View Full Version : Dental costs?

Cara
06-14-2006, 09:50 PM
Mac and Buddy had their dentals today. I was shocked at the bill, $650.00. Granted Mac has his vaccines, bordatella, distemper, and lyme disease and Buddy had to have one tooth pulled but I expected the total bill to be around $400.00.

What have or do you all pay for dentals?

Patt
06-14-2006, 10:00 PM
Your dogs had quite a lot done, dentals, extraction, exams, and vaccines. That would be a good deal for two dogs in my area. Actually it would have been closer to $700 here.

Cara
06-14-2006, 11:15 PM
Buddy didn't have his vaccines. He is getting over pneumonia and the vets felt it would be too much for him to have the dental and the vaccines.

lizzieb38
06-14-2006, 11:22 PM
Holy C***! We piss and moan about the costs here! I mean, our vet charges $25 just to hear them fart- okay not really, but almost. I think that is just outrageous. I used to work for a vet in Vegas, and the biggest bill we ever had was $1500 for a dog that had to have a K-E apparatus (major league surgery). Think vet stuff is getting out of control, just like it is for people.

Fluffy
06-15-2006, 12:20 AM
That seemed really high to me too! Heidi had a dental right after I got her and I only remember it being in the neighborhood of 85-100!! I about fell over when Cara told me that!!! :shocked:

Alex's Mom
06-15-2006, 06:17 AM
for everything that got done, that actually sounds about right. A dental with anaesthetic etc. here is between $200-$300 and for two dogs with vaccinations etc. I wouldn't be surprised at a bill like that at all! An exam fee in this neck of the woods ranges between $45-$60. Mind you, Alex and I are in and out of the vet so often that I don't even look at prices any more, just hand over my VISA :rotfl:

Tex
06-15-2006, 07:23 AM
This is why I like my vet.......we go to Banfield ("the pet hospital") that is located in most PetSmarts.....not run by PetSmart. Julie is on a wellness plan. I paid around $90.00 to sign up and then about $19.95 per month. I signed her up when she was a puppy.....it covered ALL her vaccines (and if she ever contracted a disease which she had been vaccinated against-they cover 100% of any treatment), covered her spay (~$300), waives the office visit fee ($30.00 per visit) and a lot of other stuff too. This past March I bumped Julie's plan up to the next level so it would cover an annual dental cleaning. Without the plan it would have cost about $250-$300. With the plan (upgraded to $27.95 per month) it covered everything! Since March, I have saved over $500.00 at the vet (what it would have cost me to have the same procedures/checkups without the plan). John thinks I'm crazy, but it's the only way I can afford to provide my baby with the health care she deserves. Just a couple of weeks ago I had to take Julie and Jax (Jax is NOT on a plan) to the vet...they both had minor ear infections. For Jax it cost $85.00 and for Julie $45.00 and they got the same test and medicine. I think it's worth it. Plus I get the piece of mind that even if I'm temporarily broke (ok that's all the time), I can take Julie in for a checkup if I think there's something wrong. Just makes me feel better......

Jill
06-15-2006, 08:25 AM
This is why I like my vet.......we go to Banfield ("the pet hospital") that is located in most PetSmarts.....not run by PetSmart.

Yup, we go to Banfield. I know that some people have different opinions on Banfield, but we have had nothing but great experiences with them, and the wellness plan is great. No office visit charges, no charge for vaccines etc.

Jen
06-15-2006, 09:27 AM
Tasha's dental last Feb was $330 as I recall--so your for TWO sounds like a fair price to me. :)

quavec
06-15-2006, 10:16 AM
Cricket's most recent exam plus microchip and bloodwork was about $200. No extractions or anything special so your's does sound about right. Its crazy.

Bella's Mom
06-15-2006, 01:38 PM
We haven't had to have a dental for Bella yet but I sure hope it doesn't run too high! :shocked: I guess I better be checking into that!

Courtney
06-15-2006, 01:55 PM
Unfortunately I would not say your bill was outrageous. I paid $307 for Napoleon to have a dental and a rear dewclaw removed this year. Are you in northern VA near DC? I imagine vet costs are higher in major metro areas and I know the DC area is expensive. What your vet could or should have done is give you a multi-pet discount. We brought our cats in together for their annuals last year and they gave us 15% off the bill.

Lee Anne
06-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Your dental bill sounds low to me - especially for everything you had done. Vet costs here are through the roof! I like the sound of the wellness plan through that one vet's office though!! It's like pet insurance without the $50 deductable. I'm just SOOOOO leary of vets since I've been through so much with Froggy. :sosad: I've even started to have nightmares about taking my dog(s) in. *sigh* I just wish there was someone I could trust and that I didn't feel raped every time I took them in for something. I've even made Cat start going with me 'cause she would always point out where they were ripping me off after the fact! :shocked:

Haha! See what she gets for trying to help a friend?!? :rotfl:

Cara
06-15-2006, 08:35 PM
I did get the multi-pet discount! I've spent close to $10,000.00 at this vet for my guinea pigs. Yes, the number is right, so I'm no stranger to spending money at the vet. I've had the multi-pet discount there for years now! I haven't had a dog on my own until we adopted these guys two years ago. We didn't get dentals done last summer so this was the first time I've paid for something like this. I had no idea it would be so expensive and the estimate was misleading because there was the gel for the extracted tooth they never mentioned and other little things.

I'm in Southern VA, Hampton Roads area. My vet is in Virginia Beach.