PDA

View Full Version : Post thunder traumatic stress

Jen
05-22-2006, 11:40 AM
What a day Friday was. We had 3 rounds of thunderstorms, about 2 hours apart, and then fireworks around 9 (not sure where they were, we could hear them but not see them). Then more thunder yesterday. Poor Tasha hides along the side of the couch, between it and the wall. We moved it over so she has more room and put a blankie down.

She's been velcro dog ever since, always has to be in the same room with us, and wouldn't get up on the couch this am--though she slept next to us on it while we watched tv last night.

Very weird. DH is off this am since he works the 1-9 shift, and he's afraid to close the bedroom door as she's happier in there. I asked him to put the too short couch ramp up to it (its only 30" long and angle is very steep, but better than nothing) but I don't think he will--he thinks she'll not get up on it--I asked him to make the bed neatly so maybe I can tell. He's reluctant to spend $100 for another ramp (especially since she's not allowed in the bed at night).

But my question is whether those of you who have thunder fearing dogs have dealt with this stress--a day after the storm. Its so weird. Its clear today, no clouds, no reason for the quaking.:scratch:

JanUet
05-22-2006, 11:47 AM
Sophie hates the thunder and fireworks! Most times you can find her trembling under my shirt or pretty darn close to that!
She shakes and shivers throughout the whole ordeal. I just cuddle her a wee bit and let her know that it is okay. I will not over coddle her.

It does take her a day or so to get over it. I just treat her normally like I do everyday.

Casey is the opposite -- the noise dosn't bother him.
Sometimes he checks on Sophie as If to say "What's wrong with you?"

Lisa
05-22-2006, 11:47 AM
I can't really speak about post storm, my vet just gave us some new stuff to try. It's called Bio-calm, I can't find anything on the internet and I'm not sure if it is a Canadian thing, but it has been helping Pixel. We will be having fireworks tonight (oh joy), so I will give you an update tomorrow if this stuff really works or if it is just a figment of my imagination - so far it seems to be helping.

Jen
05-22-2006, 12:15 PM
Let me know if the Bio-Calm works, if so, I'll have to try it!! Poor Tasha, its weird for us to have so many t-storms here, especially two days last week!

Lisa
05-22-2006, 12:26 PM
Here is the link - biocalm (http://www.centaurva.com/products_companion_02.html) I usually NEVER give the boys anything with sucrose or anything corn related, but he wanted me to try it before he would consider sedatives because this would be easier on their livers given their ages (for long term use).....but if it doesn't work he will give them the more traditional drugs.

Jen
05-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Corn AND soy...oh boy, Tasha's not supposed to have either one. Thanks for the info, I'll wait and see what you think of the effects. :)

oceangirls
05-22-2006, 12:37 PM
that's just not fair! Well, Angel could care less about storms but she hates fireworks and she stays a little apprehensive for a day or so after they have stopped. Another thing - are you supposed to get more rain? Tasha might be able to smell the rain smell in the air and is having a negative association with it... just a thought :scratch:

Jen
05-22-2006, 12:39 PM
Good thought Kim but its totally clear and lovely out. I can't remember if we had thunder on Sat too, but I know we did on Friday all of those times, and once or twice yesterday. Sigh.

Its a good thing yours don't react to thunder--FL gets a LOT!

areese
05-22-2006, 02:21 PM
Owen is afraid of thunder and that fear has spread to a fear of rain in general and also of sizzling cooking (It must sound like rain). If it's been a very thundery or rainy day he is nervous for some time after. He seems to want to be in smaller room and actually does go into a crate for thunderstorms at night. He HATES them otherwise. ONe stormy day I put the dog bed in the bathroom for him and the small room and the bed made him feel more secure. I know a few people whose dogs like the bathroom during storms.
Owen will start shaking when he hears a loud motorcycle or something...because he thinks it's thunder starting..anything low pitched that kinda vibrates makes him start up. It's so sad when he's shaking and can't settle in one spot cuz he's afraid. I would think that if there were days of thunder and noise he would be nervous the next day. I tried rescue remedy on him but didn't notice any effect.

Jen
05-22-2006, 02:44 PM
Yes, Tasha used to hide in our old bathroom. She went in to the new one a few times, but doesn't seem to like it as much. She's got about 2 feet of room between the side of the couch and the wall, and we put the bag you made for her into the spot Amy, so she's more comfy.

We're worried she'll freak out every time she hears rain on the a/c. We shall see. Its to hard to watch her shiver and shake and the panting is the worst, the long tongue hanging out.

DH said Tasha did eventually come up on the couch this am. Hopefully after a day without thunder today she'll start to mellow out. I need to take her in for nails and anals but think I'll wait a few days.....

katierose ballerina toes
05-22-2006, 02:55 PM
i have 2 terrified babies when it comes to the thunder storms,i'm convinced if they could crawl into my skin when it crashes they would.kiki's chubby but her i can deal with but the 70 lb. basset hound (the ugly dachshund) is another story completely. he stradles me with his big fat baseball feet around my neck and holds on for dear life while crying cintinually till it stops! try rescue remedy.its all natural i think its holistic.just a few drops in the water bowl(its very calming)and seems to give them a sense of well-being.it often takes them a few days to bounce back here too!-kiki and finns mom-monica

dachielover
05-22-2006, 05:22 PM
Hi my Mom had a dachie that was scared to death of thunder storms. She ended up giving her Valium to help.

Patt
05-22-2006, 05:42 PM
My :angel7: Keysha used to really freak out at T&L and gun shots so I resorted to Acepromazine, she was fine the next day. They do like to be in dark places so I think the little area beside the couch and the wall would be perfect and be sure to close the blinds or drapes. I would just ignore her fright and do things normally. When you take Tasha in for her nails and AG ask the vet for his/her suggestions.

We haven't had much T&L but the last time we had a little thunder Trixie did start to feel uneasy w/shakes etc., we just ignored her so as not to encourage that behavior.

Rae
05-22-2006, 06:08 PM
Duchie freaks. every time. I used to put her in the bed with me (she sleeps in the recliner next to the bed) when it wold get loud, but she would not settle down and roamed the bed all night so NOBODY got to sleep.... sonow I crate her right next to hte bed. She likes her crate and I hope it makes her feel safe.

Bella's Mom
05-23-2006, 02:04 PM
Fortunately Bella is okay with storms. We're lucky with most things with the exception of the vacuum. She's terrified of that! I hope Tasha is doing better today. Poor baby girl... :hug99:

Lisa
05-23-2006, 02:11 PM
Nope it didn't work. We are going to need hard core drugs for the trip to Ohio for Pogo's car fear and Pixel's thunderstorm / fireworks fears.

Loren
05-23-2006, 02:16 PM
You might want to consider something like this:

FEAR /STRESS REMEDY:
This has a great calming effect at the time it is given and is very helpful for the animal who panics. Use it at shows; for travel; during a vet exam. Particularly useful for animals who are upset by having their nails trimmed or teeth cleaned. For long term conditions, the Tridex remedies should also be used.

Dosage: ½ to 1 dropper full 3 times daily or as often as necessary

Jen
05-23-2006, 02:27 PM
Nope it didn't work.

Bummer. Next time we go to the Vet I'm going to discuss it with her, though Tasha's annual is not till Jan. Tasha now will get her anals/nails done by a groomer--we are no longer near the Vet with free nail/anal Thursdays. :(

Lisa
05-23-2006, 02:42 PM
I tried the stress remedy, didn't work at all. This was the final shot at something more natural.

Jen, I will send you the stress remedy to try, I have a brand new unopened box (as I thought I would buy in bulk - before knowing if it would work or not).

Lisa
05-25-2006, 03:05 PM
Jen, I just saw this today, and given the name brand is TASHAS, I thought it might be the right product for her! I personally haven't tried it, but maybe others have.

Easy Does It (http://b-naturals.com/product_info.php?products_id=50&PHPSESSID=d6ddee91f770825917b19fc5b4960d3b)

Jen
05-25-2006, 03:13 PM
I love the brand name! If you're willing to send the extra you have, I'll try that first, if it doesn't work, we can try Tashas. The biggest problem is the unexpected fireworks....I mean I assume this stuff takes some time to work and last night's were out of the blue (though it seems to take place every other Wed). However T-Storms are predicted for tomorrow night--so if I knew ahead like that I could try it.