive that its more than likely no harm will come to this dog.

I think the blue tongue is just the lighting, but I don't know for sure because I have not met her yet. I 'll let you know next week.

One of the volunteers at the rescue just couldn't leave her at animal control. She is the type where her whole butt wiggles when she wags her tail and is just very sweet.

I just worry about Ollie barking his head off because she won't play and then her getting worked up about it in her crate. That's my only fear, and maybe a strange one that I have to get over.

catstamm
05-12-2006, 02:06 AM
You will do just fine....remember calm and assertive :rotfl: :rotfl: I have one of those body/tail wigglers....it's the best. Don't worry....

Nancy
05-12-2006, 08:53 AM
She is adorable!!!!

Courtney
05-12-2006, 12:06 PM
No, their heart is not going to explode. The biggest risk is an embolism - as the worms die, if the dog is active, they can break off and get into the bloodstream. That is the reason for keeping the dog quiet. :)

Tex
05-12-2006, 12:36 PM
She's precious. Big :bigrayz: and healing :pray: s on her HW treatment.

Chris
05-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Change of plans.

Xena comes June 2nd. her vet will be away until then , and they don't want her going into the treatment when he can't be reached or on call.

It will work out better because we will have her 3 days before she gets the shot...so Ollie can get the "new doggie in the house crazies" out of his system and she'll be "old news" so he'll let her rest.

Oh, and I know she wouldn't explode. My mother just drinks from the half empty glass all the time.

Chris

Da Brat
05-15-2006, 10:28 AM
Oh she's absolutely adorable!! So sad about the heartworms though!! I'm sure everything will work out just fine and she'll be giving Ollie a hard time in no time...

Jen
05-15-2006, 12:21 PM
Zena is gorgeous! Staying calm during the HW treatment :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: coming in advance!