View Full Version : Raced Harold to the vet today...

laura
05-30-2006, 05:21 PM
OMG! I was going outside with Herman and Harold, they ran to the door as usual, when we got outside, Harold stopped short, his eyes were glassy, he started wobbling, then he fell over and couldn't breathe! He was laboring to breathe, with he mouth closed and his cheeks would go in and out as he tried to breathe! A construction worker happened to hear me holler out and he yelled" Breath into his mouth". I opened Harold's mouth, and forced a breath into him. He immediately spewed out yellow stuff from his nose and began to breath again. It was still labored, he did not yet get up. Todd was out running and he was just coming back. We gave Harold water and he drank and drank and drank.

We raced him to the vet. The vet said he may have had a small stroke. He also said he could have just asphixciated ( I have no idea how to spell that word) ...he could not say anything for certain. His enlarged heart is worse from even last week, but Harold did walk right to the door in the vet's office when we put him down to see if he could walk and it was like "get me out of here". So he is walking and though he seems a bit droopier, I went through the drive-thru at Wendy's and when the bag came through the window into the car, he perked up and asked for some chicken. (only gave him a tiny piece)

So fingers are crossed. but I tell you...I almost died out there when he fell over and was not breathing.

Damn, I love my senior dogs, but it is so hard seeing them decline.

Courtney
05-30-2006, 05:24 PM
Oh no!! I would have been scared ****less too. I am really glad things seem to be OK for now. Keep us posted!! :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

quavec
05-30-2006, 05:26 PM
OMG! How scary lots of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and :hug99: for mom and dad. Please let us know how he is doing.

catstamm
05-30-2006, 05:31 PM
OMG you must have been so scared.....thank God someone told you to breath in his mouth....I hope he's feeling better....poor baby....It is sooooo hard when they start declining :sosad: Sending lots of love from the girls he way :hearts: :hearts:

K2
05-30-2006, 05:32 PM
How scary!!! Sending lots of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and :hug99: :hug99: too.

areese
05-30-2006, 05:47 PM
Hugs for you and :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for poor Harold!!!!!

Patt
05-30-2006, 05:50 PM
I'm sending mega feel better :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and :pray:ers to Harold.
I know what you mean watching them decline, treasure each day with :hearts::hearts: and :hug99: :hug99:

Lisa
05-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Oh Laura, I am actually freaking out just reading this! That is super scary. I hope the little guy continues to improve. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: Thank goodness you were there to save his life...you are truly his :angel7: .

:bighug:

laura
05-30-2006, 06:39 PM
We had 9 people over for dinner last night. One of the kids of our neighbors confessed just now that Harold fell off the balcony! On to the concrete about 5 feet down! He walked away so the kid did not say anything. It was only when I told the kids mom about Harold today that she said he mentioned it to her.

Now, Harold is not able to walk at all! He wobbles on all four legs. and falls. I have him in his crate and am keeping him warm and quiet. Back to the vet tomorrow morning.

I am freaked out.

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts! It means alot.

lotsadox
05-30-2006, 06:46 PM
:holyshp: That would scare anybody! Sending rayz for Harold :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and :bighug: for you.

Linus
05-30-2006, 06:49 PM
:omg: Before I read about the fall I would have said that he aspirated...couldn't breathe because of fluid in his lungs... my kids at school do that sometimes and its the scariest thing! NO ONE TOLD YOU ABOUT THE FALL?!?!?! I would be POed!!!

Patt
05-30-2006, 07:02 PM
OMG I am so sorry, can you call the vet now and let him know what really happened. Possibly Harold has a concussion, other injuries (back etc) and needs to be hospitalized. I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated.

alfina
05-30-2006, 07:04 PM
Oh, poor Harold! I will keep him in my thoughts today.

laura
05-30-2006, 07:14 PM
yes, I am furious that no one told me! the kid who saw it is actually the kid of a mother who is not really an animal person.

Now I am horrified and yes, we have called the vet who is sending us to a specialized clinic.

Mama S.
05-30-2006, 07:16 PM
Oh honey,
I am sooo sending major :bigrayz: to our beloved Harold. Please know that I am thinking about you guys and will be watching for an update on how he is...
Mama

AgileOllie
05-30-2006, 07:18 PM
Oh. I'm so sorry. I know how horrifying that must have been. Harold will be in my prayers..

AgileOllie
05-30-2006, 07:20 PM
OH MY GOODNESS!!! POOR HAROLD!!
At this point, my biggest reason to procreate is to breed out the non-dog kids that are out there!!
ARGH!!! Imagine that he didn't tell anyone!! Poor Harold.:pray:

We had 9 people over for dinner last night. One of the kids of our neighbors confessed just now that Harold fell off the balcony! On to the concrete about 5 feet down! He walked away so the kid did not say anything. It was only when I told the kids mom about Harold today that she said he mentioned it to her.

Now, Harold is not able to walk at all! He wobbles on all four legs. and falls. I have him in his crate and am keeping him warm and quiet. Back to the vet tomorrow morning.

I am freaked out.

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts! It means alot.

Frzframe
05-30-2006, 07:21 PM
Oh no I'm so sorry to hear this news. Please know you and Harold are in my thoughts and prayers. Many :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:'s headed your way. :hug99:

HotDogMama
05-30-2006, 07:21 PM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: lots of rays and :pray: for Harold!!! How scary!!! I hope he is okay, and feels better soon!!! :hug99: :hug99: for his worried mama!

Patt
05-30-2006, 07:38 PM
Laura, since *I* don't trust kids with animals out of my sight.... Is it possible Harold was pushed and didn't fall accidently?

Alex's Mom
05-30-2006, 07:48 PM
Oh Laura, :hug99: :hug99: for you and mega :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Harold. How frightening!!!! I'd throttle that stupid kid and his mother :mad: Please let us know what the vet says tomorrow.

Yolanda
05-30-2006, 09:21 PM
Laura,

I am so sorry to read about Harolds "mis-adventure". Lots of :pray: :pray: :pray: and :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for both of you.

Red Haired Girl
05-30-2006, 09:30 PM
Oh My! I'm so sorry for you and Harold. I hope he is going to be Ok.

Da Brat
05-30-2006, 09:54 PM
OH MY... I am cringing just at the thought of going through what you are dealing with right now!! Sending lots and lots of :bigrayz: , :pray: , and :hug99: !! And a smack or 2 for stupid people and their defuncted children!

samandissy
05-30-2006, 09:59 PM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :pray: :pray: :hug99: :hug99: for you and sweet Harold

Jen
05-31-2006, 10:37 AM
I cannot believe a child saw it happen and didn't get you immediately! People suck!

Poor Harold has passed over the bridge due to his fall, so I'm closing this thread.