PDA

View Full Version : Bath time in the winter

Fluffy
12-13-2005, 07:08 PM
This may sound like a REALLY stupid question however...my house is very old and very drafty. My puppers both need baths, but I am worried about it due to how cold it is. With Ben, we could set the blowdryer on "cool" and help him dry a little (after toweling him off of course) but Heidi and Buddy are both terrified of the blowdryer. I don't want to give them baths and have them end up sick, however they are startin to be stinky puppies!!! Any suggestions on what to do to help them dry or what I should do after the bath??

Patt
12-13-2005, 07:21 PM
Do you have one room that you can keep fairly warm for an hour or so? If so I would give them a bath and keep them closed in that particular room. Do you bathe them in the kitchen? That would probably be the room easiest to heat. Possibly you could bring their bedding in there and they could stay warm until dry. They do have Quick Bath Cleansing Wipes that you can use it removes dirt and leaves your pet clean and smelling fresh.

lotsadox
12-13-2005, 07:50 PM
I second Patt's suggestion. I live in a large house that is rather drafty. I use a space heater in the bathroom when I'm giving Amanda a bath in the winter. It keeps the bathroom toasty warm until she dries. The blow dryer is great, but it can be hard to use if they're afraid of it.

Lisa
12-13-2005, 08:32 PM
I just clean mine with baby wipes during the winter and they get one bath in the spring and one bath in the fall.

oceangirls
12-13-2005, 08:58 PM
Being cold, or being wet and cold does NOT make people or animals sick (and yes, you CAN wash your hair when you are sick). I promise this is true. Somebody even did a study where they took people and exposed them to cold viruses, and then had one group of them get wet and then sit on a block of ice outside in the cold for several hours... and they didn't get any more infections than the dry, warm control group. Sure hope they got paid a lot for volunteering though :).

However, if you take a couple of dogs and subject them to soap, water, AND a chilly house... they ARE going to be very annoyed with you and that will not be fun. I agree with the suggestions given... or run the shower on hot in the bathroom until it is really hot and steamy in there, and then fill the tub for a bath and keep them in there where it is warm until they are more dry. Or if only certain - um - "parts" (paws? rear ends?) are especially dirty, you might be able to do a partial wash - that way they are not soaked, and may choose to forgive you sooner.:)

LUVMYGUNNER
12-13-2005, 09:18 PM
Petsmart has a foam shampoo that works great, but I do second doggy wipes-you can get them at any pet store.

Kerie
12-19-2005, 03:09 AM
I would not use the hairdryer. So many Dachsies have flaky or dry skin and I can't imagine the hairdryer being any good. I would bathe one pupper at a time and then spend the next hour cuddling with the pup wrapped in a huge towel. And if the towel get soaked, get another one.

ooooh, another idea--use a towel hot out of the clothes dryer!!!!