PDA

View Full Version : WTF? How much booming can one dog take??

Jen
06-05-2006, 09:47 AM
You are not gonna believe this. Last night we're back from walkies about 8:30, Tasha is settled in with her chewey, happily chewing, when all of the sudden fireworks start going off. Panic mode. Level 1, shaking then level 2, panting. But she's up on the couch and not doing too badly considering. Finally after 15 min the fireworks end.

5 bloody minutes later I say, :wtf: was that THUNDER?

Oh yeah, now we're having a freaking thunderstorm. Tasha goes to level 3 and crawls under the couch, legs vibrating a beat on the wood floors.

It was NOT a good night for us. We eventually lured her out with some fresh mozarella about 30 min after the storm passed.

Lisa
06-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Jen, that is so terrible! Poor Tasha. I hope you have a nice sunny forecast for the next little while.

I am going to try the melatonin and see if that works for Pixel. Not sure when our next storm is supposed to be, it looks like we are in for a really nice week so far. :crossfin:

Kim, do you know anything about Melatonin? These are a few things I have found, but not sure if you know anything that might cause a problem. I don't really want to put Pixel on prescription drugs if I can find something a little more natural (athough I know natural doesn't mean side-effect free).

http://www.peoriahs.org/melatonin.html

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1622

Tex
06-05-2006, 10:23 AM
I've never thought about using melatonin on puppers....I've used it myself when I have trouble sleeping.......I'm pretty sure benadryl works too. Good luck and sending big "go away fireworks and thunder" :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: to poor Tasha!

Jen
06-05-2006, 10:28 AM
A slight chance of T-Storms today, but then ok for the next few days.

I've asked my DH, a health reference librarian, to research melatonin too. :)

Lisa
06-05-2006, 10:32 AM
AWESOME!! Thanks Jen, I will be interest in both what he and Kim has to say about it.

The dosing about in really tiny too - 1/4 of a caplet if I understood it correctly.

:sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: vibes heading your way.

areese
06-05-2006, 10:37 AM
Poor Tasha! I hope it stays quiet for awhile.

lotsadox
06-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Poor Tasha! My friend's schnauzer is panicked by fireworks, thunderstorms, etc. She uses Min Chex by Standard Process. The only drawback with Min Chex or Min Tran (milder form) is that they take a while to work. Here in Texas, the storms tend to come and go quickly. If she thinks there's one coming and starts giving it to her early, she does fine, but if it comes up quickly it's no good. Have you tried Rescue Remedy? It's great for anxiety and can be used as often as necessary.

Laurie' s Dachshunds
06-05-2006, 11:09 AM
Thunder doesn' t bother my pack. Reesee was really afraid of the vaccum.
After a while I got her used to it & now she' s OK and will even stay in the same room! I hope you can get Tasha used to the noise! Maybe you can drown out the noise with the radio?

lizzieb38
06-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Poor little sweetheart. Benadryl will be okay. See if you can find the table form, then you can just break them in half, she's not too zonked out.

Da Brat
06-05-2006, 11:46 AM
Oh, poor Tasha just can't win for losing!!
Sending good weather vibes and be brave :bigrayz: :bigrayz: your way!!

oceangirls
06-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Kim, do you know anything about Melatonin? These are a few things I have found, but not sure if you know anything that might cause a problem.

I had not heard about using melatonin in dogs, but it's pretty safe in humans; makes sense that it might help. :) I will check a couple of other references I have and also when I get on my home computer I can check consumerlab.com and see which brands of melatonin passed their tests of purity and standardization.

Bella's Mom
06-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Poor Tasha! She just can't catch a break lately!