PDA

View Full Version : Jabari

Courtney
06-07-2006, 12:46 AM
Jabari evacuated Hurricane Katrina with his family, who in turn left him at the Best Western in Waxahachie, Texas. He ended up at the Ellis County SPCA and had some health issues. Someone adopted him from there and tried to clear up those issues, but whatever they did didn't work and he ended up back at that shelter. The director sent out an email to rescuers with two pictures of the dog that came to be named Jabari, which means "strong." He had major hairloss and was raw and bloody. CTDR's other intake coordinator (besides me) has a soft spot for the ones with horrid mange so we said we'd take him, please don't put him down. Our volunteer Pam drove an hour to get him and took him to our vet in Fort Worth. He was anemic, covered in fleas, dehydrated, and came up positive for demodex and the vet thought he had sarcops too. He was a mess. But Dr. Hultman got him stabilized and he made the trip to our vet in Austin as soon as he could.

He perked up, was no longer oozing, and seemed to be enjoying life. But then he got worse and distemper was suspected. They did a spinal tap and waited for the results. This morning, Jabari had a seizure, and the test results confirmed distemper.

Dr. Culp was going to try an experimental vaccine. She made the arrangements to get it and planned to start it tomorrow. Then she went to check on him and found his cage dripping with bloody diarrhea. They knew they should not let him suffer anymore.

This is the email Chris sent out tonight.

I just came back from there. He looked so good and yet so awful at the same time. At least he got soft caresses in the end. All of his suffering from the last however many months is now over, and he finally looked so peaceful.

Pam is taking his ashes and she has a special place for him. She will give him dignity in the end.

Rest in peace, Jabari. You touched many people in the short time that you graced CTDR.

If you would like to make a donation in his memory please visit www.ctdr.org/available.html and look for his bio to pay via PayPal, or send a check to CTDR, 7301 RR 620 N, Ste 155 #136, Austin, TX 78726. He did not have to suffer like he did. I hate to solicit like this but Jabari is only one of many dogs we've taken in lately with serious medical issues. Our vet bills are at something like $6600 and we're just maxed out. Without more fosters and donations we won't be able to save as many dogs....

Here he is on the day Pam picked him up.

http://static.flickr.com/76/153267551_bcae269846.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/71/153267544_6621e91873.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/54/153267531_e1971525ac.jpg

catstamm
06-07-2006, 01:03 AM
Oh my God ....poor Baby that was a wonderful thing you did to give him peace in his last days.....I am so sorry...I know that it only takes one day for them to steal your heart ...the length of time you have them is irrrelivant.
I would love to help financially but we are also completely tapped out and have 2 puppers that are in need of surgery right now.... and there are only 3 of us that run our local rescue...:confused:
I send my prayers and and a candle will be lit...you have done a wonderful thing.... Good luck with your fundraising....:hearts:
Cat

Goob
06-07-2006, 01:20 AM
:sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1:

Fluffy
06-07-2006, 01:24 AM
:ditto: :candle3:

Patt
06-07-2006, 01:33 AM
:imsorry: This is so sad. Poor baby he looks like he suffered a lot. :sad1:
I will light a :candle3: for the newest little :angel7: :pray:

Yolanda
06-07-2006, 06:06 AM
The story and pictures are heartbreaking. Thank goodness CTDR was there to finally try to help and let him know final love.

Tex
06-07-2006, 07:31 AM

You did a great thing taking him in and easing his suffering. Good luck with your fundraising.......I'll send some if I can!!!!

Alex's Mom
06-07-2006, 08:11 AM
He had such a beautiful face...thank you for giving him some peace at the end. We'll be lighting a candle for him tonight.

AgileOllie
06-07-2006, 08:46 AM
Thank you so much for giving him peace in his last days. You know- both hurricanes flushed out more abused/neglected dogs than I've seen in a long time.
I will keep him in our prayers.:sosad: :bighug:

quavec
06-07-2006, 09:06 AM
Oh that breaks my heart. There are still so many survivors who are lost and in bad health. He truly was a strong little guy. Thanks for all that you rescuers do.

Jen
06-07-2006, 09:10 AM
At least he's at peace, poor little Jabari! My heart breaks seeing that face, so much neglected and so much love to give. No more pain for the sweet :angel7: .

laura
06-07-2006, 01:35 PM
That is such distrubing new...so glad you were there to end his poor innocent life with peace and love!

Thank you!

Almost Doxie
06-07-2006, 02:58 PM
So sorry you lost one that could have given so much. Even though he isn't suffering, it is too bad he didn't get the chance he deserved.

Patt
06-07-2006, 05:33 PM
Check is in the mail for Jabari. Thanks to CTDR for taking in all the little Dachsie's that need help.

Laurie' s Dachshunds
06-08-2006, 12:19 AM
That poor baby looked so pitiful!:shocked: I know it was painful for him.
:sosad: and caught me off guard, I was expecting a happy ending.
:hug99: for giving him love & care for him.

lizzieb38
06-08-2006, 12:07 PM
:tissue: :candle3: :sad1: :angel7: Nuff said.