PDA

View Full Version : Princess Puked her raw food

Michelle
05-26-2006, 11:35 AM
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:
Ok, I am a little shocked here and not sure what to do,,
Princess puked up her entire meal of raw medallions the other day, and now I am leary about what to do next..

For the 2 weeks that my dad's dogs were with us, I stopped the raw feeding for the girls cause Oscar was having so many issues.

Now, I am not sure if she just puked it all up cause she was so excited to get her raw food again that she inhaled it without swallowing it,, I have to admit that I did not mash them up like I usually do and mix in the seameal, I was in a hurry, so I just defrosted them and put them down whole and she ate three of them..

She was fine after she barfed them up, and I hand fed her some kibble and she was fine the rest of that evening,

but since she barfed it up, I have not given either of them their raw food, and I just bought a tub of Aunt Jennies, Homemade for life raw beef for them and wanted to try it out with them tonight,,,

Do you think I am just stressing for no reason, and she just probably ate it too fast????????

Since they have been eating raw they have NEVER barfed up any of their raw food so I was completely :shocked: when this happened...

Courtney
05-26-2006, 11:40 AM
If she is acting fine and normal and appears healthy, then it is probably not something to worry about. Would you be freaking out if she barfed up kibble?

Michelle
05-26-2006, 11:48 AM
If she is acting fine and normal and appears healthy, then it is probably not something to worry about. Would you be freaking out if she barfed up kibble?

Thanks Courtney,, Yeah, I would probably be freaking out, but not as much, I was just freaking cause I was thinking maybe she was getting a sensitive stomach to the raw, which doesn't make sense cause she has been eating all of it just fine with no problems at all,,

She is acting normal and just like her silly little self, so I will go ahead and give them the raw tonight, I'll just make sure she doesn't inhale it, and hand feed it to her..

Jen
05-26-2006, 12:03 PM
I know this is gross, but did she try to re-eat it afterward? Tasha has puked if we feed her and then to go the park and she's doing zoomies. And she wants it back every time, which I guess means her tummy isn't THAT upset.

Me, I'd try the raw again and see how she does.

Courtney
05-26-2006, 12:15 PM
I am pretty sure a dog can't just "develop" a sensitive stomach. Dogs barf, it happens!

Michelle
05-26-2006, 12:26 PM
Thank goodness, NO, she did not try to eat it, but Heidi did, the pig that she is,,, Rachel had to shoo her away so I could quickly get paper towels and clean it up..

I'll just take this as a one time thing, since neither one of them have ever ever puked before,,

I think I am just freaking cause it was her very first time ever puking..

They are getting special treats of t-bone steak for the holiday weekend, I bought some T-bones yesterday and they of course are going to get some of it before it goes on the grill for us..

Jen
05-26-2006, 01:00 PM
They NEVER puked before? :wow: Tasha was a barfing wonder when we got her!! Even the Vet had no idea but through some of the wonderful people here I finally realized it was a corn/wheat sensitivity, got her on a better food and now she only barfs once every few months.

I second Courtney, dogs barf, it just happens!

Michelle
05-26-2006, 01:09 PM
They NEVER puked before? :wow: Tasha was a barfing wonder when we got her!! Even the Vet had no idea but through some of the wonderful people here I finally realized it was a corn/wheat sensitivity, got her on a better food and now she only barfs once every few months.

I second Courtney, dogs barf, it just happens!

Yes, the have NEVER barfed before,, they are amazing,, I have never had any major issues with them at all.. Princess just had some Diarrhea a few months back and she had to get some medication but aside from that, nothing else, no barfies, no nothing!!,

I consider myself to be very very lucky!!!!!

catstamm
05-28-2006, 04:07 AM
Jen can't eat raw she yakes everytime.

Michelle
05-30-2006, 10:30 AM
WEll, Princess did OK for one day with the raw from Aunt Jennies, then the next day she had a chicken thigh and was fine with that, but last night, she puked the prepared raw again!!!!!!!!! This time on my brand new carpet I bought for the dining room!!!, I caught it right away, but now this has me completely stumped,,

She is not sick at all, playing running acting her normal self, and ate some kibble later in the evening...

I just don't get it,,

Patt
05-30-2006, 11:25 AM
WEll, Princess did OK for one day with the raw from Aunt Jennies, then the next day she had a chicken thigh and was fine with that, but last night, she puked the prepared raw again!!!!!!!!! This time on my brand new carpet I bought for the dining room!!!, I caught it right away, but now this has me completely stumped,,

She is not sick at all, playing running acting her normal self, and ate some kibble later in the evening...

I just don't get it,,Perhaps her system is unable to tolerate it any more. It happens!

Michelle
05-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Perhaps her system is unable to tolerate it any more. It happens!

OH No,, that would be awful,, I enjoy feeding it to them so much, I noticed though after she puked the first time she was very leary about eating it again, she ate the Aunt Jennies fine for one day, then she ate the raw chicken leg the next day with no problems, then last night I gave her Aunt Jennies raw beef again, and she puked it, so she has puked up the Nature's Variety once and the Aunt Jennies once,,

I guess I have to keep experimenting and see how things go with her.. I wonder if I should just stick with the raw chicken thighs and see how that goes , then try the prepared raw and do test run,,

Courtney
05-30-2006, 11:55 AM
The beef may be too rich. I know I can't feed it to Napoleon, so I only feed beef heart and oxtail here, not beef meat.

Michelle
05-30-2006, 12:01 PM
The beef may be too rich. I know I can't feed it to Napoleon, so I only feed beef heart and oxtail here, not beef meat.

Oh Thanks Courtney, That might be the problem, before she could eat the beef with no problems, but maybe now it is starting to bother her, I remember now that the Nature's varitey was beef, and so was the Aunt Jennies,

I will start experimenting now, I will give her only chicken pieces and then just give her the lamb medallions and see how she does,,

Jen
05-30-2006, 12:12 PM
Tasha doesn't like the beef, picks something out of it, so we're sticking to chicken. She gets Evo kibble at breakfast and raw at supper so she's still getting protein from several sources.

I would try not giving her the beef for awhile, stick to other meats, and see what happens.

oceangirls
05-30-2006, 07:35 PM
I'm not a raw food expert, but if you are bound and determined that you're going to feed raw, I would totally agree to give her ONE type of food at a time and not switch around until you have determined what she can tolerate. Just because she vomits after eating a certain food doesn't mean that that is the food that irritated her stomach, if that makes sense (the beef one day might irritate her stomach so then she throws up the chicken the next day and it is hard for you to tell which food is the problem).

I do think switching foods around is great - once you know your dog can tolerate all of them.

Michelle
05-31-2006, 10:40 AM
I'm not a raw food expert, but if you are bound and determined that you're going to feed raw, I would totally agree to give her ONE type of food at a time and not switch around until you have determined what she can tolerate. Just because she vomits after eating a certain food doesn't mean that that is the food that irritated her stomach, if that makes sense (the beef one day might irritate her stomach so then she throws up the chicken the next day and it is hard for you to tell which food is the problem).

I do think switching foods around is great - once you know your dog can tolerate all of them.

I think I will have to end up doing this now,, sadly,, Princess never had a problem before, she ate beef for months with no problems and now out of the blue,, she is barfing her beef,, so I will have to keep her on one variety until I am able to find out where the problem is.. she is perfectly happy though eating the kibble. Heidi is the one that prefers the raw now over the kibble and will just nibble the kibble if her raw is not there for her..

I'll just go slowly with my little Princess, she is definately not sick though, which is good,,,

Chrystyna
06-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Could it be that she's eating too many medallions? For a couple of days before we went full raw (meat on bones) I used the medallions to get them used to a different type of diet. I gave Piper 3 and she threw up. I figured she ate too many and the next time I gave her only one. An hour later after she kept it down I gave her another one and she held that one down also. If you decide to start her back up you might try something like that.

I'm not sure how Princess eats, but I have an inhaler at my house if there aren't bones involved. Whenever Harley gets meat without bones he throws up. We're having to change his feeding plan due to this. He's getting a lot more chicken legs now because of this.

My other thought is it could be the part kibble/part raw diet. Have you thought about removing the kibble all together to see how she does on that?

Good luck!

oceangirls
06-01-2006, 12:34 PM
My other thought is it could be the part kibble/part raw diet. Have you thought about removing the kibble all together to see how she does on that?

I have heard that - that it is not recommended to feed raw and kibble at the same time. Maybe it has something to do with either the digestive enzymes that are stimulated with one vs the other, or the composition of the natural GI flora that will develop with a certain type of diet :scratch: ? Not sure, but it is a good thing to consider.

Chrystyna
06-01-2006, 02:11 PM
It's definitely that way at my house. My parents dog is staying with us and she eats kibble. Well I was a bad Mom and looked away the other day while Buffy was eating her kibble. I kept hearing the chewing noise, so I kept doing what I was doing. I looked down a bit later and Buffy was standing next to me :scratch: If Buffy is next to me then who in the heck is eating her food :scratch:

Princess Bi*ch (I mean Piper) was over there chowing down. She threw up that night. Her belly just can't handle raw and kibble at the same time.

Something to think about.

Jen
06-01-2006, 02:26 PM
Tasha has been on Evo kibble at breakfast and raw medallions for supper for a month now and no problems here, no barfies. She does get yogurt with both meals, maybe that helps a bit. And Evo is very rich, so she's used to a high protein food to start with.

Michelle
06-01-2006, 02:53 PM
I have heard that - that it is not recommended to feed raw and kibble at the same time. Maybe it has something to do with either the digestive enzymes that are stimulated with one vs the other, or the composition of the natural GI flora that will develop with a certain type of diet :scratch: ? Not sure, but it is a good thing to consider.

No, this is not the problem, I have read up on this, and Heidi and PRincess never have raw and kibble in their tummies at the same time. I am very careful with this. They eat their kibble early in the AM before I leave for work at 7am.

They do not get their raw meal until 6pm, then all kibble is picked up until the next morning.

Princess does inhale the medallions, but she also puked the aunt jennies and that day she ate it very slowly..

I am thinking she is starting to have a problem with tolerating the beef,

they have been on a 50% raw diet now since December, I think,, and never had any problems in the past even when she inhaled the medallions..

I never feed them raw if I come home and find out that DH was home and left their kibble down and they are out of the crate when I get home. I just can't take that chance on tummy upsets, so there are some days that they end up getting kibble in the evening too cause hubby always forgets about picking up the kibble.

This puking business has just come out of the blue from nowhere, she always did fine on all kinds of raw meat.

She has only barfed now twice, once on N/V beef medallions and Aunt Jennie's beef raw, so I am pretty sure it is the beef bothering her, but for what reason I don't know, when she always did fine with it before...

I can't try raw tonight cause DH is home today and I know he left the food down again, he never picks it up..

I'm just taking my time with her and going slow, I will have to try raw chicken thighs again and see how she does..

Da Brat
06-01-2006, 03:14 PM
Although I don't have a lick of advise for you, I'll be sending :bigrayz: that you get it all figured out soon.