View Full Version : Those who express your puppers anal glands--HELP!

Jen
05-23-2006, 03:28 PM
Ok, I've been to all of the websites, I've read all of the directions, me Vet even showed me but I can't seem to do it. Is it really this hard? Am I just chicken cause I don't want to hurt her?

The groomer is going to show me how on Thur am, but I was wondering if you had any tips as I may try once more tonight as the licking is driving me nuts!

Feel for the small hard, bb like nodules and squeeze between forefinger and thumb and stinky fishy stuff should come out right??

HotDogMama
05-23-2006, 03:33 PM
Sometimes I take a papertowel and kind of "scoop up" under the tail and that will get it to goin, I guess its not the "proper" procedure but it gets the job done, lol and the fishy smell..... smells more like cooked death to me :shocked:

lotsadox
05-23-2006, 03:38 PM
Well, I'm not very good at it, but basically I just hold the tail up with one hand and using a BUNCH of paper towels I just run my fingers along each side and squeeze until something comes out. I'm having trouble now with Miller. He acts like his are bothering him, but when I try to express them I hardly get anything out. :dunno: so I may not be the best person to ask about this.

Michelle
05-23-2006, 03:42 PM
:scratch: :scratch:
I have never had to do this with Heidi and Princess, they never scrap their butts along the ground, and could it be the raw feeding?? that keeps their anal glands from getting blocked up????,

Only dog lovers would be talking about squeezing butts :rotfl: :rotfl:

quavec
05-23-2006, 03:43 PM
:yuck: can't do it. tried but can't. I did find out that a good friend of the family is a vet tech and she said to just call her to see if she's busy and she'll come over and do it.

Jen
05-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Only dog lovers would be talking about squeezing butts :rotfl: :rotfl:

I know, I'm on the phone AT WORK with the groomer discussing anal glands!! :lol:

Some dogs just don't have da butt problem. Consider yourself very lucky! And for others the raw food does the trick!

lotsadox
05-23-2006, 03:50 PM
I haven't had nearly as much problem since I started feeding raw. I had to do Miller's right after I got him 4 years ago and he did them once himself at the vets when they tried to do his toenails :lol: but that's all until now. I'm not even sure that's what's wrong with him, he just keeps fussing with his butt and whines at me once in a while. :scratch:

Alex's Mom
05-23-2006, 03:50 PM
I'm having trouble now with Miller. He acts like his are bothering him, but when I try to express them I hardly get anything out. :dunno: so I may not be the best person to ask about this.
You might want to ge the vet to take a look at it, Patrice, cuz Maxe's got like that i.e., impacted/blocked, and it was pretty painful for her. Vet sorted it out pretty quickly, but I guess it can be nasty if left too long.

I've tried to do it with Alex, but with no luck. She manages to empty them herself pretty efficiently...on the couch, the bed, my leg, the rug, the car seat....:yuck:

lotsadox
05-23-2006, 03:52 PM
You might want to ge the vet to take a look at it, Patrice, cuz Maxe's got like that i.e., impacted/blocked, and it was pretty painful for her. Vet sorted it out pretty quickly, but I guess it can be nasty if left too long.

I've tried to do it with Alex, but with no luck. She manages to empty them herself pretty efficiently...on the couch, the bed, my leg, the rug, the car seat....:yuck:

I thought about the impacted thing. My friend had that happen with her schnauzer. If he keeps it up I will take him in.

Pebbles used to be good at emptying hers. In fact she was so good at it that we started calling it getting "skunked" by Pebbles. Happened to the DH a lot. :lol:

Jen
05-23-2006, 03:55 PM
I know the Weinerhausens can take care of it themselves. Really, a little extra laundry would be preferable to hours of butt licking. She hides under a blanket sometimes as if since she can't be seen we won't know what she's up to! :rolleyes:

Lisa
05-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Sorry Jen, I get the easy job of holding Pogo and the treats and gathering up the supplies, moist baby wipes, gloves, treats etc...Rafi is the one who has to get in there.

I think he does the external method where he just kind puts his left thumb at 8:00 and squeezes up to the baby wipe and then does his right thumb at 4:00. Now he knows right aways if they need to be done, because he can tell they are full.

Good luck, I think once you get the hang of it, you will never have to pay someone again, if you can get over your sardine thing, this will be a piece of...well sardine cake!

lotsadox
05-23-2006, 04:03 PM
:lol: Bogart is sort of OCD and licks his paws for ages before he goes to sleep at night. If he's laying on top of the covers licking and I tell him to stop, he gets under the covers and starts again like if I can't see him I won't know. :lol:

Jen
05-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Sardine cake. Oh my. I have been unable to do it in gloves...will try that first but may have to go barehanded to get a better feel. Placing the wipe up where the "stuff" will come out is a great idea. The things we do for our puppers!!

Da Brat
05-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Ok... so I've never had a dog have this problem so I have NO IDEA what ya'll are talking about... Um, when you say anal glands, what exactly is their purpose? And emptying them?? I'm getting the mental picture of a constipated weiner... Is this remotely correct?? :confused:

Jen
05-23-2006, 04:19 PM
Anal glands are supposed to leave a bit of liquid when the dog defecates, added smell to let others know its ID I guess. Here's a website that talks about potential problems and how to deal with them:

Anals (http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html)

Not all dogs have this problem, but if the sacs don't express naturally, they fluid builds up and becomes uncomfortable and dogs will lick under the base of the tail constantly (Tasha got sores the first time before we knew what the problem was!) or scoot across the floor, dragging the area to self express. Its a musty, fishy, nasty smelling stuff!

Rae
05-23-2006, 04:27 PM
:lol: Bogart is sort of OCD and licks his paws for ages before he goes to sleep at night. If he's laying on top of the covers licking and I tell him to stop, he gets under the covers and starts again like if I can't see him I won't know. :lol:

patrice, HRH will be glad to know she is not the only OCD pupper out there in licky-land. Paws only, but incessantly... drives me nucking futs.

Patt
05-23-2006, 05:51 PM
I've been really lucky, Trixie has not had this problem. My :angel7: puppers did and I let the vet do the job. If you are going to try it yourself be sure you have the area covered... I made the mistake of not having the rear end covered, ewww not nice. Be careful b/c improper emptying of the AG's can force the matter deeper into the tissues. I think the link you posted is the best one. Good luck!

lotsadox
05-23-2006, 06:01 PM
patrice, HRH will be glad to know she is not the only OCD pupper out there in licky-land. Paws only, but incessantly... drives me nucking futs.

What is that deal???? He does it sometimes when we're sitting on the couch. Makes me nuts some nights! :krazy:

areese
05-23-2006, 07:09 PM
I do Laika's every time I wash her...she doesn't really have a problem I guess. maybe they fill pretty quickly...but I don't want that smell leaking out of her. EVER AGAIN! I do it right in the tub with the water running and aim her butt at the faucet LOL. I want that stuff washed away IMMEDIATELY. I can't tell if they are full or not but just squeeze them anyway. I hold her tail up so her rectum kinda bulges...put a finger and thumb on each side and kinda push in and squeeze. Laika HATES it and yelps sometimes but Owen doesn't so I don't think it really HURTS but it makes Laika mad. Owell. I just don't want that butt smell on the couch or in my bed! Or car...or lap...or carpet...

Lisa
05-23-2006, 07:13 PM
Actually Jen, After a bath is a good time because the glands are more open (like popping a zit), even if you can put an old warm wash cloth that will help.

Jen
05-23-2006, 07:18 PM
Tasha HATES baths and only has them a few times a year. So I hesitate to add to the trauma. Will try a warm damp washcloth though!

Dijon04
05-23-2006, 07:28 PM
so you mean to tell me that's why he's licking his butt so much????????????? i had no idea.....i would turn him upside down and around trying to find a flea or hair or something that he couldnt reach.....

he did release them once that i knew about at the vet....he got nervous and it just sorta happened....pretty nasty.

except one problem...he doesnt let me anywhere near his hiney....if i try to check him for "stuff" someone has to hold him down and distract him so he doesnt bite.....let's just hope he doesnt release on the airplane...

oh and the feet cleaning thing.....CONSTANTLY. when we are in bed he has to clean them...and clean them and I try and explain that they are clean and he doesnt care....i make him move because the feet cleaning shakes the whole bed....and once he has to move the cleaning process has to start over...:confused: :scratch:

katierose ballerina toes
05-23-2006, 07:40 PM
kiki ahs been to the vet more times than i'd like to admit for this.shes prone to them being impacted.the antibiotic we give her when infected is bigger than her head.they said they next infection will require surgery unfortunately!so now we watch her like a hawk!

Alex's Mom
05-23-2006, 08:20 PM
We need to start a moms of OCD Licking dogs thread! Alex does that too...she'll lick her paws raw if I don't stop her. It also makes me totally completely insane! (well, ok, more so than usual :rolleyes:). I think it may be partly her arthritic little paws, but she's done it since she was quite young, and I WISH SHE'D STOP!!!!:duh:

Da Brat
05-23-2006, 09:30 PM
First of all.. um EW!
2nd, do other dogs have this or just Doxie's? My mom's dog Pete does that a lot, but he doesn't have a lick of Doxie in him...
And mom don't even THINK I'm going to help you out on that one!! I would surely gak all over your house if I did!!

Rafi
05-24-2006, 02:28 AM
I thought Dachshunds being longer bodied wouldn't be able to lick themselves back there. Anyways. Here is how I do it.

1:
Liisssaaaaa!! Pogo's Scooting, get the gloves.

2:
Wear Gloves and have Baby Wipes in hand which will express the glands.

3:
It would help to have someone distract the puppy, Lisa makes a wonderful assistant.

4: Lift Tail up with one hand and cover the butt with the Baby Wipes with the other hand. The Glands will be anywhere from size of Red Kidney Beans to Small Grapes depending how full they are. There are Two of them.

Use your Thumb on one and Index finger on the other and squeeze them both with a upward motion, if done properly they should be expressed into the baby wipes. Puppy gets a treat and all is well.

Patt
05-24-2006, 02:33 AM
First of all.. um EW!
2nd, do other dogs have this or just Doxie's? My mom's dog Pete does that a lot, but he doesn't have a lick of Doxie in him...
And mom don't even THINK I'm going to help you out on that one!! I would surely gak all over your house if I did!!Any dog can have this problem but it happens more often in the smaller breeds.

areese
05-24-2006, 08:00 AM
First of all.. um EW!
And mom don't even THINK I'm going to help you out on that one!! I would surely gak all over your house if I did!!

CATS can have the same problem! Honest! :rotfl: