PDA

View Full Version : What SHOULD I have done?

Fluffy
05-31-2006, 10:46 AM
Last night, Buddy was sleeping under the chair. He wasn't completly tucked under and when I stood up, I accidently stepped on his tail :( He yelped something fierce! I was trying to appologize, rub his wil tail and make sure he knew I didn't mean to do it when Heidi came running. She actually LUNGED at me! I was kinda scared for a hot minute that she was going to bite me. I jumped up with Buddy in my arms and talked in a really sweet voice saying "Look Heidi, i'm not hurting him, I love Buddy" (I know she had no clue what I was saying but due to the sweetness of my voice I was hoping she'd get the idea) She just jumped up at me and scratched me a few times. I didn't want to punish her (possibly a mistake, I know) because she was trying to protect her brother. For future referance if this should ever happen again, what should I have done/do?? I've never been in this kind of a situation before!!!! Thanks!

Tex
05-31-2006, 10:50 AM
Wow, that's a tough one....I've done the whole step on tail by accident thing, but my other pup hasn't ever seen me do it or realized what the other one was yelping about. Good luck and I hope his tail is all better!!!!!!

Michelle
05-31-2006, 11:16 AM
:shocked: :shocked: OMG Holy Sheep!!!! I would be freaked out too!!!!
I am totally shocked that she would show that kind of agression toward you..
Has she ever done anything like that before.. I know that I have stepped on tails by accident and the other one never thought I was trying to hurt their sister and have never acted that way,,

I just don't know what to say either.... :scratch: :scratch:

Jen
05-31-2006, 11:21 AM
I would have set him down so she could see for herself he was alright.

Accidents happen--Tasha has had her tail stepped on a few times. :(

Fluffy
05-31-2006, 11:44 AM
Michelle, no, she has NEVER gone after me like that before. She wasn't even in the room when it happened...she came running when she heard him yelping!!

Jen
05-31-2006, 11:47 AM
If you were holding him she might have thought you were STILL doing whatever made him yelp? That's why I thought setting him down so she could check him over might work. A good Sis!

K2
05-31-2006, 01:34 PM
I agree with Jen~she probably thought you were still hurting him. Placing him on the floor may have helped. :hug99: That must have been scary though.

Irminsul
06-01-2006, 03:40 PM
She might have not been coming after you at all. In a pack, when one dog yelps, very often all the other dogs will come and bite him, because he is weak at that second.

It's very dangerous when for example a puppy gets stuck and starts screaming.

I think a firm NO! would have done the trick...

catstamm
06-01-2006, 10:34 PM
I agree with Jen too....my Jen is very protective of everyone in our family...both 4 and 2 legged....

Goob
06-01-2006, 10:39 PM
I don't really know...but my two are VERY protective of each other.... I guess chalk it up to you finally know she loves the lil guy!!