PDA

View Full Version : Why DO they Zoom???

Peteys Mom
06-14-2006, 03:50 PM
Just curious...is there any "explanation" for the dachsie zoomies? Do any other breeds do this? I had NEVER seen a dog do zoomies until I got Petey, and when you mix two adult cats into the chase, all you can do is curl up out of the way and laugh your butt off :rotfl: :rotfl:

So share with us...your opinions on and experiences with ZOOOOOMIESSSSS :banana:

oceangirls
06-14-2006, 04:02 PM
My cocker spaniels did it sometimes too, so I don't think it is breed-specific :)

I like to watch my two. Cassie is much more energetic - she will literally run circles around her sister (and occasionally bite her on the way past)... Angel sometimes just stands there with a puzzled look on her face:confused: .

Almost Doxie
06-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Definately not a dachshund thing. We have crestie zoomies too at our house.

Does anyone else notice that giving a bath ALWAYS sets off the zoomies as if running that fast will help them dry?

goldbergdsp
06-14-2006, 04:09 PM
Remy was out in the back yard last night with my sisters dachshund & the were flying...Remy was right on End Zone's tail (end zone is the name of my sisters dog) & end zone decided to turn right, well Remy was moving so fast & he tried to make the turn & basically just slid out like he was on a patch of ice.....He was ok, so it was pretty funny!

Anatresia
06-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Bath = Zoomies- you're right! Esp. Mr. Butters- he always zooms after a bath, and rubs himself on any surface he can find. The best is after swimming in the pool, he gets out and dries off on all of our clothing (we wear a shirt or shorts until we hop in the pool, not that we skinny dip!):rotfl:

lizzieb38
06-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Zoomies are for everyone. Willie and the cats play tag all the time!

areese
06-14-2006, 04:13 PM
I think all dogs zoom. Why? I do not know. Excess energy I guess.
Baths set off mine for sure!

mcvwdox
06-14-2006, 04:28 PM
The funny thing is, at least for my doxies, is that the Zoomie incidents are unpredictable (except after baths for Cocoa)!

Rae
06-14-2006, 05:01 PM
Duchie has perfected the sliding zoomie. She zooomies right side up and at the last minute (upon approach) flips onto her back and slides in to home mom for belly rubs.

areese
06-14-2006, 05:11 PM
Duchie has perfected the sliding zoomie. She zooomies right side up and at the last minute (upon approach) flips onto her back and slides in to home mom for belly rubs.

I'd love to see that!!!!

Chris
06-14-2006, 05:24 PM
There is provoked zoomies (they are playing and they just take off) and unprovoked (when Alex suddenly starts running laps around the living room with no apparent "trigger" just for the heck of it). :)

There is also the "victory dance" as DH describes that Al sometimes does.

Tex
06-14-2006, 05:27 PM
Maybe we should ask Cesar Milan? Wonder if he has any insight into zoomies? Anyone have his e-mail?!?!?!?!?!:scratch:

Patt
06-14-2006, 09:38 PM
All breeds like to do Zoomies. My theory..... They are an expression of joy and excitement that is being experienced by the animal. :sausage:

catstamm
06-15-2006, 01:05 AM
I'll buy that Patt...that's exactly what it looks like too...... mine even stop to look at me ....as if to say , "Cmon Mom, do it...it's fun..." :banana: :banana: :banana:

Goob
06-15-2006, 01:08 AM
I like Patt's theory. I grew up with a golden retriever and she did zoomies too. :banana:

Jen
06-15-2006, 03:55 PM
Great theory Patt!

Tasha does post bath zoomies and impromptu zoomies. And on hardwood sometimes sideways zoomies--not intentional--she flipped over sideways last night after skidding out. I had to laugh....:rotfl: :rotfl:

Patt
06-15-2006, 07:04 PM
Great theory Patt!

Tasha does post bath zoomies and impromptu zoomies. And on hardwood sometimes sideways zoomies--not intentional--she flipped over sideways last night after skidding out. I had to laugh....:rotfl: :rotfl:
I think they enjoy seeing us laugh too, which makes them do it all the more. :rotfl: Got to :love5: 'em.

JanUet
06-15-2006, 08:07 PM
I'll buy that Patt...that's exactly what it looks like too...... mine even stop to look at me ....as if to say , "Cmon Mom, do it...it's fun..." :banana: :banana: :banana:

I can just visualize that! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Mine do zoomies after coming in from the Rain as well as after their bath.