PDA

View Full Version : Finally got brave and fed Tasha a sardine....

Jen
05-22-2006, 06:52 PM
and she loved it! I just put it in with her dinner and she sniffed twice, gently picked it up, and swallowed the whole thing! :rotfl:

Seriously, I know they're good for her, but the gag factor for me was worse than tripe! Honest! And I thought they were tiny things, these were 4 big pieces of fish in a can.....

Tanya
05-22-2006, 06:53 PM
Once in agility, the teacher gave Peaches a dried sardine. She rolled on it! :rotfl:

Lisa
05-22-2006, 06:54 PM
Sorry Jen, I know you are not a fish person! They truly are great for her.

I am proud of you given how you feel about fish! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Jen
05-22-2006, 06:56 PM
Once in agility, the teacher gave Peaches a dried sardine. She rolled on it! :rotfl:

Thank you. See, it could have been worse! I spilled some fish juice and almost freaked. I'll get used to it, I'm sure, if I can just get over the gagging at the smell of fish.....

areese
05-22-2006, 06:58 PM
OMG that is so funny. maybe I should try to make some sardine jerky LOL

JanUet
05-22-2006, 07:08 PM
I give Casey and Sophie sardines once a week.
I buy the sardines that are in cans --packed in water.

I open the can and pull the sardines out with my fingers and put them in their bowls...I also add the water to their bowls.

I used to eat smelts ---fryed in flour and butter. So, it's no big deal to me.

I'm proud of you Jen! :cheer2: :cheer2:

catstamm
05-22-2006, 07:09 PM
Here's a little trivia....although all of you probably know the answer....
Do you know why Dachshund will roll around in smelly stuff....like peaches did the sardine??? And your final answer is?

Jen
05-22-2006, 07:10 PM
:vomit: I did NOT touch the stinky fish. I used a fork. And I probably woulda hurled if I chopped it up so she got it whole.

And yes, they were packed in water. I was careful to check that! :)

Jen
05-22-2006, 07:11 PM
Do you know why Dachshund will roll around in smelly stuff....like peaches did the sardine??? And your final answer is?

So the prey won't catch their scent??

catstamm
05-22-2006, 07:27 PM
And the WINNER is JEN!!!!! :hug99: :cheer2: :cheer2: :banana: :banana:

oceangirls
05-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Good job Jen!! I remember you saying you have to leave the room if Tasha eats a fish skin chew :D

I love fish (especially sushi) but I cannot do sardines. they do smell disgusting!!

lotsadox
05-22-2006, 07:40 PM

That is too funny! :rotfl: :rotfl: Sounds like something one of mine would do.

Jen, I'm proud of you for braving the fish smell to give Tash a treat. Mine love sardines!
:hearts:

JanUet
05-22-2006, 07:45 PM
:vomit: I did NOT touch the stinky fish. I used a fork. And I probably woulda hurled if I chopped it up so she got it whole.

I'm too lazy to get a fork.....I mush it with my fingers! :evilgrin:

oceangirls
05-22-2006, 09:42 PM
I'm too lazy to get a fork.....I mush it with my fingers! :evilgrin:

Mental note: more things not to eat when visiting Janet:

1. Meatloaf
2. Butter tarts that have tongue marks on them
3. Whipped cream from a can
4. Anything that appears to have been "mushed"...

Mental note #2:
Take Janet and Doug OUT TO DINNER instead (I insist - my treat!) :D

Laurie' s Dachshunds
05-22-2006, 09:56 PM
anchovies are the stinkiest!

I can' t stand the smell of chicken! Walmart sells 10 lb bags of chicken parts & they REEK!!!! They all have this watery, bloody juice in them!:yuck:

Chris
05-23-2006, 12:48 AM
I learned something new!

I thought they were just picking up the scent so later their doggie friends can sniff where they have been. That's a cool little factoid to know!

Chris
05-23-2006, 12:49 AM
BTW, speaking of fish...

DH likes to sprinkle the water from the Tuna fish can on their food because they go bananas....is that good or is it too salty/yucky?

LUVMYGUNNER
05-23-2006, 09:03 AM
Kim love what you wrote-LOL:rotfl: :rotfl:

Loren
05-23-2006, 09:37 AM
and she loved it! I just put it in with her dinner and she sniffed twice, gently picked it up, and swallowed the whole thing! :rotfl:

Seriously, I know they're good for her, but the gag factor for me was worse than tripe! Honest! And I thought they were tiny things, these were 4 big pieces of fish in a can.....

I'm glad she loved it..but you might want to give her just a little at a tiime and work your way up at least when first starting out...or you might have an upset tummy!

Jen
05-23-2006, 09:45 AM
All went well... she just got one of the four in the can and we had no tummy troubles (though I worried as barfed up sardine....:omg: it would have been the worst). And the #2 was fine this am too. So she'll get another one tonight!

Da Brat
05-23-2006, 10:44 AM
:appl: Yeah Jen!! So proud of you!!!

I'm like that with raw chicken! I absolutely CANNOT touch raw chicken!! * full body shiver* BLEH! I always have to make Billy cut it up for me....

Michelle
05-23-2006, 10:50 AM
:appl: :appl: Yeah Jen, that is great :appl: :appl:
I think I am going to give some to Heidi and Princess,,
I know they would love it,
Yesterday one of my fish in my tank was dying and I took it out and was about to flush it, when Rachel said we should put it outside on the patio and
see what Heidi and Princess would do to it,,

I was in one of those silly moods :duh: so I did it, and Heidi almost gobbled it up :rotfl: :rotfl: I quickly stopped her because it was a catfish and I didn't want the sharp dorsal fins to hurt her, also the fish was dying from ICK and I
just didn't want the dogs eating a sick fish,,

On a side note,, I lost my 3 beautiful clown loaches this morning to the ick, the bottom feeders are very hard to treat, and I have been going through hell the past few weeks with ICK in the tank, It was sad to flush my clown loaches today,, they were just beautiful.. :sosad:

Jen
05-23-2006, 11:00 AM
So sorry about your fish, how sad to see them die of Ick!

Do try the sardines, but make sure they're packed in water, not oil. At about $1 a can its a cheap treat for the puppers!

Chrystyna
06-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Have you guys tried frozen sardines? That's what I buy for our dogs. The smell is no where near as bad as the canned ones.

Jen
06-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the tip! I'll have to look for frozen ones!

Chrystyna
06-01-2006, 12:01 PM
I have found mine at Fiesta Market (Hispanic store). They have them in the frozen fish area. They have 2 different types there: Full sardines (head on) or ones where the heads have been cut off.

Jen
06-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Do you get the whole ones? I'm not sure which grosses me out more--with or without heads....

Chrystyna
06-01-2006, 01:48 PM
So far I have only bought the ones with the heads cut off since I've had the option. If they only had the ones with the heads on I'd give in and buy those though. I have an issue with seeing eyes or eye sockets. It's like that's when I finally realize those were living breathing things.

Da Brat
06-01-2006, 03:19 PM
All I'm going to say is... EEEWWWWWW!!! This is why I could never do raw... I feed my guys Nutro kibble, and they love it, so I'll keep doing that. I just can't handle the thought of my guys dragging raw meat all over the house. EEEWWWWW!!!
But kudo's to you guys that can!! :appl: You are much braver than I!

Chrystyna
06-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Mine don't have the option to drag it around the house. They all eat in their crates. Once the food is gone, the doors are opened, and they resume their normal activity. I'm a major clean freak, so the meat has to be contained to places I can clean afterwards.

Bella's Mom
06-02-2006, 02:34 PM

As soon as I seen the word sardine I gagged a little!! :rotfl: YUCKY!! I can tall you 100% for sure that Bella will not be getting any sardines! :rotfl: