View Full Version : Losing Baby Teeth

Peteys Mom
06-14-2006, 03:56 PM
Petey is now almost 6 months old, and he has been teething for several weeks. I actually found one of his baby teeth stuck to the side of his tongue one day :shocked: Mostly though, we just find bloodstains on his chew toys, especially BoBo. I've checked his mouth repeatedly, thinking he has cut himself on something, but I never find anything inside his mouth. Is it normal for them to bleed as they lose baby teeth? Also, how long does this typically take? Looking into his mouth is like wrestling a rabid monkey on speed :duh: , so I really haven't been able to count teeth or do any CLOSE exams.

lizzieb38
06-14-2006, 04:06 PM
: Looking into his mouth is like wrestling a rabid monkey on speed :duh: , so I really haven't been able to count teeth or do any CLOSE exams.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: God I know what you mean. Willie just hates it too. Anyhoo, a little bleeding is normal. Willie had his baby fangs, and his adult fangs at the same time "Better to bite you with Momma"- finally they came out. Don't worry too much about it.

Tex
06-14-2006, 05:13 PM
Julie's teeth bled a little, so unless he's bleeding like a "rabid monkey on crack" I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Patt
06-14-2006, 09:48 PM
Agree with the others, no big deal a little bleeding is normal. If the bleeding continues give your vet a call.

Maybe the tooth :fairy: will visit tonight with a new toy. :)

lizzieb38
06-14-2006, 11:05 PM
OOOOH she must be a brave little fairy:rotfl: , cuz I'm pretty sure Willie swallowed most of his toofers!!!!

catstamm
06-14-2006, 11:51 PM
I was lucky with Cami...I have all 4 of her baby canines saved....

Patt
06-15-2006, 04:33 AM
Also, how long does this typically take? Looking into his mouth is like wrestling a rabid monkey on speed :duh: , so I really haven't been able to count teeth or do any CLOSE exams.
They start losing their puppy teeth around 4 months and that will last until they are 6 or 7 months old. This is "in general" as each dog is different. As an adult he may have 42 teeth give or take a few.

Now is the time to get started with brushing Petey's teeth! Be sure to use doggie tooth paste. :)

Peteys Mom
06-15-2006, 08:16 AM
They start losing their puppy teeth around 4 months and that will last until they are 6 or 7 months old. This is "in general" as each dog is different. As an adult he may have 42 teeth give or take a few.

Now is the time to get started with brushing Petey's teeth! Be sure to use doggie tooth paste. :)

Thanks for the info guys; last night he lost a lower canine and it bled a lot...we had noticed it was very loose, and then while playing with a toy he swallowed it *gag*.

We've been brushing Petey's teeth since we got him, so he's relatively used to it...loves that beef flavored toothpaste:banana:

Bella's Mom
06-15-2006, 01:32 PM
Bella's bled a little too, but not too much. She was 9 months before the last of her baby teeth fell out.

Jen
06-15-2006, 03:00 PM
I missed out on the baby teeth since Tasha was 2 1/2 when we got her. But I do try to brush her teeth a couple times a week with the yummy beef toothpaste!

oceangirls
06-15-2006, 09:56 PM
a little bleeding is not uncommon :) I remember one of my cockers bleeding frequently when she lost hers but don't remember much with any of my dachshunds. With the girls I believe we found a whole ONE tooth between the two of them.

Often the vet will check and extract any remaining teeth when the dog is spayed/neutered, since that's usually done around 6 months of age (and might as well pull 'em when the pup is already out :) ).