PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever had this?

katierose ballerina toes
05-21-2006, 09:44 AM
i could change katieroses name to sleeping beauty.she sleeps constantly.she's always in someones bed.the other day i was carrying her around(not unusual) and i noticed on her chest that she looks like she has heat rash,a few teeny tiny little white pimples!?! i can't imagine what it is ,i do use listerine and gold bond on my bassets belly and armpits to stop the chub rub and often i use the listerine on her too.(harmless i assure you)ok'd by my vet.but i haven't used it on her in over a month as it hasn't been warm enough here.:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: so i was just wondering if this was as bizarre as i thought or perhaps someone had come accross this in their past!any ideas? thanx for listening-monica(kiki's mom):thanx:

oceangirls
05-21-2006, 10:46 AM
well, let's see, I have not experienced that with my dogs, but I would ask:

1. any changes in food or treats?
2. have you bathed her lately? different shampoo?
3. has she been running outside through grasses or any other potential allergens like a field of flowers)?
4. could they be bites (flea or mosquito for instance)? - do they seem to hurt or itch her?
5. you said it was the other day you saw them - are they worse today, or are there more of them?

someone else may have seen this before and have a better idea... if not, the above info might give us more of an idea. Also sometimes people will post a picture of the spots and someone on here will be familiar with it. :)

katierose ballerina toes
05-21-2006, 11:03 AM
we did try a store bought treat the neighbor gave us ...but she also is a real lowrid!she's very very deep chested and the grass has been so wet here lately maybe thats it.shes not scratching and it dosen't seem to bother her at all.maybe some hydrocortizone cream?thanks:hearts: kiki

oceangirls
05-21-2006, 11:16 AM
that could be it (especially if there was any chemical or fertilizer or anything on the grass... or just because of all the things growing this time of year).

If it doesn't bother her, I don't think you need to put anything on it... just watch to make sure it resolves within several days and if not check with the vet. But yes, hydrocortisone is usually safe - for a few days - if your dog is healthy and has no chronic medical conditions.

If you think it's something in the grass, you might wipe her off after she comes inside with a wet washcloth. If she will let you, that is :D

Patt
05-21-2006, 12:21 PM
ITA with Kim. Probably an allergy to the grass etc. Since you don't know exactly what the problem is, I woudn't put anything on it and see if it goes away by itself. If not I would see/ask your vet. Good luck!

AgileOllie
05-21-2006, 12:25 PM
I use listerine on Rhett just before a show. Bathing him causes his coat to get soft, so listerine is the perfect answer! It kills germs and leaves him "minty fresh."

Got that tip from his groomer.

Anatresia
05-21-2006, 12:36 PM
Mr. Butters gets a rash on his stomach throughout the year. He has allergies, but I'm not sure what sets them off. I thought it was food related, but he's been doing well on food that I thought was problematic before, so I think it's seasonal.

He actually loses his fur when his allergies are bad, then gets little red bumps on his stomach. On particularly bad days, he breaks out in bumps on his back, which are, I assume, like hives.

Knock on wood- he's been really, really good lately and has a full chest of fur, too!

My vet gave me doggie benydryl that we use when he gets bad.

katierose ballerina toes
05-21-2006, 01:05 PM
we've rescued bassets for what seems like an eternity and have been on the boards for them forever,i must say this group is incredible!we never got even 1 response on the basset boards.we went through epilepsy,a stroke,esophageasal cancer,liver cancer etc. over the years w/ our bassets and not even a word of support or encouragement.and the ranting and fights that went on were insane!we have been made to feel so welcome and comfortable here.i just want to send a big hug to all of you!and mama s we owe you the biggest thanx cause without you we would never have been here!so thank you all so very much!we haven't been back to the basset site since we found ya'll.thanks again!:hug99: kiki and her mom

Lisa
05-21-2006, 01:33 PM
We are very happy to have you here and like to help out when we can. My Pogo has grass allergies and they are really bad this time of year. The vet gave me a spray (+ he gets benydryl for his super bad days)

areese
05-21-2006, 04:56 PM
Laika gets little bumps like pimples I guess. Like small blisters. On her belly mostly. The wet grass or something growing in the yard seems to cause it. They don't itch or anything so I don't do anything about them. She is on an antihistimine this spring and it seems to be helping quite a bit.
I'm glad you like the group!

Jen
05-22-2006, 10:01 AM
Tasha has a little one on her neck now that we're watching. I suspect its a pimple....but am just keeping an eye on it for now.

We're glad to have you here Monica! :)