PDA

View Full Version : Belly band, fashion statement or not???

Tex
05-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Ok, I'm in the process of making Jax some belly bands so he doesn't ruin our new apartment. He's a marker and you know how that can be......anyway, so far I have some sage green fleece that I got on sale........I'm wondering what other patterns or colors I should do for him. I want him to be stylin' while he's dryin'. Actually at this point I'll be happy if he keeps them on!! Suggestions??? I'll post pics of what I've made when they're finished.

Lisa
05-18-2006, 09:54 AM
Whatever color you choose will be great, just as long as we get PICTURES!!

Has Jax been neutered? Or has he always been a marker?

Tex
05-18-2006, 09:57 AM
No, Jax is our unaltered baby...but that won't last long. That's where our money is going as soon as we finish paying out the new pet deposit!!! We fingure since he's almost 5 years old (b-day in Aug.) he's still going to mark after we have him neutered....but hopefully not as much!!!
P.S.-MUST remember to buy new batteries for digital camera!

katierose ballerina toes
05-18-2006, 10:36 AM
:hug99: we awe big suckers for tartan plaid,caflic school gween and blue,and da twend dis sommer madwis and seersucker!:hug99: kiki

Frzframe
05-18-2006, 10:38 AM
I found that if I use a soft material that the underside needs to be stiffer to hold the bands shape better. I also went ahead and ordered some to see how they did the boomerang ones because they fit the dachshund shape and mine tended to need to be pulled up to cover what they need to cover. I got some frog ones, some fish and some geckos. They are super cute.

LUVMYGUNNER
05-18-2006, 11:00 AM
How about some red and blue ones--nice manly color.

Patt
05-18-2006, 11:06 AM
I'll bet you can really find some cute material for that. We adopted a unaltered senior who marked everywhere... ugh, that's why I never had a male. When he was neutered he never marked again.:appl: So there is hope! :crossfin:

areese
05-18-2006, 11:06 AM
This a little bit off-topic but...
I was listening to some friends complain about how their fluffy male dogs pee on themselves, discoloring the hair on their belly and also it's kinda gross.
They both show them in breed. (not doxies-it's a papillon and cavalier). So I was thinking...would it work to make a belly band but make a hole in it for their peenies but the hair would be held back and not get peed on??? They aren't supposed to trim their belly hair cuz of showing them...
I have no experience with the bands at all so I was wondering if it would work. Just for show days after the bathing and grooming...

LUVMYGUNNER
05-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Can't help you on that one.

lotsadox
05-18-2006, 11:25 AM
How about flames? :banana: :banana: There are some wonderful fabrics out there with flames on them like on the old hot rods. The DH even likes those! :rotfl: :rotfl:

quavec
05-18-2006, 11:27 AM
I've been really thinking about the belly band thing myself. Purchasing them tho - i've no skill w/needle and thread. BUT, if I WERE to sew my own, I'd head to the local thrift and check out the shirts and stuff there. Lots of neat fabric shirts that you could cut up for belly bands, right?

Yolanda
05-18-2006, 11:58 AM
Am I the only odd ball here?

I use a regular baby diaper that has the "elastic" legs and put them around the tummy secured with duck tape. Then if I want to I can cover the diaper with a pretty cover.

Mama S.
05-18-2006, 02:47 PM
I'm ordering this (http://cgi.ebay.com/Make-a-Belly-Band-for-Your-Dog-X486_W0QQitemZ7766852250QQcategoryZ116373QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem) Hopefully, it will tell me what I need to know to make my own!
Mama

areese
05-18-2006, 03:10 PM
How about flames? :banana: :banana: There are some wonderful fabrics out there with flames on them like on the old hot rods. The DH even likes those! :rotfl: :rotfl:

You make your DH wear a belly band????????????? :rotfl: :rotfl:

Frzframe
05-18-2006, 03:50 PM
http://www.hometown.aol.com/trinketpaps/index.html

Then I came across this:

1.LOOSELYwrap a tape measure around your dogs midsection. DO NOT pull the tape snug similar to measuring a persons waist.
2. If your dog has a small waist and a large deep rib cage move the measuring tape forward approximately 4 inches, next to the ribs, and confirm that the size you have measured prior will still fit. If not, increase the measurement to allow for increased rib area.
3. If you plan on using a sanitary pad with your dogs bellyband add + 1 inch to your measurement.

Don't forget to allow enough for seems and add 2" on each side for the velcro.

Hope it helps. :)

lotsadox
05-18-2006, 05:25 PM
You make your DH wear a belly band????????????? :rotfl: :rotfl:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: That's a thought! :scratch: Actually he's one of the better men I've known about his aim! :rotfl: :rotfl: He does like flames though! :banana: :banana:

Patt
05-18-2006, 06:32 PM
I'd head to the local thrift and check out the shirts and stuff there. Lots of neat fabric shirts that you could cut up for belly bands, right?
I would never think of that, what great idea! :appl:

areese
05-18-2006, 07:25 PM
You can get remnants of material at Walmart and Joanne Fabric and Hobby Lobby and other fabric stores, too. I got that flame material in a pack of fat quarters-4 different colors of flames-that were on sale at walmart.

LUVMYGUNNER
05-18-2006, 10:01 PM
I got the flame material for Gunner and Petunias harnesses at Walmart. I always get a lot of their remnants.

alfina
05-18-2006, 10:46 PM
Amy, I'd read that using oil for males in the area helps to save the coat.

Nancy
05-19-2006, 08:29 AM
No matter what color/pattern you choose, please post pix!!

JanUet
05-20-2006, 09:40 AM
No advice here! :sorry:
But whatever coloUr you decide to make for him....He will look Handsome! :hearts:

If you plan on making any belly bands for Hoomans --- I like the ColoUr Purple!:rotfl:

catstamm
05-20-2006, 10:36 AM
Poor male dogs get such a bad rap....I've seen nasty girl puppers tooo. Our rescue is full of males because the average person assumes they mark, hump, smell private areas etc. Each and every pupper is different .
I've had a male that NEVER marked and squatted to pee! I've seen markers stop marking after they were neutered and some that never stopped. I've also known a person that adopted two marking males and training them to stop with a water bottle.....I've never used a belly band and of course it keeps them from marking in the house but, it doesn't train them to stop marking . I hope Jax will be a well mannered sweetheart when he is neutured...use the belly band and try the water bottle trick....hope it works
"Flames" would be my choice too

LUVMYGUNNER
05-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Petunia is my first female I have had all males before and never had a problem with them. None were ever neuterd-didn't know any better.

Pokeys Mom
07-06-2007, 02:29 PM
Am I the only odd ball here?

I use a regular baby diaper that has the "elastic" legs and put them around the tummy secured with duck tape. Then if I want to I can cover the diaper with a pretty cover.

:bow2: Oh Dear Dog- THANK YOU!!! :bow2:

How simple and straightforward! I just ordered a few leopard print belly band / diapers (*shhh!*) for Brave Sir Pokey. There was an online suggestion to add a ladies' liner or a ladies' incontence pad to catch everything and elimate odors. Baby diapers? :duh: BRILLIANT!! Thank you again!!

(He's officially 15 years old now and is on a very helpful diuretic... which means he can hold it for 2 hours or so.)

Rae
07-06-2007, 02:59 PM
yowza- Pokey in Leopard Print...

glad to hear the diuretic is helping, and :bighug: to Brave Sir Pokey from his Kentucky sweetie.

Pokeys Mom
07-07-2007, 05:24 PM
yowza- Pokey in Leopard Print...

I was trying to find something dignified like a chic LA black, but after seeing pastels and puppy age prints leopard seemed the way to go. :rolleyes:

Now I'll have more time to research options. The diuretic is amazing!! Just making adjustments with his dosage (per vet) is a little tough on him (and the carpets!)

Hugs back to you and HRH Duchie! :hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

LUVMYGUNNER
07-09-2007, 06:59 PM
Any pictures yet?

Pokeys Mom
07-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Any pictures yet? Pokey's "cumberbund" has not arrived yet. :) He's doing really well right now, and just has problems with adjustments in dosage, food, water intake, etc.

I'll have to make a matching bow tie to pull his ensemble together. :D

lotsadox
07-09-2007, 09:33 PM
How about a top hat to go with that? :banana: :banana: Mr. Pokey would look very distinguished in a top hat! :BHearts:

Tex
07-10-2007, 07:35 AM
I would like to add the side note that after Jax was neutered, he stopped marking, and neither he nor Julie have had any accidents in the new house. There, I have officially jinxed myself!!!

Patt
07-10-2007, 09:49 AM
I would like to add the side note that after Jax was neutered, he stopped marking,

This is exactly what happened to our :angel7: Dodger. I think it happens more often then not. :cheer2: :cheer2: for Jax & Julie.