PDA

View Full Version : Killing with kindness

Loren
12-12-2005, 07:45 AM
I'm sure we're ALL guilty of this one as dachsies are NOTORIOUS for those eyes for food, but it's worth the read and info.

http://news.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=2387822005

Linus
12-12-2005, 07:36 PM
So true!!! It seems dogs here in Waco fit into two categories (mostly.) They are either wandering the streets and skinny, or they are in a backyard and overweight!! Walking is so simple, and good for da hoomans too!

oceangirls
12-12-2005, 07:49 PM
Mine are not overweight, but they need more exercise and so do I!!! Thanks for the gentle reminder :)

Patt
12-12-2005, 07:53 PM
I watch Trixie's food intake like a hawk, too bad I don't watch my own. I'm a true believer in keeping all pets at the correct weight, actually I'm a little overboard but I hate to see any pet overweight. I see fat dogs and cats at my vets and it breaks my heart, I try very tackfully to bring it to the owners attention which is usually ignored. My vet tries to talk to them but they turn a deaf ear to her too. A couple of cats are 25 & 27# and a couple of Doxies are tweenies when they should definitely be mini's. :sosad:

:thanx: for posting Loren it is SO important.

Jacqueline
12-13-2005, 02:43 PM
I'm kind of hard pressed to figure out exactly how much to feed Taffy. She is a mini, and when I took her to the vet, weighed in at 7.5 pounds. Her little ribs showed when she laid down. When I weigh with her on my scale, she is up to 8 pounds now, and while they don't stick out, I can still feel those ribs. My hubby says she is fine.

I feed her a can of Mighty dog in the morning, and give her a small amount of dry in the evening. She gets either straight science diet dry or a mix of sd and puriena little bits. Of course, she gets treats during the day.

I play with her, getting her to run chasing her toys. She is a speed demon. She can't just 'fetch' from the room you toss the toy in, but gives it the full house tour before returning to do it again. Sometimes I run thru the house with her, just to show her that Mom is nuts, too. :scratch:

We also get in walks, tho not as many as we should - tho with the weather cooling down that will get better.

So....how did you determine how much to feed your babies?

isobelsmom
12-13-2005, 04:23 PM
Thank you, Loren, as Kim stated, for the gentle reminder. :cheer2:
I even loved the site as I'm scots-irish....AND I found a house to move to in the Highlands.

Sorry, off-topic. It is easy to overfeed by all those L@@KS demanding snackies. It's great if you can get them to work the snackies off by prompting the zoomies....thanks, again, Loren. You are so good at finding stuff of import in out-of-the-way places. You are gifted!!!

lotsadox
12-13-2005, 04:48 PM
Thanks, Loren. I'm guilty of the overfeed/not enough exercise thing for my dogs (actually it's the DH the overfeeds). That's why I was so proud that I got Bogart and Cash both back down to a good weight. Bogart is 12 lbs and that's a really good weight for him. Cash is still 14, but that's better than 17. He could stand to lose a couple more lbs. We're working on it.

Goob
12-13-2005, 09:12 PM
We watch our while they're eating and the second they show signs of being interested in something else we pull up the bowls. Seems to work pretty good - when they've had what they need, they seem to get distracted and then continue to return to the bowl, which isn't necessary. Great article Loren.