PDA

View Full Version : ARRRGH More Boomies!!

Jen
06-08-2006, 10:36 AM
Last night it was raining, as it had been all day (new records set, oh boy). At 9 it let up and I took Tasha out on walkies, I knew she needed to go. Well, we're walking along and boom. Boom. Boom. :wtf: Oh man, its freaking Wednesday night, and despite a day long rain, they were setting off fireworks!! Who is constantly setting them off on Wed nights? I cannot figure out, but some weeks I can see them in the harbor.

Well, DH came home just after it ended and he took her out and got the required #1 and #2. And I MUST remember to take her out earlier on Wed nights!!

Tex
06-08-2006, 10:40 AM
Is there anyway you can contact the police or maybe the major's office about the fireworks? Or is it all considered private property so people can be as mean as they want? Poor Tasha....hang in there.

Da Brat
06-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Man.. Sometimes I am so glad fireworks are illegal here!!

Poor Tasha!

Almost Doxie
06-08-2006, 10:51 AM
I was just at the vet this morning and they said that the 4th is the vet's worst holiday because of dogs freaking out and jumping through windows and terrible things. Have you ever tried Rescue Remedy to help calm them down? It doesn't work for Tucker on car trips but seems to help with thunder and fireworks. We are going to try a good dose of Benadryl before the 4th to see is that will help. Fireworks are the worst!

Jen
06-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Sorry, to clarify, these are offical fireworks done by pros, not bratty kids. So there's not much we can do!! :sosad:

Lisa
06-08-2006, 10:58 AM
We are supposed to be getting Thunderstorms tonight, so I have already implemented:

operation: Melatonin.

Squeak (aka Pixel) got 1/4 caplet with breakfast and the prisoner was locked up while the warden went to work. Squeak will get another small dose when the warden returns home and hopefully this will be successful in overcoming the terror (aka boomers) that resides in our household.

A full report to follow....

Jen
06-08-2006, 11:13 AM
I'll be eagerly awaiting the report--even though anti-medication DH already said NO to Melatonin. With all of the storms and fireworks, maybe she'll get used to them? :crossfin:

She's been a bit better, just shaking and following us around....

Almost Doxie
06-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Rescue Remedy is flower extracts that can be put in their water or directly on their tongie and just takes the edge off.

Jen
06-08-2006, 11:26 AM
Oh I know, its herbal, and Lisa kindly sent me an herbal one that didn't work on Pixel, but DH is sooo against giving her anything. I may try it when he's not home....

Bella's Mom
06-08-2006, 01:28 PM
Poor Tasha! I'm sure hearing the fireworks all the time is starting to wear on you too!

oceangirls
06-08-2006, 04:19 PM
I wonder if there is any way you could desensitization train Tasha for fireworks... probably not without setting them off yourself :rolleyes:. I doubt they make a CD of firework sounds.

Good luck with "Squeak," Lisa. Love that name. May have to borrow that...

Alex's Mom
06-08-2006, 04:26 PM
I wonder if there is any way you could desensitization train Tasha for fireworks... probably not without setting them off yourself :rolleyes:. I doubt they make a CD of firework sounds.
Actually, you can buy sound effect CDs, and I'm sure there'd be one with fireworks on it. But would it work, I wonder?

quavec
06-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Poor Tasha. There are always kids setting them off around here -even with the burn bans. Cricket does okay with them - doens't like them but he 'deals' with it by peeing then running - sometimes it seems like he is peeing AND running.

Jen
06-08-2006, 04:56 PM
A nice thought Kim and Paula, but Tasha doesn't react to thunder or fireworks on tv, so I don't think it would work. But if the library has an effects CD I check it out and try it...

lotsadox
06-08-2006, 05:12 PM
It might work to play the CD and give her treats or play with a favorite toy so that she associates the boom with something positive.

Jen
06-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Yes, I thought of and dismissed desensitization simply because she doesn't react to thunder/fireworks on tv. But just in case, I'll try it with a sound effects CD from the library. You never know...

K2
06-08-2006, 06:55 PM
Poor Tasha!! I hope she's getting used to all those boomies!! :bighug: