PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone freeze kibble?

oceangirls
11-27-2005, 05:20 PM
I feed a mix of foods to the girls, but only Cassie gets a small amount of Wellness kibble (she likes it and gets one as her "extra piece" that is a reward for being a good girl and not going after her sister's food after she has snarfed all of hers in 15 seconds). I cannot seem to find a small bag of it so I end up throwing a lot out after I've had the bag a few months because I feel like it's getting old. Has anyone frozen kibble, and if so... what do you put it in, how long do you keep it, does it thaw okay?:conf1:

Jen
11-27-2005, 05:54 PM
Excellent question. My mom gave me a bag of food for Tasha, which is good quality, but not something I'm going to switch her over to--we just use it occasionally for treats.

I was just wondering if I could freeze it, or if I should see if an animal charity will accept part of a bag.

Hope someone knows the answer.

Patt
11-27-2005, 06:05 PM
I have read that you can freeze kibble by Vacuum pack or Food Saver methods. Take out the portion you are going to feed and let it thaw 20 or so mins. Some say freezing will kill the nutrients… I haven’t a clue but suggest calling the company and asking. I keep my dog food in air tight containers that I purchased at PetsMart. I keep it for quite a while and if I’m uneasy about it I feed it to the outside birds, they love it and it doesn’t go to waste.
Now that I think of it, I freeze the kibble in the Kongs for treats.

oceangirls
11-27-2005, 06:10 PM
good advice, thanks. I have heard good things about those vacuum food savers.